|Born||December 23, 1910|
New York City, New York
|Died||October 28, 2008 (aged 97)|
New Canaan, Connecticut
|Education||B.S. (1930), City College of New York|
LL.B. (1934), Brooklyn Law School
J.S.D. (1936), Brooklyn Law School
M.D. (1951), University of Geneva
|Known for||Bioenergetic analysis|
Alexander Lowen (December 23, 1910 – October 28, 2008) was an American physician and psychotherapist.
A student of Wilhelm Reich in the 1940s and early '50s in New York, he developed bioenergetic analysis, a form of mind-body psychotherapy, with his then-colleague, John Pierrakos (February 8, 1921 – February 1, 2001). He is also noted for developing the concept of bioenergetic grounding, one of the foundational principles of bioenergetic therapy. Lowen was the founder and former executive director of the International Institute for Bioenergetic Analysis in New York City. The IIBA now has over 1500 members and 54 training institutes worldwide.
Born in New York City, Lowen received a bachelor's degree in science and business from City College of New York, an LL.B and a J.S.D (a doctorate in law) from Brooklyn Law School. His interest in the link between the mind and the body developed during this time. He enrolled in a class on character analysis with Wilhelm Reich. After training to be a therapist himself, Lowen moved to Switzerland to attend the University of Geneva.
Lowen lived and practiced for the majority of his life in New Canaan, Connecticut. He suffered a stroke in July 2006. The Alexander Lowen Foundation was founded in April 2007 to continue his legacy. Lowen died on October 28, 2008 at the age of 97.
In 2007, Dr. Lowen established the Alexander Lowen Foundation, which is now directed by his son, Frederic Lowen.
Dr. Lowen authored 14 books as well as numerous articles and other professional abstracts.
- The Language of the Body (1958)
- Love and Orgasm (1965)
- The Betrayal of the Body (1967)
- Pleasure (1970)
- Depression and the Body: The Biological Basis of Faith and Reality (1972)
- Bioenergetics (1975)
- The Way to Vibrant Health: A Manual of Bioenergetic Exercises, co-author Leslie Lowen (1977)
- Fear of Life (1980)
- Narcissism: Denial of the True Self (1984)
- Love, Sex and Your Heart (1988)
- The Spirituality of the Body (1990)
- Joy (1995)
- Honoring the Body: The Autobiography of Alexander Lowen, M.D. (2004)
- The Voice of the Body (2005)
- International Institute for Bioenergetic Analysis.
- "Alexander Lowen: A lifetime of helping mankind". Bio Energetics MSBA.
- Samsel, Michael. "Finding Feeling and Purpose". Reich and Lowen Therapy.
- Loffredo, Peter. "BODY LANGUAGE BY ALEXANDER LOWEN". Full Permission Living.
- "Emotioneel Lichaamswerk". De Lichaamswerker.
- "Alexander Lowen". Wall of Silence.
- The Alexander Lowen Foundation.
- "A Brief Outline of the Characterology of Alexander Lowen". Iahip.