Alexandra Cousteau in Ecuador in November 2013, protesting against Chevron and issues relating to the Lago Agrio oil field.
Alexandra Marguerite Clémentine Cousteau|
March 21, 1976
Los Angeles County, California, U.S.
|Residence||Washington, D.C., U.S.|
|Alma mater||Georgetown University|
|Known for||Environmental conservation|
|Parent(s)||Philippe Cousteau, Jan Cousteau|
Philippe Cousteau, Jr. (brother)|
Jacques-Yves Cousteau (grandfather)
Alexandra Marguerite Clémentine Cousteau (born March 21, 1976) is a filmmaker and an environmental activist. Cousteau continues the work of her grandfather Jacques-Yves Cousteau and father Philippe Cousteau, Sr. Cousteau advocates the importance of conservation, restoration and sustainable management of ocean and water resources for a healthy planet and productive societies.
Cousteau is the daughter of Philippe Cousteau and Jan Cousteau and the granddaughter of French explorer and filmmaker Jacques-Yves Cousteau and Simone Cousteau. She is a member of the third generation Cousteau family who explore and explain the natural world. At the age of four months, Cousteau first went on expedition with her father, Philippe Cousteau and learned to scuba dive with her grandfather, Jacques-Yves Cousteau, when she was seven.
Cousteau earned a Bachelor's degree in political science (International Relations) from Georgetown College in 1998. In May 2016, she received an honorary degree of Doctor of Humane Letters from Georgetown University, her alma mater.
In 2014, Alexandra led an expedition to Canada in partnership with the Ottawa Riverkeeper and Aqua Hacking 2015, a conference focused on protecting the river. It's a joint initiative between Ottawa Riverkeeper, Alexandra Cousteau's Blue Legacy, and the de Gaspe Beaubien Foundation.
- Keren Blankfeld Schultz (September 1, 2008). "Alexandra Cousteau Weighs In on the Future of the Ocean". Scientific American. Retrieved January 25, 2017.
- LLoyd Grove (April 22, 2010). "Why Is Jacques Cousteau's Granddaughter Driving John McCain's Bus?". The Daily Beast. Retrieved January 25, 2017.
- "Who is the nouveau Cousteau?". The Independent. September 11, 2008.
- CNN (October 28, 2008). "Future player: Alexandra Cousteau". CNN. Archived from the original on 13 October 2008. Retrieved October 31, 2008.
- "Know your Cousteaus: Diving deep into the family pool". The Washington Post – The Reliable Source. June 8, 2010. Retrieved October 31, 2008.
- Dianne Bates (6 May 2001). "The Undersea World of Alexandra Cousteau". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- Leslie Kauffman (May 18, 2011). "Cousteau Cousins Pitch Water Issues". The New York Times. Retrieved October 31, 2008.
- Blue Legacy (April 3, 2010). "Another Cousteau Working to Save the Waters". The New York Times. Retrieved October 31, 2008.
- "Cousteau Advocates Legacy Building, Environmental Protection". The Hoya. May 26, 2016.
- Ian Urbina (July 24, 2007). "Pressure Builds to Ban Plastic Bags in Stores". The New York Times. Retrieved October 31, 2008.
- Agence France-Presse (2007). "Ocean lures the heirs of Cousteau's legacy". Expatica. Archived from the original on April 22, 2008. Retrieved October 31, 2008.
- Paco Gomez Nadal (February 28, 2007). "En el primer mundo el delfinarios son prehistoria". La Prensa (Managua).
- "Expedition Blue Planet 2010: North America". National Geographic.
- "Jacques Cousteau's granddaughter joins Ottawa Riverkeeper in conservation effort". Metro News (Ottawa).
- "Alexandra Cousteau, Meaghan Murphy and Ottawa Riverkeeper Meredith Brown test the water on the Ottawa River on Saturday, September 14, 2013 to evaluate its quality". Calgary Herald. September 16, 2013.
- Kelly Roche (12 July 2013). "Cousteau lending name to mission to save Ottawa River". Ottawa Sun. Archived from the original on 2016-12-30.