||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014)|
Alexandra "Ali" Wentworth at the 2012 premiere of What to Expect When You're Expecting.
|Born||Alexandra Elliott Wentworth
January 12, 1965
Washington, D.C., U.S.
|Occupation||Actress, comedian, author, producer|
|Spouse(s)||George Stephanopoulos (m. 2001)|
Wentworth was born in Washington, D.C. to a prominent family. Her mother, Mabel "Muffie" Brandon Cabot (née Hobart), was Nancy Reagan's White House Social Secretary from 1981 to 1983. Her father, Eric Wentworth, was a reporter for The Washington Post. Her stepfather, Henry Brandon, was the editor of the London Sunday Times, and her maternal grandmother was explorer Janet Elliott Wulsin (1894–1963).
After she debuted, Wentworth was a cast member on the Fox sketch comedy series In Living Color from 1992 to 1994, where she was known for impressions of Cher, Amy Fisher, Hillary Clinton, Princess Diana, Brooke Shields, Lisa Marie Presley, Sharon Stone, and others. Her recurring characters included Candy Cane, a deranged kids's show host who had had a string of bad relationships with her male coworkers, and Grandpa Jack McGee's (Jim Carrey) promiscuous teenage daughter on "The Dysfunctional Home Show."
Wentworth also made correspondent appearances on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and The Oprah Winfrey Show. In 1995, she played Jerry's girlfriend Sheila ("Schmoopie") in the famous "Soup Nazi" episode of Seinfeld. She also had a recurring role as the title character's boss on the WB series Felicity. In 2003, she co-hosted the syndicated talk show Living It Up! With Ali & Jack, with Jack Ford.
Wentworth is married to George Stephanopoulos, ABC News Chief Anchor correspondent and former political adviser to the Clinton administration. The two met on a blind date in April 2001, were engaged two months later, and were married on November 20, 2001, at the Archdiocesan Cathedral of the Holy Trinity on New York City's Upper East Side. They have two daughters: Elliott Anastasia Stephanopoulos (September 9, 2002) and Harper Andrea Stephanopoulos (June 2, 2005).
- The WASP Cookbook, Warner Adult, 1997. ISBN 978-0-446-91210-5.
- Ali in Wonderland: And Other Tall Tales. HarperCollins. 2012. ISBN 978-0-06-209809-2.
- Happily Ali After: And Other Fairly True Tales, HarperCollins, 2015. ISBN 978-0-062-23849-8. ISBN 0062238493.
- 2013: Blue Bloods .... Naomi (1 episode, 2013)
- 2013: Breathe In .... Wendy Sebeck
- 2013: Cougar Town .... Jessica (1 episode, 2013)
- 2009: It's Complicated .... Diane
- 2007: Head Case .... Elizabeth Goode / ... (28 episodes, 2007–2009)
- 2001: Call Me Claus (TV) .... Lily the P.A.
- 2000: Meeting Daddy .... Melanie Branson
- 2000: American Virgin .... Mitzi
- 1999: Felicity .... Abby (2 episodes, 1999)
- 1999: Office Space .... Anne
- 1997: The Love Bug (TV) .... Alex Davis
- 1997: The Real Blonde .... Raina
- 1997: Trial and Error .... Tiffany Whitfield
- 1996: Jerry Maguire .... Bobbi Fallon
- 1996: Big Packages .... Susan
- 1996: Life Among the Cannibals .... Suicidal Singer
- 1995: Seinfeld .... Sheila (1 episode, 1995)
- 1994: Hardball.... Lee Emory (unknown episodes)
- 1991: In Living Color .... Various (27 episodes, 1991–1994)
- 2014: Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee (Crackle.com)...Self (season 5, episode 6)
- 2012: The Daily Shot .... Herself (2012— )
Writer / Producer
- 2007: Head Case (28 episodes, 2007–2009)
- Colacello, Bob. The White House's Dinner Theater, Vanity Fair, June 2010.
- Strauss, Gary (March 19, 2009). "In Starz's 'Head Case,' it takes one to know one". USA Today. Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- Steinberg, Jacques (March 4, 2009). "She’ll Interpret, or Become, a Nightmare". The New York Times.
- Daily Shot at Yahoo!
- "Stephanopoulis bride's reluctance shortlived". The Post and Courier. 27 November 2001. Retrieved January 5, 2013.
- "George's Bottom Line". Good Morning America Blogs (ABC News).
- Grove, Lloyd (July 23, 2003). "Ali and George, Living It Up". Washington Post. p. C03.
- Sachs, Mark (May 15, 2009). "Ali Wentworth, 'Head Case'". The Los Angeles Times.
- Alexandra Wentworth at the Internet Movie Database
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Works by or about Alexandra Wentworth in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Alexandra Wentworth in Starz Head Case
- Head Games with Ali Wentworth, tv.com, Laura Swisher, January 30, 2008