Alexandra Hedison at the opening of Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere in 2016 in Portugal
July 10, 1969 |
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||State University of New York at Purchase
University of California, Los Angeles
|Occupation||Photographer, director, actress|
|Spouse(s)||Jodie Foster (m. 2014)|
|Partner(s)||Ellen DeGeneres (2001–2004)|
Alexandra Hedison (born July 10, 1969) is an American photographer, director and actress.
Born in Los Angeles, California, on July 10, 1969, she is the daughter of Bridget (Mori) and the actor David Hedison. Hedison is of Italian and Armenian heritage. She attended the State University of New York at Purchase and University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
Alexandra Hedison is a fine art photographer. Hedison first exhibited her series of abstract landscapes in 2002 at Rose Gallery in Bergamont Station, Los Angeles with Robert Polidori, Virginia Beahan and Laura McPhee, David Maisel, Alexandra Rowley and Joshua Bernstein.
As a photographer, In 2005, she exhibited the (Re)Building series, which addressed themes of loss, transition and recovery while using construction as a metaphor for memory in the architecture of the subconscious. Her series of large format photographs entitled Ithaka, which takes its title from the CP Cavafy poem of the same name, was shot in the temperate rain forest of North America. First exhibited in London, Ithaka was included in The New Yorker's 2008 Passport to the Arts and Month of Photography Los Angeles the following year.
Hedison's work is represented in public and private collections worldwide, and her photographs have been shown in solo and group exhibitions in galleries and museums throughout the US and Europe, including Los Angeles, New York, and London.
In 2009 Hedison published a series of books sponsored by the Center of Cultural Intelligence in Singapore.
In 2009 Ithaka series was exhibited at Frank Pictures Gallery in Santa Monica, CA. This exhibition was the Month of Photography Los Angeles (MOPLA) Official Opening Night Exhibition, in conjunction with Pro'jekt LA. In 2010, her solo show "In the Woods" was exhibited at Meredith Gunderson Projects in London, UK. The same year Hedison showed Ithaka in a solo exhibit at Mews 42 Gallery in London, UK.
Hedison did a residency with Myriam Blundell Projects: Willums Art Foundation Residency Programme, Pourrieres, France 2011.
In 2012, her work series Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere was exhibited in a solo show at Diane Rosenstein Gallery in Beverly Hills, CA.
In 2013, Hedison was selected in the "My Aim Is True" exhibition at the Frostig Collection, Los Angeles with William Eggleston, Vivian Maier, Sebastião Salgado, Cindy Sherman, Taryn Simon, Cy Twombly, Diana Walker and Andy Warhol.
In 2013, Hedison was part of "First Anniversary- Exhibition of Paintings and Sculpture and Photographs" at Diane Rosenstein Fine Art, Los Angeles, CA in a group exhibition with John Adelman, Carmen Argote, Sarah Awad, Marco Breuer,Thomas Downing, Charles Fine, Eben Goff, Cleve Gray, Arnold Helbling, John M. Miller, Louise Nevelson, J. Alvaro Perdices, John Sisley.
In 2016 Hedison exhibited in "Both Sides of Sunset - Photographs of Los Angeles" at Kopeikin Gallery, Los Angeles, CA (with Bruce Davidson, Camilo Jose Vergara, David Drebin, David Maisel, Dennis Keeley, Ed Panar, Ed Ruscha, Florian Maier-Aichen, Gary Leonard, Graciela Iterbide, Grant Mudford, John Humble, Kevin Kooley, Lisa Kereszi, Lise Sarfati, Lynn Saville, Mark Ruwedel, Mark Swope, Matthew Porter, Mike Slack, Mitch Dobrowner, Robbert Flick, Sam Cormen, Tim Street-Porter, Todd Hido, Warren Neidich & Zoe Crosher)
In 2016 "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" opened at the Centro Cultural de Cascais, Cascais, Portugal, an exhibit that included photography and film installations. The show in Cascais, Portugal was named in Time Out Magazine as one of the top ten exhibitions in Lisbon during 2016.
- Sleep with Me (1994) as Brunette Actress
- Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (1994) as Remy
- The Hard Truth (1994) as TII receptionist
- Melrose Place (1995) as Dr. Reshay
- OP Center (1995) as C-5 Tech #1
- Max is Missing (1995) as Rebecca
- The Rich Man's Wife (1996) as Party Guest
- L.A. Firefighters (1996) as Firefighter Kay Rizzo
- Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) as news reporter on video tape
- Any Day Now (1998) as Rhonda
- Prey (1998) as Attwood's Boss
- Blackout Effect (1998) as Catherine Parmel
- Standing on Fishes (1999) as Jason's Girlfriend
- Seven Days (1999) as First Lt. Sally Bensen
- Nash Bridges (2000) as Special Agent Victoria Trachsel
- In the Dog House (2005) as The Voice of Maggie
- Designing Blind (2006) (A&E) as Alexandra Hedison
- The L Word (2006 and 2009) as Dylan Moreland
Films as director
- In the Dog House (2005), animated
- The Making of Suit Yourself (2005), documentary
- Corcoran, Monica (August 15, 2004). "A Night Out With -- Alexandra Hedison and Ellen DeGeneres; Burning the Candle". The New York Times. Retrieved October 28, 2012.
- Biography for Alexandra Hedison on IMDb
- "Alexandra Hedison". Out of Bounds Radio Show. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- "Alexandra Hedison Biography". Artnet.com. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- Edwards, Jim (October 10, 2008). "The New Yorker Prints Barclays Ad Upside-Down". CBS News. Retrieved December 24, 2016.
- "Articles & Books". CulturalQ.com. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- "MOPLA - Month of Photography". westsidetoday.com. April 4, 2009. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- "Exhibitions". monthofphotography.org. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- "Alexandra Hedison: Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere". patch.com. October 16, 2012. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- "My Aim Is True: A Photography Exhibition Curated By Jamie Lee Curtis". Artweek.LA. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- "Calendar Details". L.A. Artmachine.com. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- Teicholz, Tom (November 21, 2015). "Pictures of LA: Both Sides of Sunset". Huffington Post. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- "Dez exposições que tem de ver até ao fim do ano em Lisboa". Time Out Lisboa (in Portuguese). Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- Tran, Khanh T.L. (September 23, 2016). "Laurie Anderson, Todd Haynes to be Honored at Hammer Museum's 2016 Gala in the Garden". Women's Wear Daily. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- "Jodie Foster marries her Lesbian girlfriend Alexandra Hedison". Biharprabha News. Retrieved April 24, 2014.
- Corriston, Michele (April 23, 2014). "Jodie Foster Is Married!". People. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- "Alexandra Hedison of 'Designing Blind'". The Tuscaloosa News. August 13, 2006. Retrieved October 28, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alexandra Hedison.|