|Member of the European Parliament|
for East of England
15 November 2016 – 1 July 2019
|Preceded by||Richard Howitt|
|Succeeded by||Catherine Rowett|
Alexandra Louise Mayer
2 June 1981
High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England
Alexandra Louise Mayer (born 2 June 1981) is a former British Member of the European Parliament (MEP) for the East of England region for the Labour Party. She took up the post in November 2016 following the resignation of Richard Howitt, and lost her seat in the 2019 European Elections.
In the 2014 European Parliament election she stood in for the East of England region in second position on the Labour list, which did not yield a seat, but took over from Richard Howitt following his resignation.
Mayer is a member of the Labour Party's National Policy Forum, a member of the GMB, UNISON and the Co-operative Party.
In the European Parliament she was Labour's spokesperson for the foreign affairs (16-18) and the economy (18-19) and a member of the US-EU Relations Delegation. She is the international co-ordinator for the Washington DC Statehood campaign.
A member of the Labour Animal Welfare Society, Alex is a long-standing animal welfare campaigner, she was awarded the Cruelty Free International Parliamentarian Award and took an 8 million signature petition to the United Nations in New York on the topic of animal free cosmetic testing.
Mayer has been a member of Amnesty International for over twenty years and worked on issues relating to the ongoing human rights abuses in Kashmir, as a member of the European Parliament Friends of Kashmir group.
- "Key dates ahead". European Parliament. 20 May 2017. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- "Key dates ahead". BBC News Online. British Broadcasting Corporation. 22 May 2017. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- "Alex MAYER - Home - MEPs - European Parliament". www.europarl.europa.eu.
- http://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/sites/chelmsford.gov.uk/files/files/files/documents/files/Declaration%20Election%202014%20Alex%20Mayer%20%283%29.pdf[bare URL PDF]
- "Elections 2014: European election candidates for the Eastern region". www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk.
- Conor Pope (5 September 2016). "Senior MEP Richard Howitt to quit Brussels for financial services job". LabourList. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- Sophie Day (27 October 2016). "East of England MEP bids farewall to European Parliament role". The Hunts Post. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- "8th parliamentary term | Alex MAYER | MEPs | European Parliament". www.europarl.europa.eu.
- "From Lougton to New York: Biggest ever animal related petition is handed to the UN". St Albans & Harpenden Review.
- Hutchinson, Paul (27 May 2019). "Here's how Bedford voted in the European Elections".