Alexander B. Rossino
Alexander B. Rossino
|Born||1966 (age 52–53)|
|Notable works||Hitler Strikes Poland|
Alexander B. Rossino (born 1966), is a research historian at the Center for Advanced Holocaust Studies of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C. with Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) from the Syracuse University in New York. He is best known for writing about Nazi Germany in World War II, the Holocaust in Poland and Jewish issues. He is the author of Hitler Strikes Poland: Blitzkrieg, Ideology, and Atrocity published by University Press of Kansas in 2003 and as paperback in 2005, one of the Top Ten Books of 2003 by Stone & Stone. Rossino lives in Arlington, Virginia.
Hitler Strikes Poland
"Drawing on a plethora of primary source materials both in the United States and Germany, Rossino, research historian at the Center for Advanced Holocaust Studies, has written a powerful book describing Operation Tannenberg, the code name for the Nazi assault on Poland in 1939... essential reading for everyone interested in this type of ideology and total war..." (David Lee Poremba), "book that every student of the war, the Holocaust, and Nazi Germany will have to read." (Omer Bartov) 
The cover photograph for Hitler Strikes Poland by Rossino, courtesy of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum (Bernhard Braun collection), shows "distraught" German film director Leni Riefenstahl, a chief propagandist for the Nazis with her military escort, witnessing the murder of Jews in the town of Końskie in occupied Poland. Reportedly, Riefenstahl fainted there when the Jewish men digging their own mass grave on September 12, 1939, were bludgeoned.
- Alexander B. Rossino, "Destructive Impulses: German Soldiers and the Conquest of Poland," Holocaust and Genocide Studies 11, no. 3 (winter 1997): 351–364. Oxford University Press, in association with U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Alexander Brian Rossino, "September 1939: The German army and the invasion of Poland", Syracuse University, 1999, History
- Alexander B. Rossino, "Eastern Europe Through German Eyes: Soldiers' Photographs 1939–42," History of Photography 23, 4 (Winter 1999): 313–21. Taylor & Francis, Ltd. of London England and Washington DC
- Alexander B. Rossino, "Nazi Anti-Jewish Policy during the Polish Campaign: The Case of Einsatzgruppe von Woyrsch," German Studies Review 24 (Feb. 2001): 37. Department of History, Carleton College, Northfield, MN
- Alexander B. Rossino, "Polish 'Neighbors' and German Invaders: Contextualizing Anti-Jewish Violence in the Bialystok District during the Opening Weeks of Operation Barbarossa," Polin 16 (2003), 431–452.
- Alexander B. Rossino, "War of Extermination: The German Military in World War II, 1941-1944," Holocaust and Genocide Studies, Volume 17, Number 3, Winter 2003, pp. 508-511. Oxford University Press. ISSN 8756-6583
- Alexander B. Rossino, Hitler Strikes Poland: Blitzkrieg, Ideology, and Atrocity. University Press of Kansas. Hardcover, 352 pages including photographs. ISBN 0-7006-1234-3. Note from the Publisher.
Notes and references
- Alexander Brian Rossino (1999). "September 1939: The German army and the invasion of Poland". Disertation. Syracuse University. Retrieved May 3, 2011.
- Hitler Strikes Poland: Blitzkrieg, Ideology, and Atrocity by Alexander B. Rossino. University Press of Kansas. Hardcover, 352pp with 32 photographs. ISBN 0-7006-1234-3. Including Note from the Publisher.
- Top Ten Award Winner: Hitler Strikes Poland by Alexander B. Rossino. Stone & Stone Books, Santa Rosa, California. Including Book review by Bill Stone, 2003.
- "Alexander B. Rossino at University Press of Kansas, Lawrence, KS. Including book reviews". Archived from the original on 2003-06-26. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- Alexander B. Rossino, "Polish 'Neighbors' and German Invaders: Contextualizing Anti-Jewish Violence in the Białystok District during the Opening Weeks of Operation Barbarossa"; Polin: Studies in Polish Jewry, Volume 16 (2003) 
- David Lee Poremba, Detroit, 2003, Reed Business Information. (In) Barnes&Noble: Hitler Strikes Poland by Alexander B. Rossino
- Alexander B. Rossino. Hitler Strikes Poland. Cover photographs. ISBN 0700613927 – via Kindle, Look Inside! Section: Back cover (notes).
- Krzysztof Woźniak (July 24, 2011). "Tragiczne wydarzenia 12 września 1939" [Tragic events of September 12, 1939]. Końskie. Końskie.org.pl. Event pictured. Archived from the original on October 10, 2016. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- Alexander B. Rossino, "Eastern Europe Through German Eyes: Soldiers' Photographs 1939-42," History of Photography 23, 4 (Winter 1999): 313-21
- The New York Review of Books by Gordon A. Craig, J.E. Wallace Sterling Professor Emeritus of Humanities at Stanford. His latest book is Politics and Culture in Modern Germany. (December 2003)
- Alexander B. Rossino in Google scholar (include about 291 citations). Accessed May 3, 2011.