Alex Lees (cricketer)
|Full name||Alexander Zak Lees|
14 April 1993 |
Halifax, Yorkshire, England
|Batting style||Left-handed batsman|
|Bowling style||Leg break|
|Domestic team information|
|2010–present||Yorkshire (squad no. 14)|
|FC debut||5 June 2010 Yorkshire v India A|
|LA debut||29 August 2011 Yorkshire v Worcestershire|
|Source: CricketArchive, 17 April 2017|
Alexander Zak Lees (born 14 April 1993) is an English first-class cricketer. A left-handed batsman and occasional right arm leg-spin bowler, Lees is contracted to Yorkshire County Cricket Club, for whom he has played first-class matches since 2010.
Born in Halifax, Yorkshire, England, Lees attended Holy Trinity Senior School in Halifax. He has been with Yorkshire since 2006, starting at under 13 level. He has played for and captained the Yorkshire Academy in the Yorkshire ECB County Premier League, and the Yorkshire Second XI in the Second XI Championship, and appeared in several first-class matches for Yorkshire. The first was against India A in June 2010, when Lees scored 38 runs. In April 2013, Lees made his maiden first-class century in his third first-class match, when scoring 121 against Leeds/Bradford MCC Universities at Headingley.
He was part of the England player development XI in both 2010 and 2011. In September 2011, Yorkshire CCC announced that Lees had been awarded a 'junior pro contract'. He was given plaudits from the former England opener Geoffrey Boycott, who stated that "I think he's very good ... I like the whole package with him".
Lees played his first match against an England first-class county side in April 2013, when he appeared for Yorkshire against Sussex, and scored a century in his third County Championship match with 100 against Middlesex at Lord's. In July, he played only the 50th innings of over 250 runs for Yorkshire, scoring 275 not out in the first innings of the match against Derbyshire at Queen's Park, Chesterfield. His innings was the third-highest score at the ground and also made him the youngest Yorkshire player to score a double hundred.
In August 2013, Lees was selected to play for England Lions in a two-day friendly match against the Australians at Northampton, opening the batting and scoring 33 runs. He then travelled to Australia with the England Performance Squad, though he did not pass fifty. He also played for the Lions against Sri Lanka A Emerging Players in February 2014, scoring a century in the first match.
- Warner, David (2011). The Yorkshire County Cricket Club: 2011 Yearbook (113th ed.). Ilkley, Yorkshire: Great Northern Books. p. 373. ISBN 978-1-905080-85-4.
- "Alex Lees". Cricketarchive.com. Retrieved 16 July 2011. (subscription required (. ))
- "Tea: Yorkshire v Leeds MCCU (Day 3)". Yorkshireccc.com. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Yorkshire Secure Young Talent". Yorkshireccc.com. Retrieved 21 September 2011.
- Hardcastle, Graham (18 July 2013). "Boycott prophecy fulfilled on Lees". ESPN CricInfo. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- "Middlesex v Yorkshire at Lord's, Jun 11–14, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Derbyshire v Yorkshire at Chesterfield, Jul 17–19, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Player Profile: Alex Lees". ESPN CricInfo. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "Western Australia Second XI v England Performance Programme". ESPN CricInfo. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "Sri Lanka A Emerging Players v England Lions". ESPN CricInfo. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- Winter, Alex (13 February 2014). "Woakes puts Lions in firm control". ESPN CricInfo. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "BBC Sport - Yorkshire: Adam Lyth and Alex Lees win Cricket Writers' awards". BBC Sport. Retrieved 2 October 2014.