Alexander Hanson (actor)
28 April 1961 |
Hanson was born in Oslo, Norway. His mother, Ellen, was half-French, half-Norwegian and his father was English. After divorce, his mother remarried George Akins, a Nottingham businessman. He initially prepared for a career in hotels and catering, but then decided on a career in acting, and entered drama school. Hanson is an alumnus of Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
He appeared in the West End production of An Ideal Husband in November 2010, opposite his wife Samantha Bond. He starred in the West End production of A Little Night Music, and also appeared in the transfer of that production to Broadway in 2009-2010.
Hanson starred in the high-profile West End revival of The Sound of Music as Captain Georg Von Trapp. He was brought in to replace Simon Shepherd, who bowed out of the show during previews. Hanson originated the role of Khashoggi in London's We Will Rock You but left the production after seven months.
in 1995, he played opposite Elaine Paige in Sunset Boulevard playing the role of Joe Gillis at the Adelphi Theatre. He played Pilate in the 2012 UK arena tour of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice's popular musical Jesus Christ Superstar, and reprised the role in the 2013 leg of the tour.
- Marguerite as Otto
- The Sound of Music
- Talking to Terrorists for Out of Joint and Royal Court Theatre
- We Will Rock You (original cast) as Khashoggi
- Enter the Guardsman and Brel
- The Things We Do For Love
- Shallow End
- Sunset Boulevard
- Aspects of Love
- Valentine's Day
- The Villain's Opera
- Troilus and Cressida
- The Merchant of Venice and The London Cuckolds
- Cracked and The Memory of Water
- A Little Night Music
- An Ideal Husband
- Jesus Christ Superstar (The Arena Tour as Pontius Pilate)
- Stephen Ward the Musical as Stephen Ward
Film and television
Party Animals, The Bill, Kidulthood, The Fugitives, Murder City, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, The Last Detective, Rosemary & Thyme, Heartbeat, Beech is Back, Relic Hunters, Casualty, The Merchant of Venice, The Escort, Unfinished Business, Peak Practice, Doctor Finlay, Poetry Readings, Ffizz, Fellow Traveller, Museums of Madness, The Black Candle, Taking the Floor, Boon, The Chief, Six Characters in Search of an Author as well as Lewis.
- Jury, Louise. "Man of the moment" The Independent, 4 December 2013
- Billington, Michael. "A problem like Von Trapp" The Guardian, 18 November 2006
- Cavendish, Dominic."An Ideal Husband: sex and shopping with Oscar Wilde"The Telegraph, 27 October 2010
- Philby, Charlotte."My Secret Life: Samantha Bond, Actress, 47"The Independent, 13 December 2008
- Wolf, Matt."Samantha Bond on Her Ideal London Role Opposite Real-Life Husband Alexander Hanson" broadway.com, 5 January 2011
- Probst, Andy."Samantha Bond, Alexander Hanson, et al. Open in Oscar Wilde's An Ideal" theatermania.com, 11 November 2010
- Gans, Andrew."Goodbye for "Now": Olivier Nominee Alexander Hanson Departs Broadway's Night Music Sept. 26" playbill.com, 26 September 2010
- "Sound of Music Leading Man Replaced" dailymail.co.uk
- "Archive for 'Villain's Opera'" albemarle-london.com, accessed 6 February 2011
- Beeny, Stephen.'Villain’s Opera' gaydarnation.com, 27 April 2000
- "Casting Announced for World Premiere of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Stephen Ward, Starring Alexander Hanson". playbill.com. Playbill. 6 September 2013. Retrieved 6 September 2013.