Hinshaw with the San Francisco Giants
October 31, 1982 |
|May 15, 2008, for the San Francisco Giants|
|Last MLB appearance|
|August 27, 2012, for the Chicago Cubs|
|Earned run average||5.11|
Alexander "Alex" Omar Hinshaw (born October 31, 1982) is an American former professional baseball pitcher. He graduated from Claremont High School and attended Chaffey College and San Diego State University. He played in Major League Baseball for the San Francisco Giants, San Diego Padres and Chicago Cubs from 2008-2012.
San Francisco Giants
Hinshaw was drafted by the San Francisco Giants in 28th round of the 2000 First-Year Player draft, the 29th round of the 2002 draft, and by the Florida Marlins in the 25th round of the 2003 draft, but did not sign. In the 2005 draft, he was once again selected by the Giants in the 15th round and made his professional debut with the Class A Salem-Keizer Volcanoes. He finished with a 3.68 ERA in 25 relief appearances, struck out 33 batters and walked 18 in 22 innings.
For the advanced Class A San Jose Giants in 2006, Hinshaw had a 6–3 record with a 4.26 ERA in 30 games, giving up 58 hits and striking out 78 in 692⁄3 innings. He struck out a season high nine batters in five shutout innings to earn a win on May 11, 2006. On May 15, 2008, Hinshaw made his major league debut after being called up when Merkin Valdéz went on the disabled list. Facing the Houston Astros, he gave up one hit and struck out one in 1/3 of an inning.
San Diego Padres
Hinshaw signed a minor league contract with the San Diego Padres on December 1, 2011. He was designated for assignment on August 14, 2012, and claimed off waivers by the Chicago Cubs on August 19. On October 6, 2012 Hinshaw elected free agency. In 37 games with the Padres, Hinshaw had a 4.50 ERA while striking out 36 in 28 innings. In 2 games with the Cubs, Hinshaw had a 135.00 ERA, giving up 5 runs while recording 1 out.
Toronto Blue Jays
On November 21, 2012, the Toronto Blue Jays announced that Hinshaw had been signed to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training. Hinshaw started the 2013 season with the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons but encountered troubles with walks (17 in 11 innings pitched), and was released on May 10.
Hinshaw signed with the Wichita Wingnuts for the 2014 season.
Parents are Robert and Homa Hinshaw of Claremont, California.
Minor league honors
- 2006 CAL Mid-Season All-Star
- 2006 HWB Post-Season All-Star
- 2007 EAS Mid-Season.
- 2008 Arizona Fall League Rising-Star
- First member of the Giant's 2005 draft class to reach the major leagues
- Mennella, Dan (2012-08-14). "Padres Designate Alex Hinshaw For Assignment: MLB Rumors". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- Creech, Edward. "Cubs Claim Alex Hinshaw: MLB Rumors". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "Somerset Patriots sign pitcher Alex Hinshaw". The Messenger-Gazette. May 31, 2013. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- Elliott, Rich (June 21, 2013). "Bluefish watch: Hinshaw to join Bridgeport". ctpost.coom. Retrieved June 22, 2013.