Alexander Volkov (basketball)
Volkov, in 2013.
March 28, 1964|
Omsk, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
|Listed height||6 ft 10 in (2.08 m)|
|Listed weight||243 lb (110 kg)|
|NBA draft||1986 / Round: 6 / Pick: 134th overall|
|Selected by the Atlanta Hawks|
|Position||Power forward / Center|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Alexander Anatolevich Volkov (Russian: Александр Анатольевич Волков; born March 28, 1964), commonly known as Sasha Volkov, is a retired Soviet-Ukraine professional basketball player of Russian ethnicity. He was born in Omsk, Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic, Soviet Union. At 6'10" (2.08 m) tall, he played at the power forward and center positions.
He played professionally for Stroitel (1981–1986; 1988–1989), CSKA Moscow (1986–1988), in the NBA, with the Atlanta Hawks (1989–1992), Panasonic Reggio Calabria (1992–1993), Panathinaikos (1993–1994), Olympiacos (1994–1995), and Kyiv (2000–2002).
He was one of the founders of BC Kyiv. Volkov, who had already retired from playing in 1995, returned to play several games, to help the newly found team in 2000. He later also served as the team's President.
National team career
Volkov won a gold medal at the 1988 Summer Olympics, as a member of the senior Soviet Union national basketball team. He also briefly came out of retirement, to play for the senior Ukrainian national basketball team, in 1998.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
Volkov was elected to the Ukrainian Parliament in 2006 on the party list of the Our Ukraine Bloc. But against the will of his faction, he joined the Anti-Crisis Coalition, which prompted early elections. In the early parliamentary elections in 2007 he was reelected to Parliament through the Party of Regions. Volkov was again elected through the Party of Regions to the Ukrainian Parliament in 2012. But left this party's faction in parliament on 17 April 2014. and joined the (then new) faction Economic Development one week later.
- "Volkov looks forward to All Star Day". FIBA Europe. March 9, 2004. Retrieved October 16, 2010.
- Taylor, Richard (December 3, 1998). "Basketball: England frozen out by Ukraine". The Independent. Independent Print Limited. Retrieved October 16, 2010.
- "Volkov Elected President Of Ukraine Federation". FIBA Europe. June 21, 2007. Retrieved October 16, 2010.
- (in Russian) Волков Александр Анатольевич, file.liga.net
- (in Ukrainian)Московский комсомолец:Рада як ніколи Moskovsky Komsomolets:Council as ever, Korrespondent.net (13 September 2012)
- Alexander Volkov at nba.com
- Alexander Volkov at Basketball-Reference.com
- Alexander Volkov at Eurobasket.com
- Alexander Volkov at legabasket.it (in Italian)
- Alexander Volkov at fiba.com
- Alexander Volkov at fibaeurope.com
- Sasha Volkov, the symbol of Ukrainian basketball
| Chairman of the State Committee on Physical Culture and Sports
(Chairman of the State Committee of Youth, Sports, and Tourism)