|Alma mater||Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology|
|Known for||Holevo's theorem|
|Institutions||Steklov Mathematical Institute, Moscow State University, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology|
Alexander Holevo has been a member of Steklov Mathematical Institute, Moscow, since 1969. He graduated from Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology in 1966, defended a PhD Thesis in 1969 and a Doctor of Science Thesis in 1975. Since 1986 A.S. Holevo is a Professor (Moscow State University and Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology).
A.S. Holevo made substantial contributions in the mathematical foundations of quantum theory, quantum statistics and quantum information theory. In 1973 he obtained an upper bound for the amount of classical information that can be extracted from an ensemble of quantum states by quantum measurements (this result is known as Holevo's theorem). A.S. Holevo developed the mathematical theory of quantum communication channels, the noncommutative theory of statistical decisions, he proved coding theorems in quantum information theory and revealed the structure of quantum Markov semigroups and measurement processes. A.S. Holevo is the author of about one-hundred and seventy published works, including five monographs.
Honours and awards
- Andrey Markov Prize of Russian Academy of Sciences (1997)
- Prizes for the best scientific achievements of Russian Academy of Sciences (1992, 1995, 2008) 
- Quantum Communication Award (1996)
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Award (1999).
- Claude E. Shannon Award (2016)
- Holevo, A. S. (1973). "Bounds for the quantity of information transmitted by a quantum communication channel". Problems of Information Transmission. 9 (3): 177–183.
- Holevo, A. S. (1978). "Studies in general theory of statistical decisions". Proc. Steklov Math. Inst. Steklov Mathematical Institute. 124.
- Holevo, A. S. (1982). Probabilistic and statistical aspects of quantum theory. North Holland. ISBN 0-444-86333-8.
- Holevo, A. S. (2001). "Statistical structure of quantum theory". Lect. Notes Phys. Monographs. Springer. 67. ISBN 3-540-42082-7.
- Holevo, A. S. (2013). Quantum systems, channels, information. De Gruyter. ISBN 978-3-11-027325-0.
- "Timeline of quantum computing".
- "Holevo Alexander Semenovich on Russian informational portal Math-Net". Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- "Homepage of Alexander S. Holevo". Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- "Andrey Markov Award". Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- "Quantum Communication Award". Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- "Alexander von Humboldt Foundation". Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- "Claude E. Shannon Award".
|This article about a Russian mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|