This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||June 14, 1972|
Erlenbach, Bavaria, Germany
Alexander Straub is a German-born entrepreneur, the head of the London firm Straub Ventures, and Cambridge Accelerator Partners. He was a Rhodes Scholar at the University of Oxford. He holds degrees from Darmstadt (Dipl. Ing_ and the other from Cornell (MEng). He also attended Stanford University.
In 1999, Straub and business partner Rouzbeh Pirouz won a Sunday Times entrepreneurship contest. With the prize money and additional funding of around £7.6m they launched Mondus, an online B2B marketplace for SMEs . By April 2000 the business was valued at £760 million (Financial Times Article). Later that year, in August, a 40.7% stake was sold to the Italian firm Seat Pagine Gialle for £100m in cash and shares. Soon after the transaction Straub was appointed as Vice Chairman. He moved to New York City to establish Lazard Technology Partners II, a $300 million venture fund, while Pirouz stayed on with Mondus. The duo later bought back Mondus .
In 2007, Straub co-founded Pixsta, a visual search company that later merged into Empora Group. Today, he remains CEO and Chairman of Empora Group, which operates the social sharing network Fashionfreax and Avenue7. He acquired fashionfreax in 2010.
In early 2017 Straub launched SnapMe, an App based e-commerce company, based on e-commerce enabled via computer vision, machine learning and A.I. in preparation for an augmented reality and VR enabled world.
Straub lives in LA, London and Berlin with his wife Tilla Lindig, founder of Happycoat, and three children.
- "Alexander Straub". Business Week, Bloomberg. New York City. 12 June 2000. Archived from the original on 15 March 2007. Retrieved 2006-10-30.
- Rodger, Iain. "Mondus storms b2b market", BBC Business, London, 4 April 2000
- Cassy, John. "Fledgling Mondus raises £100m with sale of 40% stake", The Guardian, London, 11 August 2000
- Mansfield, Barry. "A True Calling" London, CNBC European Business. 1 January 2008
- "Empora acquired fashionfreax"
-  Straub Ventures