Alex White (baseball)
Alex White pitching for the Akron Aeros in 2010
August 29, 1988 |
Greenville, North Carolina
|April 30, 2011 for the Cleveland Indians|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||6.03|
Alex Bruce White (born August 29, 1988) is an American professional baseball player is an pitcher for the Atlanta Braves organization. He made his MLB debut with the Cleveland Indians in 2011, and also pitched for the Colorado Rockies in 2011 and 2012.
White attended D.H. Conley High School in his hometown of Greenville, North Carolina and won two state championships with the team. After his senior year of high school, he attended the University of North Carolina, where he played college baseball for the North Carolina Tar Heels.
On July 30, 2011, White was traded to the Colorado Rockies with Drew Pomeranz, Matt McBride, and minor leaguer Joe Gardner for Ubaldo Jiménez. With the Rockies, White did not enjoy his half season of 2011 with Colorado, as his ERA sat at 8.42 in 7 starts, he also surrender 12 home runs in just 36.1 innings.
On September 10, 2012, White hit his first career home run off Ryan Vogelsong of the San Francisco Giants. In 23 games (20 starts) for the Rockies, White finished the season with a record of 2-9 in 98 innings.
On December 4, 2012, White was traded to the Houston Astros with minor leaguer Alex Gillingham for Wilton López and a player to be named later or cash from the Astros. The player was later named as outfielder Jose Monzon.
On April 7, 2015, White was designated for assignment. White was released by the team on June 8, 2015.
- "Indians take North Carolina pitcher Alex White with first round pick in amateur draft". MLB.com. June 2009. Archived from the original on September 30, 2013. Retrieved April 5, 2011.
- "Baseball America 2011 Top 100 Prospects". Baseball America. February 23, 2011. Archived from the original on January 3, 2014.
- Jordan Bastian (April 28, 2011). "White to make big league debut Saturday". Retrieved April 28, 2011.
- Steve Kornacki (April 29, 2011). "Indians phenom Alex White makes MLB debut". MLive. Archived from the original on August 27, 2014. Retrieved September 5, 2012.
- "Ubaldo Jimenez traded to Indians". ESPN.com. Associated Press. August 1, 2011. Archived from the original on November 13, 2013.
- "Rockies acquire RHP Wilton Lopez from Houston". MLB.com. December 4, 2012. Archived from the original on July 15, 2014. Retrieved December 5, 2012.
- Links, Zach (May 1, 2013). "Rockies, Astros Complete Wilton Lopez Trade". MLB Trade Rumors. Archived from the original on August 27, 2014. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- Brian T. Smith (April 5, 2013). "Astros’ Alex White to undergo Tommy John surgery; E. Gonzalez designated for assignment". Houston Chronicle. Archived from the original on December 3, 2013. Retrieved April 6, 2013.
- "Alex White arrested on DUI suspicion". ESPN.com. Associated Press. March 4, 2012. Archived from the original on September 4, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- North Carolina Tar Heels bio