|Looking south, in Dianella|
|Length||16 km (9.9 mi)|
|Route number(s)||State Route 56 (Walcott Street to Gnangara Road)|
|South end||Walcott Street, Menora|
|North end||Cul-de-sac north of Gnangara Road, Gnangara|
Alexander Drive is a major north-south road in the northeastern suburbs of Perth, Western Australia, connecting Perth's central business district (CBD) with Edith Cowan University's Mount Lawley campus and the Malaga industrial area, as well as new development suburbs to Perth's northeast, and is amply served by Transperth bus routes, including the 886, 887 and 889. Alexander Drive was named after Mr S.B. Alexander, a former Wanneroo Road Board member. Alexander Drive runs through the following local government areas City of Wanneroo, City of Swan, City of Bayswater and City of Stirling
It is known as Road No. 7354 in plans and maps.
State Route 56 starts in Northbridge, adjacent to Perth's CBD, as Fitzgerald Street, travelling northwards through West Perth and North Perth before becoming Alexander Drive at the intersection of Walcott Street.
In May 1932, the Perth Road Board (now City of Stirling) decided to rename Fitzgerald Street, north of Walcott Street, to Alexander Drive after Mr S.B. Alexander, who was a member of the Wanneroo Road Board (now City of Wanneroo) . The name change was official made by the state government's Department of Lands and Survey in September 1932. In 1939, improvement works were proposed for Alexander Drive and other roads in the area. These works included concrete kerbing, surfacing with a two coat bitumen seal, and widening from 16 feet (4.9 m) to 20 feet (6.1 m).
The north-south portion from Marangaroo Drive to Widgee Road was historically called Uganda Road and was barely more than a track, but was renamed when the dual carriageway was built in the late 1970s. The name change was made official in March 1979.
Traffic lights were installed at the intersection with Gnangara Road in 2007.
In 2011, the original traffic light intersection with Reid Hwy was upgraded to a diamond interchange. Reid Hwy is now uninterrupted over traffic light junctions at Alexander Drive.
- Walcott Street (State Route 75) – North Perth and Menora
- Central Avenue, Mount Lawley – to Edith Cowan University
- Grand Promenade (State Route 55) – Dianella
- Morley Drive (State Route 76) – Dianella
- Reid Highway (State Route 3) - Mirrabooka, Noranda and Malaga
- Beach Road - Mirrabooka, Ballajura and Malaga
- Marangaroo Drive (State Route 81) – Ballajura and Alexander Heights
- Hepburn Avenue – Ballajura, Alexander Heights and Landsdale
- Gnangara Road (State Route 84) – Wangara and Gnangara, to Ellenbrook
- Northern 76 timetable, Transperth, effective 30 May 2004. Accessed 2007-01-23
- Department of Land Information. StreetSmart Perth Street Directory (54th ed.). West Australian Newspapers Ltd. pp. Map 342/372. ISBN 978-0-909439-67-5.
- "PERTH ROAD BOARD.". The West Australian. Perth: National Library of Australia. 27 May 1932. p. 10. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "GENERAL NEWS.". The West Australian. Perth: National Library of Australia. 10 August 1932. p. 11. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "PERTH ROAD BOARD.". The West Australian. Perth: National Library of Australia. 28 September 1932. p. 14. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "MT. LAWLEY IMPROVEMENTS.". The West Australian. Perth: National Library of Australia. 1 December 1939. p. 6. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Change of Name of Street – City of Stirling and Shire of Wanneroo (per 1036/71)". Western Australia Government Gazette. 16 March 1979. p. 1979:698.
Route map: Google