29 September 1988
Shellharbour, New South Wales, Australia
The Great |
The Hulk 
|Residence||New South Wales, Australia|
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10 st 5 lb)|
|Reach||72 in (183 cm)|
|Style||Kickboxing, Boxing, Wrestling|
|Fighting out of||Windang, New South Wales, Australia|
|Team||Freestyle Fighting Gym |
|Rank||Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Joe Lopez|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Boxing record from BoxRec|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Alexander Volkanovski (Маcedonian: Александар Волкановски) (born 29 September 1988) is an Australian mixed martial artist and kickboxer. He is also known as The Hulk, given that he has enormous strength for a fairly slender athlete. He is conscious of his super strength and skill and extremely confident about both his body and his fighting prowess - just like the Marvel creation - The Hulk. He is a former two time Australian Fighting Championship (AFC) featherweight champion. He is currently competing in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. As of 26 July 2018, he is the #11 ranked contender in the official UFC featherweight rankings.
Volkanovski was born in Shellharbour, New South Wales, Australia to a Macedonian father and a Greek mother. He started training wrestling at an early age which he won an Australian title when he was 12. He switched his focus to pursue rugby league as the front rower when he was 14 where he won Australia Rugby Mick Cronin Medal in 2010 as Group 7 player with the Warilla Gorillas and won the Premiership with them in 2011.
Freestyle Fighting Gym trainer Joe Lopez said Volkanovski, who was man of the match in the 2011 Group Seven grand final when Warilla beat Gerringong, started training in MMA at the age of 22 and Greco-Roman wrestling to keep fit for rugby league where he weighted 97 kg (214 Ib). However, he soon realised he had a passion for the sport and wants to go as far as he can. He switched to combat sport in 2012 where he fought in the middleweight division as he was weighted 210Ib with his 5' 6" frame prior moving the lightweight and featherweight division.
There are no excuses in fighting. You can be playing a team sport and have a good game, and you can lose. In fighting, it’s all on me. If I go out there and lose, then it’s my fault. I like that. So I know if I fight well, I’m going to win. I definitely love the fact that it’s all on you, and you do what you have to do to win. And each fight is like a grand final in the rugby league"
Mixed martial arts career
Starting has an amateur, at middleweight, going 4–0 before turning professional. Volkanovski has fought in various MMA organisations in Oceania region in Asia from 2012 to July 2016 prior signed with UFC. He won Pacific Xtreme Combat (PXC) and two times Australian Fighting Championship Featherweight titles. Volkanovski amassed a record of 13–1 with 10 straight wins prior joining the UFC.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Volkanovski made his promotional debut on 26 November 2016 and increased his win streak to 11 with a second-round TKO against Yusuke Kasuya at UFC Fight Night 101. He announced at the post fight press conference that he would drop from lightweight to featherweight for his next fight.
Volkanovski was expected to face Jeremy Kennedy at UFC Fight Night: Werdum vs. Tybura on 19 November 2017 in Sydney, Australia. However, Kennedy pulled out of the fight on 5 October citing a back injury and was replaced by Humberto Bandenay. On November 2017, it was announced that Bandenay would delay his UFC debut at this event due to undisclosed reason, and was replaced by promotional newcomer Shane Young. The bout proceeded at a catchweight at 150 pounds. Volkanovski won the fight via unanimous decision.
Volkanovski is married to Emma and he has two daughters, Ariana and Airlie.
Championships and accomplishments
- Australian Fighting Championship
- Australian Fighting Championship Featherweight Champion (Two times)
- Cage Conquest
- Cage Conquest Welterweight Champion
- Pacific Xtreme Combat
- PXC Featherweight Champion
- Roshambo MMA
- Roshambo MMA Lightweight Champion
- Roshambo MMA Welterweight Champion
- Wollongong Wars
- Wollongong Wars Lightweight Champion
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|19 matches||18 wins||1 loss|
|Win||18–1||Darren Elkins||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: dos Santos vs. Ivanov||14 July 2018||3||5:00||Boise, Idaho, United States|
|Win||17–1||Jeremy Kennedy||TKO (punches and elbows)||UFC 221||11 February 2018||2||4:57||Perth, Australia|
|Win||16–1||Shane Young||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Werdum vs. Tybura||19 November 2017||3||5:00||Sydney, Australia||Catchweight (150 lbs) bout.|
|Win||15–1||Mizuto Hirota||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs. Hunt||11 June 2017||3||5:00||Auckland, New Zealand||Return to Featherweight.|
|Win||14–1||Yusuke Kasuya||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Whittaker vs. Brunson||26 November 2016||2||2:06||Melbourne, Australia|
|Win||13–1||Jai Bradney||TKO (punches)||Wollongong Wars 4||8 July 2016||1||N/A||Wollongong, Australia||Return to Lightweight. Won the Wollongong Wars Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||12–1||Jamie Mullarkey||KO (punch)||Australian Fighting Championship 15||19 May 2016||1||3:23||Melbourne, Australia||Defended the AFC Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||11–1||Yusuke Yachi||Submission (triangle choke)||Pacific Xtreme Combat 50||4 December 2015||4||3:43||Mangilao, Guam||Won the PXC Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||10–1||James Bishop||TKO (punches)||Australian Fighting Championship 13||14 June 2015||1||1:39||Melbourne, Australia||Return to Featherweight. Won the AFC Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||9–1||David Butt||TKO (punches)||Wollongong Wars 2||1 November 2014||2||1:52||Thirroul, Australia|
|Win||8–1||Kyle Reyes||Decision (unanimous)||Pacific Xtreme Combat 45||24 October 2014||3||5:00||Mangilao, Guam||Featherweight bout.|
|Win||7–1||Jai Bradney||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Roshambo MMA 3 – In the Cage||26 July 2014||1||4:58||Chandler, Australia||Defended the Roshambo MMA Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||6–1||Rodolfo Marques Diniz||KO (punch)||Australian Fighting Championship 9||17 May 2014||1||3:41||Albury, Australia||Featherweight debut.|
|Win||5–1||Greg Atzori||Submission (guillotine choke)||Roshambo MMA 2 – In the Cage||1 February 2014||1||N/A||Brisbane, Australia||Lightweight debut. Won the Roshambo MMA Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||4–1||Luke Catubig||TKO (punches)||Australian Fighting Championship 7||14 December 2013||3||4:39||Melbourne, Australia|
|Loss||3–1||Corey Nelson||TKO (head kick and punches)||Australian Fighting Championship 5||10 May 2013||3||0:13||Melbourne, Australia||AFC Welterweight Tournament Quarterfinal.|
|Win||3–0||Anton Zafir||TKO (punches)||Roshambo MMA 1 – In the Cage||17 April 2013||4||2:19||Brisbane, Australia||Won the Roshambo MMA Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||2–0||Regan Wilson||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Southern Fight Promotions – Cage Conquest 2||23 February 2013||1||2:49||Nowra, Australia||Won the Cage Conquest Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||1–0||Gerhard Voigt||Decision (unanimous)||Revolution Promotions – Revolution at the Roxy||19 May 2012||3||5:00||Sydney, Australia|
- "Alexander Volkanovski RECORD: 17–1–0 THE GREAT". .fightmetric. .fightmetric.
- "Alexander Volkanovski – "THE GREAT"". Sherdog. Sherdog.
- Latifi, Agron. "UFC debut just the start for Illawarra 'Hulk' Alex Volkanovski". illawarramercury. illawarramercury. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "Alexander "The Great" Volkanovski – Official UFC Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "ALEXANDER VOLKANOVSKI 'THE GREAT'". FightMetric. FightMetric.
- "ALEXANDER "THE GREAT" VOLKANOVSKI". Topology. Topology.
- "Champions". Australian Fighting Championship. Australian Fighting Championship.
- "Fighter Rankings | UFC ®". UFC. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- "From Rugby To UFC, Alexander Volkanovski Just Wins - FloCombat". Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "Volkanovski wants statement with 'savage ground and pound'". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- Latifi, Agron (15 November 2016). "UFC debut just the start for Illawarra 'Hulk' Alex Volkanovski". Illawarra Mercury. Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- "The HULK: Alex Volkanovski Australian Macedonian MMA champion | AUSTRALIAN MACEDONIAN E-MAGAZINE". AUSTRALIAN MACEDONIAN E-MAGAZINE. Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- Submission Radio (16 June 2017), Alex Volkanovski Reveals the Crazy Circumstances He Endured Ahead of UFC Auckland!, retrieved 16 June 2017
- "Alex Volkanovski yet to lose a cage bout".
- Latifi, Agron (15 November 2016). "UFC debut just the start for Illawarra 'Hulk' Alex Volkanovski". Illawarra Mercury. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- "The HULK: Alex Volkanovski Australian Macedonian MMA champion | AUSTRALIAN MACEDONIAN E-MAGAZINE". AUSTRALIAN MACEDONIAN E-MAGAZINE. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- Primetown, Jay. "UFC Fight Night 101 Newcomer Breakdown: Alex Volkanovski". mmaoddsbreaker.com. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- "From the Warilla Gorillas to the UFC, Volkanovski likes his second chapter". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- FNA Staff. "Australian Fighting Championships 15 Results". fight news australia. fight news australia.
- Chris. "Pacific Xtreme Combat 50 Results". Fight News Australia. Fight News Australia.
- Sherdog.com. "Alexander". Sherdog.
- Ho, John Hyon. "Alexander Volkanovski Grounds and Pounds Yusuke Kasuya in Melbourne". The Fight Nation. International MMA. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- Baldwin, Nick. "UFC Melbourne results: Akhmedov grinds out Noke, Volkanovski wins debut". bloodyelbow. UFC. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Alex Volkanovski plans drop to featherweight following UFC Fight Night 101 victory". You Tube. USA TODAY Sports. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- Cruz, Guilherme. "Alexander Volkanovski vs. Michel Quinones off Sunday's UFC Fight Night card in Halifax 7". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 14 February 2017.
- Staff (19 April 2017). "Alex Volkanovski meets Mizuto Hirota at UFC Fight Night 110 in New Zealand". mmajunkie.com.
- Ban Fowlkes (10 June 2017). "UFC Fight Night 110 results: Alex Volkanovski cruises to unanimous-decision win vs. Mizuto Hirota". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Volkanovski earns UFC Fight Night berth". Retrieved 2017-08-24.
- Nolan King (2017-10-05). "Jeremy Kennedy suffers back injury; out of UFC Sydney". mma-today.com. Retrieved 2017-10-05.
- "Jeremy Kennedy out, Alex Volkanovski meets Humberto Bandenay at UFC-Sydney". MMAjunkie. 2017-10-12. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- "Humberto Bandenay out at UFC-Sydney; featherweight sought for Alex Volkanovski". MMAjunkie. 2017-11-08. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- DNA, MMA. "Shane Young maakt short notice debuut tegen Alexander Volkanovski tijdens UFC Sydney". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "UFC Fight Night 121 official weigh-in results: Headliner set, but four fighters heavy". MMAjunkie. 2017-11-18. Retrieved 2017-11-18.
- "UFC Fight Night 121 results: Alex Volkanovski dominates short-notice opponent Shane Young". MMAjunkie. 2017-11-19. Retrieved 2017-11-19.
- Nolan King (2017-12-21). "Jeremy Kennedy vs. Alex Volkanovski added to UFC 221 in Perth". mma-today.com. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- "UFC 221 results: Alex Volkanovski destroys Jeremy Kennedy with second-round TKO". MMAjunkie. 2018-02-11. Retrieved 2018-02-11.
- Dale Jordan (2018-05-09). "Darren Elkins vs Alexander Volkanovski added to UFC Fight Night 133 in Idaho". mmamad.com. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- "UFC Fight Night 133 results: Alex Volkanovski tops typically gritty Darren Elkins". MMAjunkie. 2018-07-15. Retrieved 2018-07-15.
- "MMA fighter Alex 'The Hulk' Volkanovski aiming for world title". News. Retrieved 2017-11-12.