Alexandria Park Community School
|Alexandria Park Community School|
Community, Opportunity, Success
|Alexandria, New South Wales
|Type||Public, Partially Selective & Comprehensive, Coeducational Secondary School & Primary School|
|Website||Alexandria Park Community School|
Alexandria Park Community School (APCS) is a dual campus, partially selective, co-educational Kindergarten to Year 12 School. The school has an innovative junior (K-4), middle (5-7) and senior (8-12) school structure with Opportunity Classes in Year 5 and Year 6 as well as a selective stream in Year 7 to Year 12 for academically gifted and talented students. The Junior Campus (K-7) is located at Park Road and the Senior Campus (8-12) on Mitchell Rd Alexandria. The school has many and varied extra-curricular activities including a junior and senior choir, school band, gym club, Interact (Rotary) Club and after school sports program. There is a Community Centre operating within the school delivering and co-ordinating a community garden and a variety of Pre-School and Parent/Family programs for families with children aged 0 to 5 years including supported playgroups with strong partnerships with the local community, business groups and community organisations.
In 2012, students at Alexandria Park Community School achieved results in the Higher School Certificate that placed the school in the top 100 secondary schools in NSW for the first time, with a rank of 66, improving from number 584 in 2011.
Significant Programs and Initiatives
- Bridging the Gap between the Digital and Social Divide project (every student Kindergarten to Year 12 has access to a laptop computer for learning)
- Positive Behaviour for Learning program (PBL)
- Student Engagement and Retention program (SEARS)
- Kindergarten Transitional Playgroup
- Gifted and Talented initiatives
- Alexandria Park Community Centre
- Australian Indigenous Mentoring Experience (AIME) in partnership with Sydney University.
- National Aboriginal Sporting Chance Academy (NASCA) providing opportunity for students and the community to excel in sport and a pathway to greater success in education, employment and career development.
- Vocational Education opportunities through school based traineeships
- Memorandum of Understanding with the University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Park Rd Studio: Artist in Residence project in conjunction with the NCIE and Carriageworks
The school was formed after the amalgamation of Redfern Public School, Waterloo Public School, Alexandria Public School and Cleveland Street High School. The Cleveland Street High School was formerly located on Cleveland Street in Surry Hills prior to its move to the current Alexandria Park School site in 1977. The Cleveland Street site became an annex to the school specialising in intensive English education
Notes and references
- "Top Schools 2012" (PDF). Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 29 January 2013.