Alexandria National Cemetery (Alexandria, Louisiana)
Alexandria National Cemetery
|Location||209 Shamrock Ave., Pineville, Louisiana|
|Area||8.2 acres (3.3 ha)|
|Architectural style||Colonial Revival|
|MPS||Civil War Era National Cemeteries MPS|
|NRHP Reference #||97000767|
|Added to NRHP||July 9, 1997|
Alexandria National Cemetery is a United States National Cemetery located in the city of Pineville, in Rapides Parish, Louisiana. It occupies approximately 8 acres (3.2 ha), and is site to 10,164 interments as of the end of 2005.
In 1867, an 8-acre (3.2 ha) plot was appropriated from a local resident to establish the Alexandria National Cemetery. It was originally intended as a place to bury Union soldiers who died in the area during the Civil War, but later, remains from Mount Pleasant, Cheneyville, Yellow Bayou, and Fort Brown, Texas, were re-interred in Alexandria. Of approximately 1378 Civil War burials, 507 are known and 871 are unknown.
Alexandria National Cemetery was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
- There are fifty-seven Buffalo Soldiers interred at the Alexandria National Cemetery.
- Retired Army Col. Thomas L. Gaines (1901-1989), director of Louisiana Army Ammunition Plant in Minden from 1961 to 1969
- Former U.S. Representative Gillis William Long
- Former Alexandria Mayor John K. Snyder is buried in the front row on the left side of the entrance road.
- Major Jacob Brown, for whom Fort Brown in Texas is named.
- John J. Williams (American Civil War), the last soldier killed in the American Civil War.
- Captain Ira W. Claflin
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alexandria National Cemetery (Louisiana).|
- National Cemetery Administration
- Alexandria National Cemetery in Louisiana
- Alexandria National Cemetery at Find A Grave
- Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS) No. LA-4, "Alexandria National Cemetery, 209 East Shamrock Street, Pineville, Rapides Parish, LA", 33 photos, 3 photo caption pages
- HALS No. LA-4-A, "Alexandria National Cemetery, Lodge", 7 data pages
- HALS No. LA-4-B, "Alexandria National Cemetery, Rostrum", 3 data pages