Vega in 2013
August 27, 1988|
Miami, Florida, U.S.
(m. 2010; div. 2012)
Carlos Pena Jr.
|Relatives||Makenzie Vega (sister)|
Alexa PenaVega (born Vega; August 27, 1988) is an American actress and singer. She is known for her role as Carmen Cortez in the Spy Kids film series and Shilo Wallace in the film Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008). In 2009, she starred as the title character Ruby Gallagher in the ABC Family series Ruby & The Rockits.
Vega was born in Miami, Florida. She spent the first four years of her life on a ranch in Ocala, Florida. Her father is Colombian and her mother, Gina Rue, is an American former model. Vega has six siblings, including actress Makenzie Vega. She moved with her family to California when she was four years old. As a teenager, she was homeschooled.
In 1996, Vega starred as young Jo Harding in Twister. She guest-starred in numerous television shows and films, including ER, Follow the Stars Home, Ghost Whisperer, and The Bernie Mac Show. She became known worldwide in 2001 for her role as "Carmen Cortez" in Spy Kids. The first Spy Kids film was a huge success, and subsequently two sequels, Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams and Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over were filmed. During the shooting of the three films, she performed most of her own stunts. In 2011, Vega appeared in the sequel, Spy Kids: All the Time in the World as a grown Carmen Cortez.
In 2003, she was named one of that year's hottest teen celebrities in the July 2003 issue Vanity Fair. In 2004, Vega finished filming two films: Sleepover and State's Evidence. Then the following year she starred in the Lifetime television film entitled Odd Girl Out as a victim of cyber-bullying. She also filmed for another made-for-TV movie, Walkout. In June 2006, she finished filming Remember the Daze, which was released in limited theaters on April 2007. She also finished filming Repo! The Genetic Opera, which was released in 2008. Vega was confirmed as the lead role in Helix, written and directed by Aram Rappaport, which began filming in Chicago in March 2008. Vega was originally cast in the 2009 Robert Rodriguez film Shorts, however, due to her being in Australia for the filming of Broken Hill, she had to be recast. She was replaced by Kat Dennings. She appeared on Broadway in Hairspray, as Penny. In 2009, she played Ruby Gallagher on the ABC Family television sitcom Ruby & the Rockits, which also starred Patrick and David Cassidy.
Vega played Wick in the 2012 film The Devil's Carnival, a film from director Darren Lynn Bousman and screenwriter Terrance Zdunich, who previously worked with Vega in Repo! The Genetic Opera. Throughout 2012, Vega starred in the independent thriller, 2br/1ba, directed by Rob Margolies and co-stars with Spencer Grammer and Kathryn Morris. Vega also starred in the Lifetime Channel movie The Pregnancy Project and her animated film The Clockwork Girl was completed. Vega's film The Mine which was filmed in 2010 got a limited release/screening. Vega also voiced Christina in the animated series Unsupervised and had a guest role on Royal Pains. Vega played the young heroine in Aerosmith's music video "Legendary Child".
Throughout 2013 and 2014, Vega appeared in the films 23 Blast, Machete Kills, Bounty Killer, Wicked Blood, The Remaining, and The Hunters. She also had a role on the Big Time Rush series finale "Big Time Dreams", playing herself. In 2015, Alexa appeared in Do You Believe? (film) as Lacey, who was a young woman who was on her own. In this movie, Lacey feels lonely with no real male figure in her life, because her father would not spend time with her.
On August 27, 2015, Vega was announced as one of the celebrities who will compete on the 21st season of Dancing with the Stars. Her husband, Carlos PenaVega was also announced as one of the contestants who will compete against her on the show. She was paired with professional dancer Mark Ballas. On November 9, PenaVega and Ballas were eliminated and finished the competition in 6th place.
She recorded three songs for the soundtracks while playing Carmen Cortez in the Spy Kids films. She released her debut single, "Isle of Dreams", to coincide with the release of the second film. She also released "Game Over", for the third film. Another song, "Heart Drive" featuring Bobby Edner, was also recorded for Spy Kids 3. She also has recorded songs for the movie Repo! The Genetic Opera, released in 2008.
Vega sang the song "Christmas is the Time to Say 'I Love You'" in the ABC Family film Santa Baby 2: Christmas Maybe. The track appears on the compilation album Songs to Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas, which was released on November 3, 2009 by Walt Disney Records. The music video for the song premiered during the ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas programming block in 2009.
Vega married film producer Sean Covel on October 10, 2010, in a ceremony held in his hometown of Lead, South Dakota. She was walked down the aisle by Robert Rodriguez. In July 2012, Vega announced on Twitter that she had divorced Covel.
In August 2013, Vega became engaged to actor and singer Carlos Pena Jr. The couple married on January 4, 2014, in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The couple share a YouTube channel, LexLovesLos. Their son was born December 7, 2016.
|1994||Little Giants||Priscilla O'Shea|
|1995||Nine Months||Molly Dwyer|
|1996||Twister||Jo Harding (age 5)|
|Shattered Mind||Sarah||Also known as The Terror Inside|
|The Glimmer Man||Cole's Daughter|
|Ghosts of Mississippi||Claire DeLaughter|
|1998||Dennis the Menace Strikes Again||Gina||Direct-to-video film|
|1999||The Deep End of the Ocean||Kerry Cappadora|
|2000||Run the Wild Fields||Opal 'Pug' Miller|
|2001||Follow the Stars Home||Amy Williams||Also known as A Second Chance (Australia)|
|Spy Kids||Carmen Cortez|
|2002||Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams||Carmen Cortez|
|2003||Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over||Carmen Cortez|
|2005||Odd Girl Out||Vanessa Snyder|
|2006||State's Evidence||Sandy||Direct-to-video film|
|Marrying God||Ivy||Short film|
|Walk Out||Paula Crisostomo|
|2007||Remember the Daze||Holly||Originally titled The Beautiful Ordinary|
|2008||Repo! The Genetic Opera||Shilo Wallace|
|2009||Innocent||Ashley||Originally titled Helix|
|Broken Hill||Kat Rogers|
|2010||Mother's Day||Jenna Luther|
|2011||From Prada to Nada||Mary Dominguez|
|Spy Kids: All the Time in the World||Carmen Cortez|
|2012||The Devil's Carnival||Wick|
|The Pregnancy Project||Gaby Rodriguez|
|The Hunters||Dylan Savini|
|2014||The Clockwork Girl||Tesla|
|Sin City: A Dame to Kill For||Gilda|
|Do You Believe?||Lacey|
|Pixies||Michelle Meyers||Voice role|
|The Murder Pact||Camille|
|1993–94||Evening Shade||Emily Newton||Recurring role; 6 episodes|
|1995||ER||Bonnie Howe||Episode: Sleepless in Chicago"|
|Chicago Hope||Sara Wilmette||Episode: "Every Day a Little Death"|
|It Was Him or Us||Young Carrie||Television film (CBS)|
|1996||A Promise to Carolyn||Young Kay||Television film (CBS)|
|Life's Work||Tess Hunter||Pilot episode|
|1998||The Magnificent Seven||Olivia Greer||Episode: "Safecracker"|
|To Have & to Hold||Kelly McGrail||7 episodes|
|Ladies Man||Wendy Stiles No. 2||9 episodes|
|2002||Total Access 24/7||Herself; Carmen Cortez||Episode: "Spy Kids 2"|
|All That||Carmen Cortez||Episode: "Spy Kids/Play"|
|2003||The Bernie Mac Show||Jill||Episode: "Magic Jordan"|
|Trading Spaces: Boys vs. Girls||Herself||Episode: Siblings "Eli vs. Kali"|
|2005||Odd Girl Out||Vanessa||Movie (Lifetime)|
|2006||Walkout||Paula Crisostomo||Television film (HBO)|
|2009||Ghost Whisperer||Serena||Episodes: "Endless Love"|
|Ruby & the Rockits||Ruby Gallagher||Lead role|
|2010||The Middle||Morgan||Episodes: "The Break-Up" and "Worry Duty"|
|2012||The Pregnancy Project||Gaby Rodriguez||Television film (Lifetime Movies)|
|Royal Pains||Hollister||Episode: "Imperfect Storm"|
|2013||Big Time Rush||Herself||Episode: "Big Time Dreams"|
|2014||The Tomorrow People||Hillary Cole||8 episodes|
|The Hunters||Dylan Savini||Television film (Hallmark)|
|Courtside||Herself||Episode: "Alexa Vega"|
|Muertoons||Rosita (voice)||2 episodes|
|2014–15||Nashville||Kiley Brenner||Recurring role|
|2015||The Mentalist||Lily Stoppard||Episode: "The Whites of His Eyes"|
|Dancing with the Stars||Herself||Season 21 contestant; finished in sixth place|
|2016||Ms Matched||Libby Boland||Television film (Hallmark)|
|2017-18||The Loud House||Carlota Casagrande (voice)||2 episodes|
|2017||Destination Wedding||Ellie Hamilton||Television film (Hallmark)|
|Enchanted Christmas||Laura Trudeau||Television film (Hallmark)|
|2018||Love at Sea||Olivia Grayham||Television film (Hallmark)|
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|2002||"Isle of Dreams"||Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams|
|2003||"Game Over", "Heart Drive", "Isle of Dreams (Cortez Mix)"||Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over|
|2008||"At the Opera Tonight", "Infected", "Zydrate Anatomy", "Seventeen", "I Didn't Know I'd Love You So Much", "Genetic Emancipation"||Repo! The Genetic Opera|
|2009||"Lost in Your Own Life", "You Are Where I Live", "The Way It's Gonna Be", "Forever Your Song", "Too High a Price", "Possibilities" (with Austin Butler), "Now When I Close My Eyes"||Ruby & the Rockits|
|"Christmas is the Time to Say 'I Love You'"||Santa Baby 2: Christmas Maybe|
|2012||"The Devil's Carnival"||The Devil's Carnival|
- "Alexa Vega Biography (1988-)". Filmreference.com. Archived from the original on September 26, 2017. Retrieved March 17, 2018.
- Tracy, Liz (September 15, 2015). "Latina Takeover: Actresses From Miami Are Playing Big Roles for Disney, Broadway, and Hollywood". Miami New Times. Retrieved September 24, 2015.
- "Alexa Forever". RE: Questions for Miss Alexa Vega. Archived from the original on June 27, 2010. Retrieved August 20, 2006.
My father's side is Colombian (Bogota)... and I don't know why they said my mom was Italian. lol... She's not. My family and I were trying to figure out what my mom was, but we can only go back to 5 generations and they were all from Florida. haha. so .. Floridian? ahhah... my moms last name is French though.
- "Ex-spy has price on head, ache in heart". Miami Herald. September 7, 2009. Retrieved March 8, 2011.
Alexa Vega 21 is his oldest daughter with former Miami model Gina Rue With about 40 films in her career Alexa is mostly known for her role in the Spy Kids ...
- "Alexa Vega Biography". Film Reference.
- "Alexa Vega Biography". BuddyTV. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- Gilchrist, Todd (July 9, 2004). "Sleeping Over with Alexa Vega". IGN. Retrieved January 5, 2018.
- Paris Hilton gets movie musical role. Retrieved August 1, 2007.
- ""Spy Kids" Star Vega to Join Broadway's Hairspray - Playbill.com". Archived from the original on July 15, 2014.
- "Two Tickets To 'The Devil's Carnival' Please". FEARnet. March 6, 2012. Retrieved March 28, 2012.
- "Aerosmith Rocks a Warehouse in 'Legendary Child' Video". Billboard. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- Foundas, Scott (March 20, 2015). "Film Review: 'Do You Believe?'". Variety. Retrieved September 20, 2017.
- Aguilera, Leanne (August 27, 2015). "EXCLUSIVE! 'Dancing With the Stars': Married Couple Alexa and Carlos PenaVega to Compete on Season 21". ET Online. Retrieved August 27, 2015.|
- "Dancing with the Stars Season 21 Cast Announcement". ABC. September 2, 2015. Retrieved September 2, 2015.
- Rosario, Mariela. "Alexa Vega's Wedding Album". Latina.com. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- "'Spy Kids' Star Alexa Vega – I'm a 23-year-old Divorcee Now!". TMZ.com. July 15, 2012. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- Shira, Dahvi (July 16, 2012). "Spy Kids Star Alexa Vega Files for Divorce". People. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- Eggenberger, Nicole (June 19, 2013). "Alexa Vega Engaged to Carlos Pena, Jr., Congratulated by Ex-Husband Sean Covel". Us Weekly. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- Spero, Jesse. "Alexa Vega Dishes Engagement Details: How Did Carlos Pena Pop The Question?". Access Hollywood. NBC Universal. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- "Alexa Vega Weds Big Time Rush's Carlos Pena Jr". The Hollywood Reporter. January 5, 2014. Archived from the original on March 16, 2016. Retrieved March 17, 2018.
- Juneau, Jen (December 9, 2016). "Carlos and Alexa PenaVega Welcome Son Ocean King — See His First Photo!". People. Archived from the original on February 25, 2018. Retrieved March 17, 2018.
- "'Sin City' Actress Talks Directors in Hollywood 'Blasting Her' for Her Faith and New Revelation-Based Film".
- "Nikki Reed Wedding Scoop: The Dress, the Maid of Honor and More!".
- "Tommy2.net". Tommy2.net. September 25, 2009. Retrieved November 26, 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alexa Vega.|