Alexander Frederick, Landgrave of Hesse
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2020)
|Alexander Frederick, Landgrave of Hesse|
|Born||25 January 1863|
|Died||26 March 1945 (aged 82)|
Fronhausen-an-der-Lahn, Nazi Germany
|Father||Frederick William, Landgrave of Hesse|
|Mother||Princess Anna of Prussia|
He was the son of Prince Frederick William of Hesse-Kassel and Princess Anna of Prussia. From 1888 to 1925 he was Head of the electoral line of the House of Hesse, but abdicated his position to his brother Prince Frederick Charles of Hesse. He was visually handicapped from birth, and this, in addition to his morganatic marriage, played a part in his decision to abdicate.
On 25 March 1925, he married morganatically Baroness Gisela Stockhorner von Starheim (b. 17 January 1884, d. 22 June 1965), daughter of Otto, Baron Stockhorner von Starheim and Emilie Susanne Hildegard, Baroness von Wolzogen-Neuhaus.  She was Lady-in-waiting of Grand Duchess Hilda of Baden.
He received the following orders and decorations:
- Grand Duchy of Hesse:
- Kingdom of Bavaria: Knight of St. Hubert, 1892
- Ernestine duchies: Grand Cross of the Saxe-Ernestine House Order
- Oldenburg: Grand Cross of the Order of Duke Peter Friedrich Ludwig, with Golden Crown
- Kingdom of Prussia:
- Württemberg: Grand Cross of the Württemberg Crown, 1891
- Duchy of Anhalt: Grand Cross of Albert the Bear, 1884
- Kingdom of Greece: Grand Cross of the Redeemer
- Ottoman Empire: Order of Osmanieh, 1st Class
- United Kingdom: Honorary Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, 10 June 1907
- Gisela Anna Caroline Amalia Ida Pauline Freiin Stockhorner von Starein (genealogy), #108918, thepeerage.com, 9 October 2009.
- Princess Gisela was (through her maternal grandmother) the great-great-granddaughter of London-based Huguenot financier François Jacques Houssemayne Du Boulay.
- Hof- und Staats-Handbuch des Großherzogtum Hessen (1894), Genealogy p. 5
- Hof- und Staats-Handbuch des Großherzogtum Hessen (1883), "Großherzogliche Orden und Ehrenzeichen" pp. 14, 44
- Hof- und Staats-Handbuch des Großherzogtum Baden (1896), "Großherzogliche Orden" pp. 63, 77
- Hof- und Staats-Handbuch des Königreichs Bayern (1906), "Königliche-Orden" p. 8
- "Schwarzer Adler-orden", Königlich Preussische Ordensliste (supp.) (in German), 1, Berlin, 1886, p. 5 – via hathitrust.org
- Hof- und Staats-Handbuch des Königreich Württemberg (1907), "Königliche Orden" p. 29
- Hof- und Staats-Handbuch des Herzogtum Anhalt (1894), "Herzogliche Orden" p. 17
- Bille-Hansen, A. C.; Holck, Harald, eds. (1944) [1st pub.:1801]. Statshaandbog for Kongeriget Danmark for Aaret 1944 [State Manual of the Kingdom of Denmark for the Year 1944] (PDF). Kongelig Dansk Hof- og Statskalender (in Danish). Copenhagen: J.H. Schultz A.-S. Universitetsbogtrykkeri. p. 16. Retrieved 2 September 2020 – via da:DIS Danmark.
- The London Gazette, issue 28030, p. 4083