|No. 11 Tennessee Titans|
|Date of birth:||November 11, 1987|
|Place of birth:||Lexington, Illinois|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||220 lb (100 kg)|
|High school:||Lexington (IL)|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2015|
Tanney was a three-sport high school standout athlete at Lexington High School in Lexington, Illinois. He was a two time first team Illinois All-State quarterback and led his team to the IHSA state semi-finals his senior year, and he holds nearly every football passing record at LHS. He was also named an All-State basketball player and is the all time leading point scorer in Lexington High School history. In addition to his football career, Tanney also placed at the IHSA State Track and Field Finals his junior and senior years.
Tanney broke nearly every school record during his time at Monmouth. His career began in 2007 when he threw for 2,678 yards and 24 TDs. In his sophomore season in 2008, Tanney broke the Monmouth record of single season TD passes with 50. For his junior campaign, Tanney threw for 3,856 yards and 44 TDs which led him to be named the Melberger Award winner as D-III's top player. After redshirting the 2010 season with an injury, he came back in 2011 and threw for a career high 3,867 yards along with 38 TDs. He won three Midwest Conference Offensive Player of the Year Awards in his college career along with numerous All-American Awards.
In 2011 a quarterback trick shot video highlighting Tanney's talent went viral. Subsequently in July 2011, History Channel’s Stan Lee’s Superhumans filmed an episode featuring Tanney. The episode featured Tanney's "super-human" throwing accuracy.
On October 29, 2011, in a game against Carroll University, Tanney set the NCAA record for all-time all-division career touchdown passes with 150, surpassing Jimmy Terwilliger's record of 148. Tanney finished his collegiate career with 157 touchdown passes and also holds the D-III record for most passing yards in a career with 14,249.
On July 21, 2013, the Cowboys signed Tanney to their roster. On August 4, 2013, Tanney played the entire second half of the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio. In five 2013 preseason games (including the August 29 finale against the Houston Texans, in which he played all but one series) Tanney completed 40 of 73 passes for 423 yards and a touchdown, with two interceptions. Tanney was released by the Cowboys on August 30, 2013. After clearing waivers, Tanney was assigned to the Cowboys' eight-player practice squad.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tanney was signed to the practice squad of the Tennessee Titans on December 16, 2014. He signed a futures contract with the Titans on December 29, 2014. The Titans released Tanney on September 5, 2015.
Tanney was signed to the practice squad of the Buffalo Bills on September 7, 2015. This is Tanney's second experience with the team; he had previously received a tryout in 2012 but was not signed. Tanney was dropped from the practice squad a day later, after the team re-signed Matt Cassel.
On December 21, 2015 Tanney was signed off the Colts practice squad by the Tennessee Titans. He relieved Zach Mettenberger to make his NFL regular-season debut against the Colts on January 3, 2016, going 10-for-14 for 99 yards and throwing his first career touchdown pass, to Dorial Green-Beckham.
Awards and accomplishments
|NCAA record for all-time career touchdown passes (157)||1||2011|
|NCAA Division III record for passing yards (14,249)||1||2011|
|Associated Press Little All-American||1||2011|
|AFCA Division III Coaches' All-American||1||2011|
|D3football.com All-West Region||3||2008,2009, 2011|
|D3football.com All-American||2||2009, 2011|
|Melberger Award Trophy||1||2009|
|Offensive Player of the Year in the Midwest Conference||3||2008, 2009, 2011|
|All-Time record for pass-completions (Illinois)||1||2006|
|Third all-time for most pass completions, season (Illinois)||1||2006|
|Illinois All-State||2||2005, 2006|
- Frey, Aaron (2011-07-23). "Fighting Scots QB Tanney to be featured on History Channel". Galesburg.com. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- Jay Ratliff on Cowboys' PUP list; Demetress Bell signs, NFL.com, Retrieved July 21, 2013
- Cleveland Browns sign Alex Tanney from the Dallas Cowboys' practice squad, Dallas Morning News. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
-  Retrieved May 12, 2014.
- BUCCANEERS TRIM ROSTER
- Titans add TE Matthew Mulligan to active roster, place TE Brett Brackett on IR and sign QB Alex Tanney to practice squad, Titans Official Website. Retrieved December 16, 2014.
- "Alex Tanney". kffl.com. Retrieved December 31, 2014.
- Talbot, Ryan. "QB Alex Tanney joining the Buffalo Bills". Buffalo Football Report.
- "Bills add Andre Fluellen to 53-man roster; Five added to practice squad". BuffaloBills.com. September 7, 2015. Retrieved September 7, 2015.
- "Indianapolis Colts make practice squad move". blogs.colts.com. September 29, 2015. Retrieved September 29, 2015.
- "Indianapolis Colts make roster moves". colts.com. October 20, 2015. Retrieved October 20, 2015.
- "Indianapolis Colts make practice squad moves". colts.com. November 10, 2015. Retrieved November 10, 2015.
- John Glennon (December 22, 2015). "Titans sign QB Alex Tanney, place Mike Martin on IR". The Tennesseean. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- Jim Wyatt (January 3, 2016). "Titans Fall Short at Indy in Season Finale". TitansOnline.com. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- Midwest Conference Football Newsletter - Nov 20, 2008
- Illinois High School Association Boys Football Records History - Individual Passing & Receiving