|Alma mater||Antioch University|
|Awards||Carnes Award (SASH, September 2012), AASECT 2015 Book Award|
|Fields||sex therapy, family therapy|
|Institutions||IITAP, AASECT, Center for Healthy Sex|
Alexandra Katehakis, Ph.D., MFT, CSAT-S, CST-S is the Clinical Director of Center for Healthy Sex in Los Angeles and the author of Erotic Intelligence: Igniting Hot, Healthy Sex While in Recovery from Sex Addiction, Sex Addiction as Affect Dysregulation: A Neurobiologically Informed Holistic Treatment and co-author of the award-winning daily meditation book, Mirror of Intimacy: Daily Reflections on Emotional and Erotic Intelligence and contributing author of the award-winning clinical text Making Advances: A Comprehensive Guide for Treating Female Sex and Love Addicts. She is also the author of Sexual Reflections: A Workbook for Designing and Celebrating Your Sexual Health Plan. Katehakis is a clinical supervisor at American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists and clinical supervisor and member of the teaching faculty for the International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals (IITAP) a national certifying body for sex addiction therapists. She is a regular contributor to Psychology Today and The Huffington Post, as well as a prominent expert panelist at sexuality conferences and public events.
Alexandra 'Alex' Katehakis, Ph.D., holds a doctorate in Human Sexuality from the Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality, and is a licensed psychotherapist (MFT) with a 1997 graduate degree from Antioch University. She holds licensure and certification with several different mental health organizations: Certified Sex Addiction Therapist (CSAT-S) with the International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals (IITAP); Certified Sex Therapist (CST-S) with the American Association of Sex Educators Counselors and Therapists (AASECT); Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) with the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS).
She joined the Walking Theater Group in 1992 at the invitation of actor Joseph Culp who co-founded the process with John Cogswell, Ph.D. She later co-founded the Walking-In-Your-Shoes Group with Culp and shared in the further development of this transpersonal body mind process.
In 1997, Alexandra Katehakis was one of the early practitioners in the field of sex addiction. She became certified as a sex addiction therapist by Patrick Carnes, Ph.D. In her practice, Kathehakis focuses on treating sexual dysfunction, sexual anorexia, sexual addiction and love addiction in individuals and couples. Her first book, Erotic Intelligence, offers a healthy model of sexuality for sex addicts allowing for the diversity of erotic expression while raising the possibility of consecrating sex as a spiritual act. Since 2006, Katehakis has studied affective neuroscience with Allan N. Schore, incorporating Affect Regulation Theory and interpersonal neurobiology into her Psychobiological Approach to Sex Addiction Treatment (PASAT).
In 2009, Katehakis’s article “Affective Neuroscience and the Treatment of Sexual Addiction” was published in Sexual Addiction and Compulsivity: The Journal of Treatment and Prevention. The article focused on the neuropsychobiological impact of early childhood trauma on the affective, cognitive, and behavioral development of sexual addicts.
In 2016, the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists awarded Mirror of Intimacy with the Clark Vincent Award and in 2015, the American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists awarded co-authors Alexandra Katehakis and Tom Bliss with the AASECT 2015 Book of the Year Award. Alexandra Katehakis is the 2012 recipient of the Carnes Award, an acknowledgement for contributions to the field of sex addiction, presented by the Society for the Advancement of Sexual Health (SASH). She’s also a co-recipient of the 2013 Clark Vincent Award from the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT) for her role as a contributing author to the clinical textbook, Making Advances: A Comprehensive Guide for Treating Female Sex and Love Addicts. In 2013, Alexandra Katehakis joined the clinical team at the Meadows inpatient trauma and addiction rehabilitation center in Arizona as a Senior Fellow.
From February 2015 until January 2018, Alexandra Katehakis appeared as a regular guest expert weekly every Friday on "Dr. Drew Midday Live with Mike Catherwood" alongside Drew Pinsky and Mike Catherwood on KABC (AM). Alexandra Katehakis is a regular contributor to Psychology Today and The Huffington Post, writing their annual Best and Worst Sex List. Katehakis makes appearances on radio, film and television news shows, as well as online and print interviews. Notable appearances include Inside Hollywood, Spike TV, Los Angeles Times and CNN. She has appeared on panels at national conferences to discuss sex addiction alongside the likes of Daniel J. Siegel and Christopher Kennedy Lawford, as well as movie screening panel discussions for Shame (2011 film) and, Thanks for Sharing (2012 film), with the film's co-writer Matt Winston.
During the fall of 2017, amidst revelations of sexual abuse by movie producer Harvey Weinstein and others, Katehakis offered her expertise on sex addiction to several publications, including Rolling Stone, the Washington Post, the London Times, and others.
In May 2018, Dr. Katehakis received the Leadership Award from the International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals (IITAP).
- Katehakis, Alexandra (January–March 2009). "Affective Neuroscience and the Treatment of Sexual Addiction". Sexual Addiction & Compulsivity. 16 (1): 1–31. doi:10.1080/10720160802708966.
- Katehakis, Alexandra (March 2000). "Web Site Review". Sexual Addiction & Compulsivity. 7 (1–2): 147–148. doi:10.1080/10720160008400213.
- Katehakis, Alexandra. "The Pathway to Erotic Intelligence for Recovering Sex Addicts". Counselor: Magazine for Addiction Professionals.
- Katehakis, Alexandra (March–April 2010). "Addicted to Sex. There are no shortcuts in treating SA". Psychotherapy Networker. Archived from the original on 2013-04-15 Case Study section
- Katehakis, Alexandra (Jan–Feb 2010). "Supervision of the Treatment of Sexual Addiction: Attending to Counter-Transference Issues". The Family Therapy Magazine.
- Katehakis, Alexandra (November 2, 2010). "Sexual Anorexia". Good Therapy On-line article about sexual anorexia
- Katehakis, Alexandra (September and October 2016). "Sex Addiction: Holistic Treatment Goals and Protocols for Body, Brain, and Relationship". The Neuropsychotherapist.
- Katehakis, Alexandra (Winter, 2017). "Sexual Fantasy and Adult Attunement". The American Journal of Play. 9 (2): 252-270.
- Erotic Intelligence: Igniting Hot, Healthy Sex While in Recovery from Sex Addiction (Health Communications, 2010) ISBN 978-0-7573-1437-7
- Making Advances: A Comprehensive Guide for Treating Female Sex and Love Addicts (SASH, 2012) ISBN 978-0-9857-4720-6
- Mirror of Intimacy: Daily Reflections on Emotional and Erotic Intelligence (CHS, 2014) ISBN 978-0-6158-4951-5
- Sex Addiction as Affect Dysregulation: A Neurobiologically Informed Holistic Treatment (W. W. Norton & Company, 2016) ISBN 978-0-3937-0902-5
- Sexual Reflections: A Workbook for Designing and Celebrating Your Sexual Health Plan (CHS, 2018) ISBN 978-1717166128
- Erotic Intelligence (ISBN 978-0-7573-1437-7)
- HCI Books author bio
- Sex Addiction as Affect Dysregulation
- Psychology Today expert: Alexandra Katehakis
- Huffington Post bio
- CHS Clinical Director bio
- AccessRx interview
- Walking-In-Your-Shoes Institute
- Walking-In-Your-Shoes website
- International Conference on Science and Consciousness
- Los Angeles Times article
- The Fix article
- A Deeper Story article
- Psychology Today biography
- Addiction Pro magazine article
- “Affective Neuroscience and the Treatment of Sexual Addiction”
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service Library Collection
- The Meadows 2016 press release
- The Meadows 2015 press release
- CAMFT press release, pg 12
- The Meadows press release
- "Dr. Drew Midday Live" blog
- Huffington Post Annual Best & Worst Sex List
- Love Addict interview
- Movie Fanatic interview
- "TruthDig article". Archived from the original on 2014-09-05. Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- Inside Hollywood interview
- "Spike TV interview". Archived from the original on 2014-09-05. Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- CNN article
- "Lifespan Learning Institute panel discussion". Archived from the original on 2014-09-04. Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- Shame panel discussion
- Thanks For Sharing panel discussion
- "Center for Healthy Sex - Media". Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- Center for Healthy Sex
- YouTube: Center for Healthy Sex
- Alexandra Katehakis blog at Huffington Post
- Sex, Lies & Trauma blog at Psychology Today
- The Society for the Advancement of Sexual Health
- American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists
- International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals