Alex Gray (author)
|Born||27 May 1950|
Alex Gray (born 27 May 1950) is a Scottish crime writer. She has published 16 novels, all set around Glasgow and featuring the character of Detective Chief Inspector Lorimer and his psychological profiler Solomon Brightman, the earlier novels being published by Canongate and later books by Little Brown. She has also written several magazine articles.
Alex Gray was brought up in the Craigbank area of Glasgow and attended Hutchesons' Grammar School. Her father was a telecommunications engineer and her mother, originally from Tobermory on the Isle of Mull, was a telephone exchange operator. She studied English and Philosophy at Strathclyde University and was a founding member of Battlefield Band. She worked for a period in the Department of Health & Social Security, before training as an English teacher. In 1976 she lived in Rhodesia for three months, during which time she got married, and she and her husband returned to Scotland. She continued teaching until the 1990s, when she gave the profession up and began to write full-time. Alex is a member of the Femmes Fatales crime writing trio, together with Alanna Knight and Lin Anderson. She is the co-founder with Lin Anderson of Bloody Scotland, Scotland's first international crime writing festival in Stirling. Gray has a son, a daughter, a granddaughter and a grandson, and currently lives with her husband in Renfrewshire.
She has published 16 novels in the Lorimer series.
- Never Somewhere Else (2002)
- A Small Weeping (2004)
- Shadows Of Sounds (2005)
- The Riverman (2007)
- Pitch Black (2008)
- Glasgow Kiss (2009)
- Five Ways To Kill A Man (2010)
- Sleep like the Dead (2011)
- A Pound of Flesh (2012)
- The Swedish Girl (2013)
- The Bird That Did Not Sing (2014)
- Keep The Midnight Out (2015)
- The Darkest Goodbye (2016)
- Still Dark (2017)
- Only the Dead Can Tell (2018)
- The Stalker (2019)
- "The Official Gateway to Scotland - Scotland is Now". Scotland.
- "Sir Billy Connolly joins me in Scottish Traditional Music Hall of Fame: I'm a founder member of The Battlefield Band". Twitter. 28 September 2017. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 11 May 2010. Retrieved 12 August 2009.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Upcoming Events | Alex Gray Presents: New Crimes | Bloody Scotland". www.bloodyscotland.com. Archived from the original on 19 October 2017. Retrieved 19 October 2017.