Chernov at an ANZAC Day ceremony in 2013
|28th Governor of Victoria|
8 April 2011 – 30 June 2015
|Lieutenant||Marilyn Warren AC|
|Preceded by||David de Kretser AC|
|Succeeded by||Linda Dessau AM|
|Born||12 May 1938|
|Education||University of Melbourne|
Chernov was born in Lithuania to Russian parents, and migrated with his family to Salzburg, Austria where he commenced his schooling. In 1949 his family migrated to Australia and he completed his schooling at Melbourne High School. He graduated as a Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com.) and a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) (with Honours) from the University of Melbourne in 1961 and 1968 respectively.
Chernov was admitted to practise and signed the Roll of Counsel as a barrister in 1968, practising mostly in commercial law and equity. He was appointed Queen's Counsel in 1980. He was Chairman of the Victorian Bar 1985–86, Vice-President of the Australian Bar Association 1986–87 and President of the Law Council of Australia 1990–91. He was Vice President of LawAsia 1995–1997.
In May 1997 he was appointed to the Trial Division of the Supreme Court of Victoria, and in October 1998 to the Court of Appeal of that Court. He retired from the bench in February 2008.
On 21 February 2011, it was announced that he would become the 28th Governor of Victoria. He assumed that office on 8 April 2011. On the retirement of Dame Marie Bashir as Governor of New South Wales on the 1 October 2014, Chernov became the longest-serving Governor of an Australian state and by custom assumed the additional office of Administrator of the Commonwealth who exercises the powers of the Governor-General of Australia in the Governor-General's absence or disability. Chernov's term of office ended in June 2015, former judge Linda Dessau was appointed as his replacement.
Chernov is married with three children.
Chernov was appointed Queen's Counsel in and for the State of Victoria in 1980.
On 14 May 2014, Chernov was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Laws by Monash University.
- Justice Alex Chernov JA Archived 6 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine., Victorian Bar News, Autumn 2008.
- Chernov sworn in as Victoria's new Governor, ABC News, 8 April 2011.
- Das, Sushi (7 February 2009). "The Melbourne man". The Age.
- Rout, Milanda: Former judge Alex Chernov is Victoria's next governor, The Australian, 21 February 2011.
- Oath of Office as Administrator of the Commonwealth, ComLaw, 24 September 2014.
- It's an Honour
- Hare, Julie (26 January 2012). "Australia Day honours list goes Melbourne's way". The Australian. News Limited. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
| Chancellor of the University of Melbourne
David de Kretser
| Governor of Victoria