Alexandria Governorate on the map of Egypt
|• Governor||Abdul Aziz Qansua|
|• Total||2,818 km2 (1,088 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,900/km2 (4,800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
Alexandria Governorate (Egyptian Arabic: محافظة الإسكندرية Muḥāfẓet El Eskenderiya) is one of the governorates of Egypt. The city of Alexandria was historically the capital of Egypt until the foundation of Fustat, which was later absorbed into Cairo. Today the Alexandria governorate is considered second in importance after the Cairo Governorate. It is located in the northern part of the country, directly on the Mediterranean Sea, making it one of the most important harbours in Egypt.
Along with Cairo, Port Said and Suez, Alexandria is one of four governorates in the country that are also municipalities. The governorate capital is the city of Alexandria, the second largest city in Egypt. Alexandria governorate lies along the Mediterranean coast and stretch for about 70 km northwest of the Nile Delta. The governorate is bounded by the Mediterranean Sea in the north, El Behera governorate in the south and the east and Matrouh governorate in the west. The total area size of Alexandria governorate is almost 2818 km2. It has the most important harbour in Egypt and it is the second largest urban governorate in the country with population more than four and half million (4,799,740 in March 2015) and population density of 1700 square kilometres according to the Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics (CAPMAS). Alexandria has a unique geographical location and a mild climate. It is also considered an industrial governorate where 40% of Egyptian industries are concentrated, especially chemicals, food, spinning and weaving as well as petrol industries and fertilizers.
|Anglicized name||Native name||Arabic transliteration||Population
(July 2017 Est.)
|Port Alexandria Police Dept.||اداره شرطه ميناء الأسكندريه||Ādārh Shurṭah Mīnā' al-Iskandariyah||Police-administrated Area|
|Dekhela||قسم الدخيلة||Ad-Dukhaylah||473,916||Kism (fully urban)|
|Amreya 1||قسم أول العامرية||Al-'Āmriyah 1||476,271||Kism (fully urban)|
|Amreya 2||قسم ثان العامرية||Al-'Āmriyah 2||278,968||Kism (fully urban)|
|Ataren||قسم العطارين||Al-'Aṭṭārīn||36,955||Kism (fully urban)|
|Gomrok||قسم الجمرك||Al-Jumruk||92,549||Kism (fully urban)|
|Labban||قسم اللبان||Al-Labān||41,126||Kism (fully urban)|
|Mansheya||قسم المنشية||Al-Manshiyah||23,501||Kism (fully urban)|
|Montaza 1||قسم أول المنتزة||Al-Muntazah 1||1,046,785||Kism (fully urban)|
|Montaza 2||قسم ثان المنتزة||Al-Muntazah 2||542,802||Kism (fully urban)|
|El Raml 1||قسم أول الرمل||Ar-Raml 1||277,937||Kism (fully urban)|
|El Raml 2||قسم ثان الرمل||Ar-Raml 2||631,658||Kism (fully urban)|
|North Coast||الساحل الشمالىجزء||As-Sāḥal ash-Shamāli||2,963||Area|
|Bab Sharqi||قسم باب شرقى||Bāb Sharqi||227,221||Kism (fully urban)|
|Borg El Arab||قسم برج العرب||Burj al-'Arab||92,175||Kism (urban and rural parts)|
|Karmouz||قسم كرموز||Karmūz||104,326||Kism (fully urban)|
|New Borg El Arab||مدينه برج العرب الجديده||Madīnat Burj al-'Arab al-Jadīdah||43,921||New City|
|Port al-Basal||قسم مينا البصل||Mīnā al-Baṣal||253,187||Kism (fully urban)|
|Moharam Bek||قسم محرم بك||Muḥarram Bik||280,609||Kism (fully urban)|
|Sidi Gaber||قسم سيدى جابر||Sīdi Jābir||252,164||Kism (fully urban)|
According to the Egyptian Governing Authority for Investment and Free Zones (GAFI), in affiliation with the Ministry of Investment (MOI), the following industrial zones are located in this governorate:
- New Manshia
- Al Nasseria
- Upper and Lower Mergham
- The industrial zone in K 31, Desert Road
- Al Nahda and its expansions
- Ohm Zagheou
- (New urban community industrial zone) Borg Al Arab
Alexandria is known with its diverse history as it was occupied by several cultures throughout the years.Several monuments nowadays shape Alexandria's historic sites.
- Bibliotheca Alexandrina
- Citadel of Qaitbay
- Graeco-Roman Museum
- Alexandria National Museum
- Royal Jewelry Museum
- Serapeum Temple
- Pompey's Pillar
- Roman Amphitheatre
- Lighthouse of Alexandria
- Al Montaza Gardens
- Al Shallalat Gardens
- Antoniadis Garden
- El-Nozha Garden
- International Park of Alexandria
Alexandria Governorate follows the Egyptian Educational System in its public schools and universities.
Most notable educational institutes
- Bibliotheca Alexandrina ( Alexandria Library)
- Alexandria University
- Arab Academy for Science, Technology, and Maritime Transport
- Egypt-Japan University of Science and Technology in New Borg El Arab city.
- The city of scientific research and Technological Applications
- Pharos University
The governorate of Alexandria has several sports clubs that represents the governorate such as:
- El Ittihad Alexandria Club
- Egyptian Olympic Athletes Club
- Smouha Sporting Club
- Alexandria Sporting Club
Alexandria governorate most common sport is football and holds three main stadiums which are:
- Counselor. Mohammed Mustafa Kamal Dib. ( From April 10, 1952 to January 5, 1957)
- Mr. Mahmoud Ismael Mehanna. ( From March 4, 1957 to September 10, 1960)
- Major. Sedeek Abdul Latif. ( From October 8, 1960 to November 12, 1961)
- Mr. Mohammed Hamdi Ashour. ( From November 12, 1961 to October 27, 1968)
- Major. General. Ahmed Kamel. ( From November 6, 1968 to November 17, 1970)
- Major. Mamdouh Salem. ( From November 18, 1970 to May 13, 1971)
- Dr. Ahmed Fouad Muhyiddin. ( From May 8, 1971 to September 7, 1972)
- Prof. Abdel Moneim Wehbe. ( From September 8, 1972 to May 28, 1974)
- Major General. Ahmed Abdel Tawab Hdaib. ( From May 29, 1974 to November 27, 1978)
- Prof. Mohamed Fouad Hilmi. ( From November 28, 1978 to May 14, 1980)
- Prof. Naim Mustafa Abu Talib. ( From May 15, 1980 to August 23, 1981)
- Mr. Mohammed Saeed Al-Mahi. ( From August 24, 1981 to May 17, 1982)
- Major General. Mohamed Fawzy Maaz. ( From May 18, 1982 to June 9, 1986)
- Counselor. Ismail El-Gawsaqi. ( From July 10, 1986 to July 8, 1997)
- Major General. Mohamed Abdel Salam Mahgoub. ( From July 9, 1997 to August 28, 2006)
- General. Adel Labib. ( From August 2006 to February 2011)
- Dr. Essam Salem. ( From April 3, 2011 to July 2011)
- Dr. Osama Foley. ( From August 4, 2011 to July 2012)
- Counselor. Mohamed Atta Abbas. ( From September 4, 2012 to June 1, 2013)
- Counselor. Maher Mohamed Zahir Baybars. ( From June 16, 2013 to August 12, 2013)
- General. Tarek Mahdy. ( From August 13, 2013 to February 6, 2015)
- Mr Hany El-Mesiry. ( From February 7, 2015 to October 25, 2015)
- Engineer Mohamed Ahmed Abd-El-Zaher. ( From December 26, 2015 to September 7, 2016)
- General Reda Mohamed Farahat. ( From September 9, 2016 to February 16, 2017)
- Dr. Mohamed Ali Sultan. ( From February 16, 2017 to August 30, 2018)
- Dr. Abdul Aziz Qansua. ( From August 30, 2018 to present)
- Alexandria Port
- Al Dekheila Port. ( The second largest port in Alexandria Governorate after Alexandria Port).
- Abu Qir Port
- Eastern Port. ( One of the oldest ports as it was built in 2000 B.C in Racoda village to serve the coastal area in the 'Pharos Island').
Alexandria Governorate has two international airports:
- "رسمياً.. المحافظون الجدد ونوابهم يؤدون اليمين الدستورية أمام الرئيس". Almasry Alyoum (in Arabic). 30 August 2018.
- "الجهاز المركزي للتعبئة العامة والإحصاء". www.capmas.gov.eg. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- "New Valley Governorate Subdivisions". CityPopulation.de. Archived from the original on 2018-11-24. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- "Markazes of Egypt". statoids.com. Gwillim Law. Archived from the original on 2017-10-19. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- "Industrial Zones of Governorate". Ministry of Investment Egypt. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- "محافــظ الإسكندريـــة | المحافظون السابقون". www.alexandria.gov.eg. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- Alexandria Governorate Page in English
- Miscellaneous 1997 statistical information on Alexandria
- El Wattan News of Alexandria Governorate