28 August 1971 (age 49)
Poplar, London, England
|Education||University of Oxford|
|Spouse(s)||Marcus Miller (m. 2007)|
Alessandra Maria Luigia Anna Polizzi di Sorrentino (born 28 August 1971), better known as Alex Polizzi, is an English hotelier, businesswoman, and television personality. Since 2008, she has appeared on the television show The Hotel Inspector on Channel 5, in which she is the central figure.
Polizzi comes from a family of hoteliers, with her maternal grandfather being Lord Forte. Her mother is the Hon. Olga Polizzi, a hotel designer who is Lord Forte's daughter and the sister of Sir Rocco Forte. Her father was Italian marquess Alessandro Polizzi di Sorrentino, who died in a car accident in 1980.
Polizzi backed the Leave campaign during the 2016 British referendum on membership of the EU, but has spoken subsequently of her concern that Brexit could threaten the supply of labour into the hospitality and hotel industry.
Since 2008, Polizzi has presented the Channel 5 series The Hotel Inspector, replacing Ruth Watson. The show sees Polizzi visiting struggling British hotels to try to turn their fortunes around by giving advice and suggestions to the owners/managers, and often undertaking renovation projects on their behalf.
She also fronts the BBC Two series, Alex Polizzi: The Fixer, which focuses on her turning around family businesses, not just hotels. The first series aired in 2012; the second in 2013; a third in 2014 and a fourth in 2015. Polizzi also presented a revisited series called The Fixer Returns in 2013, as well as a Christmas special, which aired in December 2013.
In October 2014, Polizzi launched a new Channel 5 series, Alex Polizzi's Secret Italy, where she visits either lesser-known places within Italy or well-known towns and cities and, using local connections, shows areas that tourists would not ordinarily experience. In October 2014, it was announced that Polizzi would host a new BBC Two series, Alex Polizzi: Chefs on Trial, where she visits various food outlets. The series began airing on 20 April 2015.
In March 2017, Polizzi released Spectacular Spain with Alex Polizzi and then Our Dream Hotel on 6 June. From February 2018, she invited her Irish brother-in-law, the restaurateur Oliver Peyton, to join her in a new Channel 5 series Peyton And Polizzi’s Restaurant Rescue, where they pool their experience to play firefighters and turn round failing restaurants.
Polizzi lives in London with her husband Marcus Miller, whom she married in 2007, along with their daughter and son. Polizzi is bilingual, being fluent in English and Italian. Her sister Charlotte is married to Oliver Peyton, an Irish restaurateur and a judge on the BBC television series, Great British Menu. Sir Rocco Forte is also her uncle.
|2008—||The Hotel Inspector||Presenter||Channel 5|
|2012–2015||Alex Polizzi: The Fixer||BBC Two|
|2014—||Alex Polizzi's Secret Italy||Channel 5|
|2015||Alex Polizzi: Chefs on Trial||BBC Two|
|Alex Polizzi's Italian Islands||Channel 5|
|Alex Polizzi: Hire Our Heroes||BBC Two|
|2017—||Spectacular Spain with Alex Polizzi||Channel 5|
|Our Dream Hotel|
|2018—||Peyton and Polizzi's Restaurant Rescue||Co-presenter|
|2018—||The Wright Stuff||Regular commentator and panellist||Channel 5|
- "Alessandra Maria Luigia Anna POLIZZI DI SORRENTINO - Personal Appointments (free information from Companies House)". Beta.companieshouse.gov.uk. Retrieved 1 March 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Burke's Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage 2003, vol. 1, p. 1472
- "Alex Polizzi – British Hotelier and Television Presenter". Hotel & Resort Insider. Archived from the original on 7 October 2013. Retrieved 18 September 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Alex Polizzi". TVLives.com. Retrieved 29 August 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Rivkin, Annabel (20 January 2012). "Alex Polizzi, a most unlikely sex bomb". London Evening Standard. Retrieved 18 September 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Barber, Lynn (30 October 2005). "At last, a country house where fun isn't frowned on". The Observer. London. Retrieved 29 August 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Relative Values: Olga Polizzi and her daughter Alexandra". The Sunday Times. 1 July 2007. Retrieved 18 September 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) (subscription required)
- "Remain Or Brexit? How The Stars Are Voting". Huffingtonpost.co.uk. 21 June 2016. Retrieved 21 March 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Group names pro-Brexit business heads". BBC News. 26 March 2016. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Re-launch celebration after Yeadon store's refurb". Wharfedale Observer. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "Hotel Inspector Alex Polizzi poached by BBC for new show". The Daily Telegraph. London. 1 July 2011. Retrieved 23 October 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Alex Polizzi to star in new Channel 5 travel show Secret Italy". Radio Times. Retrieved 7 August 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Twofour. "Twofour commissioned to produce Alex Polizzi For Hire". Twofour.co.uk. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "Spectacular Spain with Alex Polizzi". Channel 5. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Our Dream Hotel". Channel 5. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Peyton And Polizzi’s Restaurant Rescue". Channel 5 website, 2018-02-07.
- "Hotel Inspector Alex Polizzi says she loves not being angry on new show - Sunday Post". Sunday Post. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "The UK's Favourite Churches". Favouritechurches.org.uk. Retrieved 10 April 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)