Alexander Nicholas Ernst Stieda (born April 13, 1961) is a former professional road bicycle racer from Canada. Stieda led five classifications of the Tour de France on the second day of the 1986 Tour de France: the general classification, the mountains classification, the combination classification, the intermediate sprints classification and the young rider classification, becoming the first North American to lead the Tour de France. He finished in 120th place, in his only Tour de France, riding on the 7-Eleven - Hoonved Cycling Team. He also placed bronze in the 1982 Australian Commonwealth Games, and competed at the 1984 Summer Olympics for his native country. At the 1983 Summer Universiade he won the bronze medal in the men's individual pursuit. He also competed in the individual pursuit and points race events at the 1984 Summer Olympics. Alex is the co-founder of the Tour of Alberta professional cycling race.
- Tour de France:
- First North American to wear the yellow jersey
- Canadian Tire Series
- ^ Birth data
- ^ "History of Canadians in the Tour". TSN.ca. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- ^ "Track Cycling Universiade". sportfieber.pytalhost.com. Archived from the original on 22 October 2014. Retrieved 22 October 2014.
- ^ "Alex Stieda". Sports Reference. Archived from the original on 18 April 2020. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Alex Stieda at Cycling Archives
- Official Tour de France results for Alex Stieda at the Wayback Machine (archived 2010-07-16)
- Alex Stieda at the Commonwealth Games Federation
- Alex Stieda at Olympedia
- 1961 births
- Living people
- Sportspeople from Vancouver
- Canadian male cyclists
- Sportspeople from Ontario
- Olympic cyclists of Canada
- Cyclists at the 1984 Summer Olympics
- Commonwealth Games bronze medallists for Canada
- Cyclists at the 1982 Commonwealth Games
- Commonwealth Games medallists in cycling
- Universiade medalists in cycling
- Universiade bronze medalists for Canada
- Medalists at the 1983 Summer Universiade
- Medallists at the 1982 Commonwealth Games
- Canadian cycling biography stubs