Alexandra Dock railway station
|Original company||London and North Western Railway|
|Pre-grouping||London and North Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||London Midland and Scottish Railway|
|5 September 1881||Opened as Atlantic Dock|
|10 September 1881||Renamed Alexandra Dock|
|31 May 1948||Last passenger train|
|26 February 1949||Official closure|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Alexandra Dock railway station was located on the Alexandra Dock Branch, in Liverpool, England. The station served Alexandra Dock until the last train on 31 May 1948. Formal closure followed on 26 February 1949.
Opened by the London and North Western Railway, it became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923, passing on to the London Midland Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. It was closed by the British Railways Board. As was common practice in the 1950s the station was left intact, sufficiently so for enthusiast's specials to call in 1959 and 1964. By 1971 the station had been demolished and its tracks lifted.
The site today
The buildings and terminating tracks have been obliterated by modern development, but the track past the station site still serves Seaforth Dock; there is a loop a short distance northeast of the station site.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Gell, Rob (1985). An Illustrated Survey of Liverpool's Railway Stations 1830-1985. Crosby, Merseyside: Heyday Publishing. ISBN 978-0-947562-03-8.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
- The station and local lines on multiple maps Rail Maps Online
- The station on line SCT2, with mileages Railway Codes
- Images of Alexandra Dock station(s) Google images
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Terminus||London and North Western Railway
Alexandra Dock Branch
|Bootle Balliol Road
Line and station closed
|This article on a railway station in Merseyside is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|