This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Alexander Victorovich Donskoy (Russian: Александр Викторович Донской) is a former mayor of the Northern Russian city of Arkhangelsk. He was the first Russian politician of national recognition who proclaimed intentions to run for the presidency in 2008. After announcing his intentions in 2006, he was arrested in July 2007 following charges of economic crimes and abuse of office. He was released in March 2008 after receiving a sentence of 3 years on probation.
Political career and persecution
Donskoy is an entrepreneur, with interests in the supermarket, according at least to one source. He was elected as mayor of Arhangelsk in March 2005 —reportedly, the youngest mayor of the city to date. His announcement on November 1, 2006, of the intention to run for the presidency of Russia, was followed, and allegedly anticipated, by official pressure. He became the subject of a criminal investigation toward the end of 2006 and, in early 2007, was accused of abuse of office and of forging a university diploma. Following his subsequent arrest, he was released, but was arrested for the second time in July 2007. As of early October,[year needed] Donskoy remained in pre-trial detention, with the third of three cases awaiting hearing. At least two sources[which?] reported that Donskoy had been handed a suspended sentence (of one year) for charges related to "faking documents" and "illegal business activity." It is not clear whether this result constituted sentences associated with two prosecuted cases or one. Prosecutors are seeking restrictions on future political activity as part of the judgment following the third trial. Supporters maintain his innocence and propose political causes for his continued prosecution.
- Alexander Donskoy. Investigators require that I resign office Archived 2007-09-13 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 2007-11-24.
- Elena Larionova. Archangelsk mayor is arrested Retrieved on 2007-11-24.
- Factiva Public Figures & Associates. Top Stories: PEPs, corruption & money laundering Archived 2007-10-31 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 2007-11-24.
- Мэр Архангельска получил три года условно; приговор будет оспорен(in Russian), Igor Kluchnikov, Radio Svoboda, March 6, 2008
- Myers, Steven Lee (25 February 2007). "Post-Putin". The New York Times. Retrieved 14 January 2010.
- Портал муниципального образования «ГОРОД АРХАНГЕЛЬСК». Информация о мэре города Retrieved on 2007-11-25.
- Elena Larionova. Arkhangelsk mayor is released[permanent dead link] Retrieved on 2007-12-10.
- Michael Schwirtz and Joshua Yaffa. Russian press review: July 25 Retrieved on 2007-12-10.
- В Архангельске не строят этнических баррикад, но люди всех национальностей должны жить по законам России,(in Russian) mayor Donskoy's interview, October 21, 2006