|Born||Alexandra E. Witt
April 9, 1961
|Status||Host of Weekends with Alex Witt|
|Education||University of Southern California|
Alex Witt (born Alexandra E. Witt, April 9, 1961) is an American news anchor, who currently hosts the television news programs MSNBC Live and Morning Joe First Look on MSNBC. Witt joined the network in January 1999.
Early life and education
Witt was born in Pasadena, California, and grew up in the Hancock Park neighborhood of Los Angeles. Witt's father is Dr. Charles B. Witt, M.D., a noted thoracic surgeon in Los Angeles. Witt graduated from the Marlborough School for Girls in Los Angeles and the University of Southern California, where she majored in journalism and international relations.
Witt first served as a field producer for the Today Show in Burbank, California. Her first on-air job was at KCBA in Salinas, California. She later worked for KCBS-TV, KNBC-TV, and KABC-TV, each of which are located in communities adjacent to Los Angeles. She served as a reporter at KCBA from 1990–1992 and WNYW-TV from 1996–1998. Since 1999, Witt has been with MSNBC as an anchor. She once hosted the weekend program Weekends with Alex Witt, which was later re-branded as MSNBC Live.
Witt is married to TV producer Bill Sorensen. Witt has noted on-air that she is related to George Washington. She is a second cousin, seven generations removed to George Washington through Bailey Washington, a cousin and contemporary of President Washington. She is a member of the National Society of Washington Family Descendants. She is a member of the band Mrs. Robinson.
- Shapiro, Dani (December 2009). "My Favorite Place: Alex Witt". Travel and Leisure. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- "Alex Witt". MSNBC. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- New York Post: "TV anchor's away with $$" By KATHIANNE BONIELLO March 20, 2011
- The Daily Mail: "Blonde MSNBC anchor sued by best friend after failing to repay $65k loan" By Daniel Bates March 21, 2011
- New York Times: "Here's to You, Mrs. Robinson: A New Band in the 'Burbs" By IRENA CHOI STERN July 29, 2001