Alexander Township, Athens County, Ohio
|Alexander Township, Athens County, Ohio|
Location of Alexander Township in Athens County
|• Total||37.4 sq mi (96.8 km2)|
|• Land||37.1 sq mi (96.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||830 ft (253 m)|
|• Density||76/sq mi (29.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085748|
Located in the southwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Athens Township - north
- Canaan Township - northeast corner
- Lodi Township - east
- Bedford Township, Meigs County - southeast corner
- Scipio Township, Meigs County - south
- Columbia Township, Meigs County - southwest corner
- Lee Township - west
- Waterloo Township - northwest corner
Name and history
It is the only Alexander Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Alexander township, Athens County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.