The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (June 2021)
Alexander Elder is a professional trader and a teacher of traders. He is the author of The New Trading for a Living, considered a modern classic among traders. First published in 1993, this international best-seller has been translated into more than a dozen languages and is being used to educate traders around the world. His Come into My Trading Room: A Complete Guide to Trading was named a 2002 Barron's Book of the Year. His Entries & Exits: Visits to 16 Trading Rooms was named a 2007 SFO Magazine Book of the Year. His latest book is The New Sell & Sell Short: How to Take Profits, Cut Losses, and Benefit from Price Declines (2011).
Elder was born in Leningrad and grew up in Estonia, where he entered medical school at the age of 16. At 23, while working as a ship's doctor, he jumped a Soviet ship in Africa and received political asylum in the United States. He worked as a psychiatrist in New York City and taught at Columbia University. His experience as a psychiatrist provided him with unique insight into the psychology of trading.
- Elder, Alexander, The New Sell and Sell Short: How to Take Profits, Cutting Losses, and Benefit from Price Declines. Hoboken, N.J.: Wiley, 2011. ISBN 978-0-470-63239-0, revised edition of his Sell and Sell Short. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons, 2008. ISBN 978-0-470-18167-6
- Elder, Alexander. Entries & Exits: Visits to Sixteen Trading Rooms. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley, 2006. ISBN 978-0-471-67805-2
- Elder, Alexander, Straying From The Flock - Travels in New Zealand. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley, 2005. ISBN 0-471-71863-7
- Elder, Alexander. Rubles to Dollars: Making Money on Russia's Exploding Financial Frontier. New York: New York Institute of Finance, 1999. ISBN 978-0-7352-0062-3
- Elder, Alexander. Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Money Management. New York: J. Wiley, 1993. ISBN 978-0-471-59224-2 Held in 342 libraries according to WorldCat
- Translated into Chinese as 以交易为生 / Yi jiao yi wei sheng 机械工业出版社, Beijing : Ji xie gong ye chu ban she, 2010 ISBN 978-7-111-30251-3
- Translated into Spanish as Vivir del trading : psicología, tácticas de trading, gestión del dinero España : IdeasPropias], 2004 ISBN 978-84-9745-079-9
- Translated into Polish as Zawód inwestor giełdowy : psychologia rynków, taktyka inwestycyjna, zarządzanie portfelem 1998, ISBN 978-83-87286-35-4
- Translated into French as Vivre du Trading : psychologie, tactiques de trading, money management
- Elder, Alexander. Come into My Trading Room A Complete Guide to Trading.ISBN 0471225401 New York: Wiley, 2002. Study guide for this book is ISBN 978-0-471-22540-9 Held in 832 libraries according to WorldCat 
- The New Trading for a Living: Psychology, Discipline, Trading Tools and Systems, Risk Control, Trade Management, by Oreilly
- Start Day Trading Now, by Michael Sincere, Simon and Schuster, p. 186
- Trend Trading for a Living, Second Edition, by Thomas K. Carr, McGraw Hill Professional, ISBN 1260440699, 2018 – p. 12, cit.: "1993 bestseller, Trading for a Living, now deemed a classic in the field, is a highly readable introduction to both the mathematics and the meaning of the various tools used by technical analysts."