Alexander von Humboldt German International School Montreal
The Alexander von Humboldt German International School Montreal (AvH; German: Alexander von Humboldt Deutsche Internationale Schule Montreal; French: École internationale allemande Alexander von Humboldt) was founded in 1980. It is located in Baie-d'Urfé (Quebec) in the suburbs of Montreal. It was founded with the goal of providing a multilingual learning environment while satisfying both German as well as Quebec education requirements.
The school is funded through school fees, donations and support from the Federal Government of the Federal Republic of Germany.
Students may not choose to graduate at Grade 11 with the Diplôme des études secondaires and go on to CEGEP; but stay until Grade 12 and get the German International Abitur (DIA). Students may also earn the Deutsches Sprachdiplom, a certificate in German proficiency at grade 12.
The school has courses taught in German, French, and English. In PreKindergarten and Kindergarten courses are mostly in German while French and English courses are introduced in the first grade. The only classes taught in French and/or English are the non-German language classes.
|Grade 10||Sekundarstufe-I-Prüfung||German High School Diploma I (allows students to continue in the Sekundarstufe-II education level)|
|Grade 11||Diplôme des études secondaires (DÉS)||Quebec High School Leaving Diploma (allows students to pursue studies in Quebec's CÉGEP system)|
|Grade 12||Deutsches Sprachdiplom||German Language Diploma granting access to German-language university programs|
|Grade 12||Deutsche Internationale Abiturprüfung (DIAP) (Sekundarstufe-II)||German High School-Diploma II (allows students to study in any programme at any University in the world)|
- Principal: Thomas Linse
- Vice-Principal: Christian Maurer
- Vice-Principal Elementary School: Karin Lagache
- Preschool Coordinator: Kerstin Essig
- "Language skills, especially German, at the core of AvH program" (Archive). Montreal Gazette. September 5, 2014. Retrieved on April 9, 2016. Note: Postmedia's editorial department was not involved in the creation of this article; it was created by Postmedia's advertising department on behalf of the AvH and it was created for commercial purposes.
- "About Us." Alexander von Humboldt German International School Montreal. Retrieved on April 9, 2016.
- Habib, Marlene. "Private Schools: Trilingualism Immersion goes beyond French." The Globe and Mail. Thursday September 26, 2013. Retrieved on April 9, 2016.
- (French) Meune, Manuel. Les Allemands du Québec: Parcours et discours d'une communauté méconnue. Montréal: Méridien, 2003. ISBN 2-89415293-0. - AvH is discussed in subchapter 6
- (German) "Bekanntmachung der deutsch-quebecischen Vereinbarung über die Alexander von Humboldt-Schule Montreal." Bundesgesetzblatt (Germany) Teil II, 1992, Nr. 12 vom 24.04.1992. - Direct PDF link (Archive)
- (French) "ENTENTE ENTRE LE GOUVERNEMENT DU QUÉBEC ET LE GOUVERNEMENT DE LA RÉPUBLIQUE FÉDÉRALE D'ALLEMAGNE CONCERNANT L'ÉCOLE ALLEMANDE "ALEXANDER VON HUMBOLDT-SCHULE MONTREAL"" (Archive). September 1992.
- (German) "Erfahrungsbericht Alexander von Humboldt-Schule Montreal." Humboldt University of Berlin.
- Alexander von Humboldt German International School Montreal
- Alexander von Humboldt German International School Montreal (German)
- Alexander von Humboldt German International School Montreal (French)