Alex Webb (photographer)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||May 5, 1952|
San Francisco, California
He's authored 16 books, including Hot Light/Half-Made Worlds (1986), Under a Grudging Sun (1989) From The Sunshine State (1996), Amazon (1997) Crossings (2003), Istanbul (2007), The Suffering of Light (2011), La Calle (2016), as well as four books with photographer Rebecca Norris Webb, his wife and creative partner--Violet Isle (2009), Memory City (2014), Alex Webb and Rebecca Norris Webb on Street Photography and the Poetic Image (2014), and Slant Rhymes (2017).
He has exhibited at museums worldwide, including the Whitney Museum of Art, NYC, the Metropolitan Museum, NYC, and the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, Georgia. He was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship in 2007. He has contributed to Geo, Time, National Geographic, and The New York Times Magazine among others.
Born in San Francisco, Webb was raised in New England. Webb first became interested in photography as a high school student and in 1972 attended the Apeiron Workshops in Millerton, New York, where he met Magnum photographers Bruce Davidson and Charles Harbutt. He went on to study history and literature at Harvard University (graduating in 1974), but also studied photography at the Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts. By 1974 he was working as a photojournalist and in 1976 he became an associate member of Magnum Photos. During this time he documented small-town life in the American South. He also did some work in the Caribbean and Mexico, which led him, in 1978, to begin working in color, which he has continued to do.
Webb's work has been exhibited around the world, including at the Walker Art Center, the Museum of Photographic Arts, the International Center of Photography, the High Museum of Art, the Museum of Contemporary Art in San Diego, and the Whitney Museum of American Art. His work is in numerous collections. He has received commissions from the High Museum of Art as well as the Banesto Foundation in Spain.
Publications by Webb
- Hot Light/Half-Made Worlds: Photographs from the Tropics, New York: Thames & Hudson, 1986. ISBN 978-0-500-54116-6
- Under a Grudging Sun: Photographs from Haiti Libere, New York: Thames & Hudson, 1989. ISBN 978-0-500-27544-3
- From The Sunshine State: Photographs of Florida, New York: Monacelli Press, Inc., 1996. ISBN 978-1-885254-23-8
- Amazon: From the Floodplains to the Clouds USA: Monacelli Press, Inc., 1997. ISBN 978-1-885254-77-1
- Dislocations, Edition of 40. Massachusttes: Film Study Center at Harvard University, 1998-1999.
- Crossings: Photographs from the U.S.-Mexico Border. New York: Monacelli Press, 2003. ISBN 978-1-58093-096-3. With an essay by Tom Miller.
- Istanbul: City of a Hundred Names. New York: Aperture, 2007. ISBN 978-1-59711-034-1. With Orhan Pamuk
- The Caribbean.
- The Suffering of Light. New York: Aperture, 2011. ISBN 978-1-59711-173-7
- Contatti. Provini d'Autore = Choosing the best photo by using the contact sheet. Vol. II. Edited by Giammaria De Gasperis. Rome: Postcart, 2013. ISBN 978-88-98391-01-1.
- La Calle. New York, NY: Aperture. 2016. p.176. ISBN 978-1-59711-371-7.
Publications paired with Rebecca Norris Webb
- Violet Isle. Santa Fe: Radius Books, 2009. ISBN 978-1-934435-18-2. With Rebecca Norris Webb and Pico Iyer.
- Alex Webb & Rebecca Norris Webb: Memory City. Sante Fe, NM: Radius Books. 2014. p. 172. ISBN 978-1-934435-76-2. With Norris Webb.
- Alex Webb and Rebecca Norris Webb on Street Photography and the Poetic Image: The Photography Workshop Series. New York, NY: Aperture. 2014. p. 128. ISBN 978-1-59711-257-4. With Norris Webb. Introduction by Teju Cole.
- Slant Rhymes. Madrid: La Fábrica, 2017. ISBN 978-8416248865. With Norris Webb.
Publications with contributions by Webb
- Endure: Renewal from Ground Zero. New York: Rockefeller Foundation, 2001. ISBN 0891840613. By Webb, Antonín Kratochvíl, Jurek Wajdowicz, Carolina Salguero and Larry Towell.
- Alex Webb Habla Con Max Kozloff, Conversaciones con fotógrafos. Barcelona, Spain: La Fabrica, 2003. ISBN 978-8495471727. Pp. 75.
- Conversations with Contemporary Photographers. New York: Umbrage, 2005. ISBN 978-1884167485. Transcript of a conversation between Webb and Max Kozloff. Pp. 150.
- Home. Tokyo: Magnum Photos Tokyo, 2018. ISBN 978-4-9909806-0-3.
- 1988: Leopold Godowsky, Jr. Color Photography Award, Photographic Resource Center (PRC) at Boston University
- 2007: Guggenheim Fellowship from the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation.
- "Look 3 Report: Alex Webb on His Creative Process, Kodachrome, and Magnum - PDNPulse". pdnonline.com. June 10, 2012. Retrieved March 10, 2018.
- Estrin, James. "Alex Webb: Rendering a Complex World, in Color and Black-and-White". nytimes.com. Retrieved March 10, 2018.
- Dyer, Geoff (May 13, 2011). "Alex Webb: More is more". the Guardian. Retrieved March 10, 2018.
- GRYGIEL, MAREK (July 30, 2005). "Interview with Alex Webb". fototapeta.art.pl. Retrieved March 10, 2018.
- "Web Norris Home". www.webbnorriswebb.com. Retrieved March 10, 2018.
- "Magnum Photos Home". www.magnumphotos.com. Retrieved March 10, 2018.
- "National Geographic biography". nationalgeographic.com. Retrieved March 10, 2018.
- Times, Los Angeles (June 13, 2013). "reFramed: In conversation with Alex Webb". latimes.com. Retrieved March 10, 2018.
- LensCulture, Alex Webb. "Slant Rhymes - Photographs by Alex Webb and Rebecca Norris Webb - Review by Lev Feigin - LensCulture". lensculture.com. Retrieved March 10, 2018.
- Cole, Teju (August 11, 2014). "Slant Rhymes: Alex Webb and Rebecca Norris Webb on "Memory City"". The New Yorker. Retrieved October 9, 2015.
- "Past Winners". Photographic Resource Center (PRC) at Boston University. Accessed March 8, 2018.
- "Alex Webb"". John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. Accessed March 8, 2018.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Alex Webb (photographer)|
- Personal Web site
- A Spotlight on the Season’s Top Photography Books by Luc Sante, New York Times.
- Slant Rhymes: Alex Webb and Rebecca Norris Webb on “Memory City” by Teju Cole, The New Yorker.
- Capturing Complexity and Color in Mexico by James Estrin, The New York Times Lens Blog.
- Portfolio at Magnum Photos
- Museum of Contemporary Photography biography and works
- National Geographic magazine: Alex Webb