Alexander Goodwin Pierce
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Alexander Goodwin Pierce|
|First appearance||Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. #3 (Aug 1988)|
|Created by||Bob Harras and Paul Neary|
|Notable aliases||Anthony Duranti|
Alexander Goodwin Pierce is a fictional character appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics, usually as a supporting character in stories featuring the espionage agency S.H.I.E.L.D. as an agent. The character is played by Robert Redford in the 2014 film Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
|This section requires expansion. (April 2014)|
Fictional character biography
Alexander Pierce was born on Long Island, New York. He majored at S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy in civilian surveillance, and serves in the Accounting Department before becoming a sleeper agent working in decoding dispatches from HYDRA. When S.H.I.E.L.D. is taken over by the Deltites, Nick Fury becomes a renegade and fugitive and recruits Pierce to help defeat Madame Hydra and the Deltites and take back the S.H.I.E.L.D. organization.[volume & issue needed] Together they perpetrated a series of break-ins at S.H.I.E.L.D. installations, including a Communications Station in Philadelphia; the information they acquired was carefully leaked and inaccurate.[volume & issue needed] Pierce functioned as a contact between Fury and Tony Stark before accompanying Fury to Hong Kong following false leads in search of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s stolen Helicarrier Power Core.[volume & issue needed] After escaping death in an ambush at HYDRA's Hong Kong base, Pierce accompanied Fury to the Himalayas, along with their prisoner Madame Hydra. Unable to withstand the bitter cold, they were seized by the Deltites and brought to S.H.I.E.L.D.'s orbiting satellite. Aided by Madame Hydra, Pierce and a group of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents escaped and took part in the battle that led to the destruction of the Deltites.
Following the subsequent disbanding of S.H.I.E.L.D., Pierce served as caretaker of the skyscraper that once served as its headquarters.[volume & issue needed] He was then contacted for help by Nick Fury aid him and his allies in vanquishing the Death's Head Squad.[volume & issue needed] He later joins the new version of S.H.I.E.L.D. Fury has organized.[volume & issue needed] Pierce subsequently serves as the sometimes personal aide and bodyguard to Fury.[volume & issue needed]
In other media
- Robert Redford portrays Alexander Pierce in the 2014 Marvel Studios film Captain America: The Winter Soldier. This version is the Secretary of Defense and the Winter Soldier's handler. The leader of a Hydra cell within S.H.I.E.L.D., he masterminds Project Insight, the development of Helicarriers intended to carry out mass assassinations of citizens recognized as a threat based on Arnim Zola's algorithm to force the world into submission. Pierce has Project Insight disguised as an effort to recognize and apprehend criminals and terrorists prior to misdeeds. Pierce's plan is foiled by Steve Rogers, Natalia Romanoff, Sam Wilson, Nick Fury and loyal S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. While Wilson stops Project Insight and Rogers fights the Winter Soldier atop HYDRA's corrupted Helicarriers, Pierce tries to escape with Romanoff as a hostage when Fury guns him down.
- Alexander Pierce appeared in the 1998 live-action television film Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., portrayed by Neil Roberts.
- Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. #3
- Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. #6
- Secret Warriors #11
- "‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’ filming begins". Marvel. April 8, 2013. Archived from the original on April 8, 2013. Retrieved April 8, 2013.