SP front cover of "A Robot is Talking to You"
|Born||June 22, 1950|
|Genres||Electronic music, Classical music, instrumental music|
|Instruments||Synthesizer, Piano, Computers|
|Labels||Romantic Robot, Supraphon, Panton Records|
He read music at Charles University in Prague, and received a PhD for the analysis of the music of The Beatles. Initially a music writer, critic, and radio/club DJ (1968–73), he moved to songwriting and music production, becoming a staff producer at Supraphon (1976–79), where he produced a number of pop, rock, and jazz LPs of Czech singers and bands. He pioneered the use of synthesizers in Czechoslovakia and recorded his own music for records (Panton Records, Supraphon), TV, and films.
He moved to London in 1981, recorded two solo albums ("Themes for a One-Man-Band Vol. 1 & 2"), and in 1983 worked at the BBC Radiophonic Workshop producing his own music for radio, TV, and films. Goldscheider then co-founded a music and computer company Romantic Robot, which initially designed and manufactured software (Music Typewriter, Trans-Express, Genie, Wriggler) and hardware (Multiprint, Videoface, Multifaces 1, 2, 3, 128 and ST) for Sinclair Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, and Atari computers;.
Romantic Robot became a recording label in 1991, when Goldscheider produced and released a 2-CD set with music written and performed in a Czech concentration camp—Terezín: The Music 1941-44. The set included children's opera "Brundibár" by Hans Krása, which has since been staged, recorded, and filmed all over the world. In addition to producing another CD (An American in Prague – Aaron Copland conducts the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra), Goldscheider has since concentrated on writing, performing, and producing his own compositions, recording classical singers, large choruses, and the Romantic Robot Orchestra on CDs such as "Stabat Mater" and "The Song of Songs", with occasional detours into web design.
- Themes for a One-Man-Band Vol. 1
- Themes for a One-Man-Band Vol. 2
- Terezín: The Music 1941–44 (produced)
- An American in Prague (produced)
- Stabat Mater
- The Song of Songs
- On video: Mluví k vám robot (A Robot is Talking to You)
- Acta Universitatis, Page 5, No. 76 (Goldscheider, Alexander: Problematika hudební formy v populární hudbě, 1975. PhDr.)
- Panton, Odysseus
- Discogs, Alexander Goldscheider
- MusicBrainz, Alexander Goldscheider
- Themes for a One Man Band Vol. 1
- Themes for a One Man Band Vol. 2
- Sinclair Infoseek, Romantic Robot Ltd (UK)
- An American in Prague
- Jiří Bělohlávek, Conductor
- Matzner, Antonín; Poledňák, Ivan; Wasserbeger, Igor (1990). Encyklopedie jazzu a moderní populární hudby. Part III. Československá scéna – osobnosti a soubory (Encyclopedia of Jazz and Modern Popular Music. Czechoslovak Scene – Personalities and Ensembles) (in Czech). Prague: Supraphon. p. 159. ISBN 80-7058-210-3.