Alexander Windsor, Earl of Ulster
|Earl of Ulster|
|Born||Alexander Patrick Gregers Richard Windsor
24 October 1974
St Mary's Hospital, London, England
|Alma mater||King's College London|
|Title||Earl of Ulster (by courtesy)|
|Spouse(s)||Claire Booth (m. 2002)|
|Children||Xan Windsor, Lord Culloden
Lady Cosima Windsor
|Parent(s)||Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester
Birgitte Eva van Deurs
|Years of service||1998–2008|
|Unit||King's Royal Hussars|
Major Alexander Patrick Gregers Richard Windsor, Earl of Ulster (born 24 October 1974 in London), is a retired British Army officer. He is the only son of Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, and Birgitte, Duchess of Gloucester. At the time of his birth he was 9th in the line of the succession to succeed Queen Elizabeth II and is currently 25th.
Education and career
Ulster was educated at Eton College, England before going up to King's College London where he read War Studies, graduating in 1996 as BA (London); he then attended the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst.
Ulster was commissioned in the King's Royal Hussars on 10 April 1998 as a subaltern (second lieutenant) with seniority from 14 April 1995; he was given the service number 548299. He was promoted to lieutenant on 10 April 1998 with seniority from 14 April 1997, and to the rank of captain on 16 October 2000. He saw active service in Northern Ireland, Kosovo in 2002, as well as Iraq. He served in the MND(SE) as an Information Operations staff officer. In Basrah he was responsible for advising on divisional level KLE, monitoring atmospherics within the city and advising on the communications strategy pertinent to the handover of Basrah Palace. On 14 January 2003, he transferred from a Short Service Commission to an Intermediate Regular Commission. On 28 April 2008, he was appointed to the Reserve of Officers, signalling his retirement from the British Army with the rank of acting major.
Since leaving military service, Ulster has worked as director of Transnational Crisis Project.
- Xan Richard Anders Windsor, Lord Culloden (born 12 March 2007) who is currently 26th in line to the British throne
- Lady Cosima Rose Alexandra Windsor (born 20 May 2010) who is currently 27th in line to the British throne
Ulster has been 25th in the line of succession to the British throne since May 2015.
Honours and arms
- - General Service Medal
- - NATO Kosovo Medal
- - Iraq Medal
- - Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal
- - Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal
|Ancestors of Alexander Windsor, Earl of Ulster|
- "Alex Ulster". Crisis Project. Archived from the original on 26 August 2012.
- "No. 55136". The London Gazette (Supplement). 22 May 1998. p. 5819.
- "No. 56055". The London Gazette. 12 December 2000. p. 13980.
- "No. 56880". The London Gazette (Supplement). 18 March 2003. pp. 3414–3415.
- "No. 58811". The London Gazette (Supplement). 2 September 2008. p. 13339.
- Daily Telegraph Birth Announcements – Ulster
Alexander Windsor, Earl of UlsterBorn: 24 October 1974
|Lines of succession|
The Duke of Gloucester
|Line of succession to the British throne
Earl of Ulster
(grandson of Henry, son of George V)
|Orders of precedence in the United Kingdom|
The Duke of Fife
Earl of Ulster
Earl of St Andrews