Alexa & Katie
|Alexa & Katie|
|Created by||Heather Wordham|
|Opening theme||"Alexa and Katie Main Title Theme" performed by Paris Berelc|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||23 (list of episodes)|
|Cinematography||Christian La Fountaine|
|Running time||23–30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Vanity Logo Productions|
|Original release||March 23, 2018 –|
Alexa & Katie is an American sitcom created by Heather Wordham as a Netflix original series. Matthew Carlson serves as showrunner. The series stars Paris Berelc and Isabel May as Alexa and Katie, respectively, with Jolie Jenkins, Emery Kelly, Eddie Shin, Finn Carr, Tiffani Thiessen and Jack Griffo also starring. The series debuted on Netflix on March 23, 2018, and consisting of 13 episodes.
On April 9, 2018, Netflix renewed the series for a second season, which premiered on December 26, 2018. On February 15, 2019, Netflix renewed the series for a third season, divided into 2 eight-episode parts.
Lifelong best friends Alexa and Katie are eagerly anticipating the start of their freshman year of high school. The two friends confront a crisis when Alexa discovers that she is ill with cancer and starts undergoing treatment for the illness, which leaves them feeling like outsiders at a time when what seems to matter most is fitting in. The girls try to navigate through all the troubles high school seems to bring while dealing with cancer.
- Paris Berelc as Alexa, an ambitious basketball player battling cancer. A determined individual, she strives to live a normal life which often gives her rebellious tendencies. She also despises the pity she receives because of her illness.
- Isabel May as Katie, Alexa's best friend. Portrayed as quirky and awkward, she consistently supports Alexa's impulsive decisions when dealing with the illness. Katie also shares a liking for theatre. She seems to be attracted to Lucas.
- Jolie Jenkins as Jennifer, Katie's divorced, single mother studying to finish college while working. Because of her home situation, Jennifer's family is less financially fortunate than the Mendozas.
- Emery Kelly as Lucas, Alexa's older brother. Often portrayed as dimwitted and conceited, he cares a great deal for Alexa and aspires to be a doctor, wanting to help others as the doctors helped her. In season two, he becomes the lead of his own band.
- Eddie Shin as Dave, Alexa and Lucas' father, Lori's husband, and an airline pilot. When Alexa shaves her head, he struggles to cope with the reality, but eventually realizes his faults. He is also shown to have competitive tendencies like his wife, Lori.
- Finn Carr as Jack, Jennifer's son and Katie's younger brother with an avid love for candy and video games. Despite his age, he understands Alexa's situation and helps her the best he can. He eventually adopts a dog, Potato.
- Tiffani Thiessen as Lori, Alexa and Lucas' mother and Dave's wife. Strong-willed, competitive, and at times overprotective, she helps guide Alexa through her fight with cancer and additional problems as a teen.
- Jack Griffo as Dylan (recurring in season 1; main in season 2), Lucas' highly intelligent best friend. He begins tutoring Alexa in season one when her grades drop. Later, Dylan asks Alexa to the Winter Formal and the two begin dating. In season two, they eventually break up when Dylan chooses to focus on college after high school, but maintain a friendship.
- Kerri Medders as Gwenny, Alexa's self-absorbed and manipulative rival on the girls' basketball team. Much to Alexa's dismay, Gwenny begins acting kinder towards her after learning about Alexa's illness. She also begins dating Lucas in season two.
- Iman Benson as Reagan, a friend of Alexa and Katie. She is more sensible than Hannah. Often portrayed as self-centered, Reagan's selfishness is a running gag in the series.
- Merit Leighton as Hannah, a friend of Alexa and Katie. She is more naive and dimwitted than Reagan. In season two, she joins the school's cheerleading team.
- Nathaniel J. Potvin as Ryan, an awkward friend of Katie who worked with her in the school play. Ryan becomes Katie's first kiss, and although the two have feelings for one another, they are not acknowledged directly until the season two finale. He also has a single father.
- Nadja Alaya as Megan, a friend of Alexa who also has cancer. Initially shown in the hospital, it is implied that Megan's sickness has begun to cease due to her attendance at Alexa's sweet sixteen.
- Alyssa Jirrels as Vanessa (season 1), a student who worked in the school play. Because she lost the lead role to Katie, Vanessa is often passive aggressive towards her.
- Ricky Garcia as Cameron, a dimwitted friend of Lucas and a member of his band. He often follows Lucas around, mirroring his style.
- Scott Wordham as Barry, the manager at Wired, a local coffee shop in Wellard. He is often pessimistic and negative, but allows Katie to work as a barista.
- Jordan Austin Smith as Cody (season 2), a new student whose locker is between Alexa and Katie's. Alexa befriends him, content with the realization that he is unaware of her cancer. He is also the school's mascot.
- Anthony Keyvan as Nathan, a student who worked in the school play. A sensitive individual, his existence has become a running gag as he is often ignored.
- Megan Truong as Britney (season 1), a student on the girls’ basketball team. She also worked in the school play.
- Tess Aubert as Mackenzie (season 1), a student on the girls’ basketball team. She initially thinks that Britney is the student with cancer.
- Jenice Bergere as Coach Winters, the coach of the girls' basketball team. When Alexa tries out in season two, Winters disappoints her by putting her in junior varsity.
- Katie Walder as Ms. Rogers (season 1), the drama teacher who led the school's play in season one. A running gag is her constant mentioning of her one-sided relationship with her boyfriend.
- Carmella Riley as Nurse Lynda (season 1), a nurse who works at Alexa and Megan's hospital. It is implied that Alexa played pranks on her before being cleared.
- Avery Monsen as Nurse Chad, a nurse who works at Alexa and Megan's hospital. Often nervous, he is shown to be afraid of Alexa's competitive mother, Lori.
- Liam Attridge as Steve (season 2), a dimwitted friend of Lucas and a member of Lucas’ band. Along with Cameron, he also follows and mirror's Lucas’ style.
- Gregg Daniel as Dr. Breitweiser (season 2), Alexa's doctor who manages her checkups. In season two, he allows her to play basketball due to the improvement in her health.
Alexa & Katie is the first multi-camera sitcom produced by Netflix. The series was ordered in early 2017 with Wordham as executive producer. Berelc and May would star as the protagonists with Carlson serving as showrunner. In June 2017, Thiessen, Shin and Kelly were cast as Alexa's parents and older brother, with Jenkins cast as May's mother. In August 2017, Griffo, Medders and Leighton were cast as Berelc and May's classmates. On April 9, 2018, Netflix renewed the series for a second season, with Wordham replacing Carlson as showrunner.
On February 15, 2019, the series was renewed for a third season of 16 episodes. The season will be split into two parts, each featuring eight episodes and focusing on Berelc and May's characters navigating through their final years of high school.
|1||13||March 23, 2018|
|2||10||December 26, 2018|
Season 1 (2018)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||1||"Bad Hair Day"||Andy Cadiff||Heather Wordham||March 23, 2018|
Alexa has cancer, however after the doctor clears her for school, she and her best friend Katie get ready to start their first day of high school. However due to Alexa's chemo her hair begins to fall out, which leaves her distressed. She convinces Katie to teepee her rival Gwenny's house, but they then realize they accidentally teepee'd their principal Trugly's house. After being suspended for three days, Dave then finds out that Alexa knew she was teepee'ing Trugly, making Katie upset. After Jennifer returns Katie's ski cap, which Alexa had borrowed when they teepee'd Trugly's house, Katie finds Alexa's hair in the cap and realizes why Alexa wanted to get in trouble. After Katie confronts Alexa, Katie helps Alexa by shaving her hair off, claiming that Alexa will never have to go through anything alone.Guest stars: Kerri Medders as Gwenny, Iman Benson as Reagan, Merit Leighton as Hannah, Nadja Alaya as Megan, Carmella Riley as Nurse
|2||2||"Wigs"||Andy Cadiff||Heather Wordham||March 23, 2018|
After the girls shaved their hair off, they go to a department store to buy wigs. The wig Katie wants to buy, however, costs $300, more than she can afford. Not wanting to let Alexa know about her money troubles, she buys the wig anyway, along with a brightly colored one. Meanwhile, Dave struggles with seeing Alexa without any hair while Lucas calls her "Lex Luther."Guest stars: Iman Benson as Reagan, Merit Leighton as Hannah, Clint Culp as Security Guard, Beverly Leech as Saleswoman, Cutter Garcia as Delivery Person
|3||3||"Basketball"||Jeff Melman||Matthew Carlson||March 23, 2018|
Alexa wants to try out for the basketball team and compete with her rival, but due to her chemo, she isn't allowed to. Katie tries out for her as a sign of support. Subsequently, a rumor starts to spread that someone in the grade has cancer. Lori starts to work from home to be closer to Alexa, but it doesn't work out, due to Lori being so preoccupied with work as she struggles to parent. During basketball try-outs, Katie blocks a ball through a air jump, but causes Katie's wig to fall off and her bald head is revealed, leading everyone to believe she is the one with cancer.Guest stars: Jenica Bergere as Coach Winters, Kerri Medders as Gwenny, Iman Benson as Reagan, Merit Leighton as Hannah
|4||4||"Ungroundable"||Jeff Melman||Nancy Cohen||March 23, 2018|
Alexa continually ropes Katie into doing bad things with her to prove to her that her mother won't ground her. Including watching a rated R movie, spilling coffee on her mom's favorite sweater, etc. Then after having a heartfelt talk with Lori, Lori agreed to try to be around more. Eventually, Lori comes to her senses and grounds Alexa, and for getting a bad grade on her math test, hires a tutor, which is Lucas's friend Dylan.Guest stars: Jack Griffo as Dylan, Scott Wordham as Barry
|5||5||"The Play, Part 1"||Jeff Melman||Gary Murphy||March 23, 2018|
As everyone thinks Katie is the one with cancer, everyone begins being so nice to her. But after getting a lead part in a play, she is left wondering if she is getting special treatment after she is given the lead in the school play. Jennifer asks Lucas to babysit Jack, however it proves harder than he thought.Guest stars: Merit Leighton as Hannah, Nathaniel Potvin as Ryan, Katie Walder as Ms. Rogers, Alyssa Jirrels as Vanessa
|6||6||"Picture Day"||Victor Gonzalez||Ray Lancon||March 23, 2018|
Alexa reveals she is the one with cancer, and everyone starts being very nice to her – even her rival, Gwenny. She continually plays pranks on Gwenny to get her to start being mean to her again, which ultimately works. Jennifer and Jack form a rivalry with Dave over baseball.Guest stars: Kerri Medders as Gwenny, Iman Benson as Reagan, Ricky Garcia as Cameron
|7||7||"The Play, Part 2"||Jeff Melman||Todd Linden||March 23, 2018|
Katie starts to ignore Alexa more and more, as she becomes focused on the play. Lori gives Katie life lessons during rehearsals, which annoys Jennifer to a great extent.Guest stars: Jack Griffo as Dylan, Nathaniel Potvin as Ryan, Katie Walder as Ms. Rogers, Alyssa Jirrels as Vanessa, Joy Luthman as Garth, Anthony Keyvan as Nathan, Leonard Robinson as Bennet
|8||8||"Support Group"||Phill Lewis||Erin Wagoner||March 23, 2018|
Katie starts to feel left out as Alexa, who is back in the hospital, is receiving support from her fellow cancer patients. Lori stresses over her care, and bakes a load of cookies to try to bribe the hospital nurse into giving Alexa special treatment.Guest stars: Nadja Alaya as Megan, Gus Kamp as Justin, Carmella Riley as Nurse Lynda, Eris Baker as Michelle, Avery Monsen as Nurse Chad, Gabriel Rissa as Scott
|9||9||"Winter Luau"||Trevor Kirschner||Kamon Naddaf||March 23, 2018|
Due to her low immune system, Alexa is ordered to stay home, however she video-chats with Katie on an iPad to access her lessons. Jennifer gets upset when Jack asks Dave to go to his school career day instead of her.Guest stars: Jack Griffo as Dylan, Kerri Medders as Gwenny, Iman Benson as Reagan, Merit Leighton as Hannah, Jenica Bergere as Coach Winters, Alyssa Jirrels as Vanessa, Curran Walters as Gabriel, Scott Wordham as Barry, Roberta Valderrama as Ms. Walsh, Declan Whaley as Student #1, Christian J. Simon as Student #2, Eliza Pryor as Student #3, Isla Farris as Student #4, Antonio Raul Corbo as Student #5
|10||10||"Thanksgiving"||Trevor Kirschner||Gary Murphy||March 23, 2018|
Alexa cooks Thanksgiving dinner, however it doesn't take long for it to be ruined. Meanwhile, Katie tries to reconnect with her father, but gets upset when he continues to treat her like a little girl.Guest stars: Joe Regalbuto as Sam, Alan Ritchson as Robbie, Lee Garlington as Loretta, Jessica Lorez as Zoe
|11||11||"Secret Sleepover"||Katy Garretson||Nancy Cohen||March 23, 2018|
Dave and Lori take Lucas on a trip to pilot-school interviews, leaving Alexa home for the weekend, at Jennifer's. However, she and Katie get up to no good while they are gone. Ryan asks Katie to the winter formal.Guest stars: Jack Griffo as Dylan, Iman Benson as Reagan, Merit Leighton as Hannah, Nathaniel Potvin as Ryan, Scott Wordham as Barry, Nicole J. Butler as Alice, Mimi Cozzens as Cyndi
|12||12||"Winter Formal, Part 1"||Andy Cadiff||Blake J. Williger||March 23, 2018|
Jack takes a 'stray' cat under his wing, which Dave develops an allergic reaction to. While Dylan and Alexa try to get closer, Lucas persistently interrupts the two and tries to break them up.Guest stars: Jack Griffo as Dylan, Nathaniel Potvin as Ryan, Jason Boegh as Mr. Bradford
|13||13||"Winter Formal, Part 2"||Andy Cadiff||Matthew Carlson||March 23, 2018|
Alexa and Katie get ready for the Winter Formal. Alexa convinces Katie to ask Ryan to the dance, and Hannah tells everyone. Eventually, the news gets to Ryan, and he says yes before Katie can even ask him. On the day of the dance, they find out there is a flu outbreak, meaning Alexa can't go. However Katie gets an idea which will allow Alexa to go; wearing a medical mask. Meanwhile, Jack tries to persuade Jennifer to get a puppy, and in the end, Jennifer adopts a rescue, who Jack names Potato. Upon entering the dance, Alexa finds everyone with masks, including Gwenny. Alexa dances with Dylan, and the two kiss. The episode ends with everyone dancing together to Katy Perry's "Firework".Guest stars: Jack Griffo as Dylan, Nathaniel Potvin as Ryan, Kerri Medders as Gwenny, Merit Leighton as Hannah, Iman Benson as Reagan, Alyssa Jirrels as Vanessa, Ricky Garcia as Cameron, Nadja Alaya as Megan, Cutter Garcia as Pizza Guy
Season 2 (2018)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|14||1||"Second First Day"||Trevor Kirschner||Heather Wordham||December 26, 2018|
The Mendoza's struggle to deal with Alexa's upcoming checkup as her and Katie's first day of sophomore year arrives.Guest stars: Kerri Medderrs as Gwenny, Merit Leighton as Hannah, Iman as Reagan, Nathaniel James Potvin as Ryan, Gregg Daniel as Dr. Bretweiser, Jordan Austin Smith as Cody
|15||2||"ChoreCats"||Trevor Kirschner||Nancy Cohen||December 26, 2018|
Katie uses a job-giving app to pay for an acting program in London with Alexa's help. Elsewhere, Jennifer and Jack take a bet to who can stay away from their addictions, coffee and chocolate, the longest.Guest stars: Merit Leighton as Hannah, Iman Benson as Reagan, Nathaniel James Potvin as Ryan, Emily Happe as Mary, Joachim Powell as Owen, Jessica Pressley as Sadie, Brooke Renaud as Violet
|16||3||"#GWENCAS"||Victor Gonzalez||Ray Lancon||December 26, 2018|
After Katie's ChoreCat's idea fails, she decides to apply for a job at Wired without telling Jennifer. Meanwhile, she and Alexa also try to sabotage Lucas' new relationship with Gwenny.Guest stars: Kerri Medders as Gwenny, Scott Wordham as Barry, Alyssa Gabrielle Rodriguez as Waitress
|17||4||"Tryouts and Latte Doubts"||Victor Gonzalez||Todd Linden||December 26, 2018|
Katie struggles on her first day working at Wired, and Alexa realizes that her cancer has affected her basketball skills. Katie eventually learns how to deal with rude customers, and Alexa accepts her position in junior varsity.Guest stars: Kerri Medders as Gwenny, Jenica Bergere as Coach Winters, Scott Wordham as Barry, Jordan Austin Smith as Cody, Alyvia Alyn Lind as Sasha, Avery Monsen as Nurse Chad, Katherine Tokarz as Ruby, Liam Attridge as Steve
|18||5||"PB Without J"||Katy Garretson||Eric Horsted||December 26, 2018|
Alexa and Dylan begin fighting over Alexa's friendship with Katie. Katie attempts to fix this at a Halloween party, which leads to a disastrous break up.Guest stars: Kerri Medders as Gwenny, Merit Leighton as Hannah, Iman Benson as Reagan, Nathaniel James Potvin as Ryan, Scott Wordham as Barry, Jordan Austin Smith as Cody, Lance Valentine Butler as Lloyd, Jamie Zwick as Biker Guy
|19||6||"Shop 'Til You Cry"||Katy Garretson||Blake J. Williger||December 26, 2018|
Alexa bottles her sadness about her break up with Dylan in order to go dress shopping with Katie, Lori and Jennifer. She eventually breaks down, realizing that her first relationship is over. Dave also helps Lucas with dating advice.Guest stars: Kerri Medders as Gwenny, Victoria Kelleher as Saleswoman, Ashton Arbab as Aaron, Alex Jayde Burnett as Kim, Jason Spisak as Video Game Announcer
|20||7||"Katie's Beautiful Mind"||Jody Margolin Hahn||Nancy Cohen||December 26, 2018|
Alexa faces Dylan for the first time since their break up on Halloween, and Katie struggles to study for her midterms whilst working at Wired. Elsewhere, Lucas decides to create a band with his classmates Cameron and Steve, much to Lori and Dave's dismay. Katie eventually tells her mom about her job.Guest stars: Merit Leighton as Hannah, Iman Benson as Reagan, Nathaniel James Potvin as Ryan, Scott Wordham as Barry, Ricky Garcia as Cameron, Liam Attriidge as Steve, Lilly Cornell Warriner as Sue, Duane Ervin as Boy #1, James Blakely as Boy #2
|21||8||"The Ghost of Cancer Past"||Victor Gonzalez||Julia Miranda||December 26, 2018|
It's Christmas, and Lori decides to do secret Santa. Jennifer gets Lori and doesn't know what to get for her. Alexa finds her old cancer bag and remembers when she first got cancer.Guest stars: Nathaniel James Potvin as Ryan, Gregg Daniel as Dr. Breitweiser, Nadja Alaya as Megan
|22||9||"New Year's ... Whoops"||Kelly Park||Erin Wagoner||December 26, 2018|
Lori struggles to beat Dave and Jennifer during New Year's Eve activities with her naive partner, Jack. Elsewhere, Katie finally gains the courage to tell Ryan about her feelings for him, until she accidentally destroys Wired's coffee machine.Guest stars: Merit Leighton as Hannah, Iman Benson as Reagan, Nathaniel James Potvin as Ryan, Scott Wordham as Barry, Jordan Austin Smith as Cody, Anthony Keyvan as Nathan, Lilly Cornell as Warriner as Sue
|23||10||"Sweet Sixteen"||Trevor Kirschner||Ray Lancon||December 26, 2018|
In the aftermath of the coffee machine incident, Katie ends up using all the money she saved up for the London trip. She decides not to tell Alexa as she's scared it will ruin her Sweet 16. Jennifer and Jack decide to fake sick to avoid going to work and school, respectively, for one last day after the holidays. Lucas is having trouble writing lyrics with his bandmates, especially when Gwenny returns from her holiday vacation. Alexa finds out about Katie, so she decides to cancel her Sweet 16 venue and move the party to her house. The refund from the cancellation is enough to fund Katie's London trip. Lucas's band performs, Megan shows up, Dylan and Alexa settle on good terms, and Katie reveals her feelings to Ryan.Guest stars: Kerri Medders as Gwenny, Merit Leighton as Hannah, Iman Benson as Reagan, Nathaniel James Potvin as Ryan, Scott Wordham as Barry, Jordan Austin Smith as Cody, Ricky Garcia as Cameron, Liam Attridge as Steve, Nadja Alaya as Megan, Anthony Keyvan as Nathan, Jessica Leigh Gonzales as Repairwoman, Nathan Frizzel as Brian, John Lee Ames as Gerald
In 2018, Alexa & Katie was nominated for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Children's Program. In 2019, the series was a recipient for the 12th Television Academy Honors.
- Denise Petski (January 29, 2018). "'Alexa & Katie' Gets Premiere Date On Netflix; First-Look Photos". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 29, 2018.
- Michael O'Connell (April 9, 2018). "Netflix Renews 'Alexa & Katie' For Second Season".
- "Alexa & Katie Season 2 Trailer, Coming December 26". Netflix Center. December 26, 2018.
- "Netflix's Alexa & Katie Season 3 Renewal". Ew.com. February 15, 2019.
- Nellie Andreeva (April 7, 2017). "Netflix Orders High-School Multi-Camera Comedy Series 'Alexa & Katie'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Vlada Gelda (April 7, 2017). "Netflix Orders High School-Set Teen Comedy Series Alexa & Katie". TV Line. Retrieved April 8, 2017.
- Nellie Andreeva (June 7, 2017). "Tiffani Thiessen To Co-Star In Netflix Multi-Camera Comedy 'Alexa & Katie'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- Nellie Andreeva (August 3, 2017). "'Alexa & Katie': Jack Griffo & Kerri Medders Cast In Netflix Comedy Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 21, 2017.
- Nellie Andreeva (August 24, 2017). "'Shameless' Casts Richard Flood; Merit Leighton Joins 'Alexa & Katie'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 24, 2017.
- Joe Otterson (April 9, 2018). "'Alexa & Katie' Renewed For Second Season By Netflix". Variety. Retrieved April 9, 2018.
- "Netflix Renews Emmy-Nominated Sitcom Alexa & Katie For A Third Season". Netflix Media Center. February 15, 2019.
- "Alexa & Katie". Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. Retrieved April 23, 2019.
- "Television Academy Honors Announced". Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. Retrieved April 23, 2019.