He is best known for being Garry Kasparov's coach from 1976 to 2005. Together they wrote Caro-Kann: Classical 4…Bf5 book (1984). Kasparov said: "The name of Alexander Shakarov might not be world famous, but hardly anyone has lived a life more dedicated to chess. He is one of the most dedicated workers I've ever met."
The fourth chapter of Tibor Karolyi's 2009 book Genius in the Background is devoted to him.
- Kasparov, Garry; Shakarov, Aleksander (1984). Caro-Kann: Classical 4.Bf5. Batsford. ISBN 0-7134-4237-9.
- Shakarov, Aleksander; Belov, Igor; Tsaturian, Valeri; Vilensky, L. (1996). Anthology of Chess Beauty. Saturn-S. ISBN 5-8468-0045-9.
- Армянские звезды спортивного Баку (Russian)
- Гарри - вундеркинд и гений игры (Russian)
- Karolyi, Tibor; Aplin, Nick (2009). "4". Genius in the Background. Quality Chess. pp. 113–147. ISBN 978-1-906552-37-4.
- Alexander Shakarov player profile and games at Chessgames.com
- Alexander Shakarov chess games - 365Chess.com
|This biographical article relating to an Azerbaijani chess figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|