Alexandre V. Borovik (born 1956) is a Professor of Pure Mathematics at the University of Manchester, United Kingdom, where he has been working for the past 20 years. He was born in Russia and graduated from Novosibirsk State University in 1978. His principal research lies in algebra, model theory, and combinatorics—topics on which he published several monographs and a number of papers. He also has an interest in mathematical practice and recently published a book Mathematics under the Microscope: Notes on Cognitive Aspects of Mathematical Practice which examines a mathematician's outlook on psychophysiological and cognitive issues in mathematics.
Selected books and articles
- Borovik, Alexandre; Borovik, Anna (2010), Mirrors and reflections : the geometry of finite reflection groups, New York: Springer, ISBN 9780387790664
- Borovik, Alexandre; Jin, Renling; Katz, Mikhail G. (2012), "An Integer Construction of Infinitesimals: Toward a Theory of Eudoxus Hyperreals", Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic, 53 (4): 557–570, arXiv: , doi:10.1215/00294527-1722755.
- Borovik, Alexandre; Nesin, Ali: Groups of finite Morley rank. Oxford Logic Guides, 26. Oxford Science Publications. The Clarendon Press, Oxford University Press, New York, 1994
- Borovik, Alexandre V.; Gelfand, I. M.; White, Neil: Coxeter matroids. Progress in Mathematics, 216. Birkhäuser Boston, Inc., Boston, MA, 2003.
- Borovik, Alexandre; Katz, Mikhail G. (2011), "Who gave you the Cauchy–Weierstrass tale? The dual history of rigorous calculus", Foundations of Science, arXiv: , doi:10.1007/s10699-011-9235-x.
- See Borovik et al (2011)