Alexander Gilkes (born 16 July 1979) is a British businessman who is the co-founder and president of Paddle8, an online auction house specializing in fine art and collectibles, described by FT as "reimagined art collecting for the digital age."
Raised in London and educated at Eton College and at the University of Bristol, Gilkes has been based in New York since 2008. Prior to founding Paddle8 in 2011, Gilkes served as an auctioneer at Phillips de Pury & Company and an executive at LVMH.
Gilkes has been named as one of Fast Company's Most Creative Entrepreneurs in 2017, the 100 Most Powerful People in the Art World (Art + Auction) in 2014, 2015 and 2016, a Digital Maverick (DETAILS), one of the 40 Most Important People Under 40 (Apollo), and was featured on Vanity Fair and GQ's best-dressed lists. He serves on the board of the New York Academy of Art.
In January 2018, Gilkes started dating Russian professional tennis player, Maria Sharapova.
- "The Aesthete: Alexander Gilkes talks personal taste". 2017-12-05. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- Kolodny, Lora (2013-06-06). "Paddle8 Raises $6M to Do for Fine Art What StubHub Does for Concert Tickets - Venture Capital Dispatch - WSJ". Blogs.wsj.com. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- "With Big-Name Backing And Some eBay Flavor, These Startups Are Looking To Shake Up The Art Market". TechCrunch. 2013-06-14. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- Meet Paddle8’s Alexander Gilkes, Art Auction Disruptor | Observer
- Alexander Gilkes | Official Profile on The Marque
- Bernstein, Jacob (2014-10-29). "Meet Alexander Gilkes, Co-Founder of Paddle8, an Online Auction House". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- Solway, Diane. "New Kid on the Block". W Magazine. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- Chou, Kimberly (2012-12-14). "Art Site Takes Charitable Turn". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "Madonna and Bulgari—Along With Ariana Grande, Leonardo DiCaprio, Dave Chappelle—Party in Miami for Raising Malawi". Vogue. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- Reginato, James. "The Elton John AIDS Foundation Pulled Out All the Stops at Its Fall Gala". Vanities. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- Lee, Denny (2018-02-08). "amfAR Kicks Off New York Fashion Week". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "Alexander Gilkes, Most Creative People | Fast Company". Fast Company. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "Alexander Gilkes: Executive Profile & Biography - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "Downtown Art School that Warhol Started Raises its Celebrity Profile". The New York Times. 2017-04-26. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
|This United Kingdom business–related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|