Alexander Peslyak (Александр Песляк) (born 1977), better known as Solar Designer, is a security specialist from Russia. He is best known for his publications on exploitation techniques, including the return-to-libc attack and the first generic heap-based buffer overflow exploitation technique, as well as computer security protection techniques such as privilege separation for daemon processes.
Peslyak has been the founder and leader of the Openwall Project since 1999, the founder and CTO of Openwall, Inc. since 2003, and an advisory board member at the Open Source Computer Emergency Response Team (oCERT) since 2008, and was a co-founder at oss-security.
Alexander received the 2009 "Lifetime Achievement Award" during the annual Pwnie Award at the Black Hat Security Conference. In 2015 Qualys acknowledged his help with the disclosure of a GNU C Library
gethostbyname function buffer overflow (CVE-2015-0235).
- "JPEG COM Marker Processing Vulnerability in Netscape Browsers". Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- "Top 10 Password Crackers". Archived from the original on 30 August 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- "Alexander Peslyak's Bio on openwall.info". Archived from the original on 28 June 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- Michał Zalewski (2005). "Silence on the Wire". No Starch Press. ISBN 1593270461. Retrieved 2015-03-21.
- "2009 Pwnie award". Retrieved 2010-12-17.
- Qualys (2015-01-27). "CVE-2015-0235 - GHOST: glibc gethostbyname buffer overflow". Seclists.org. Retrieved 2015-03-21.