|Farouk I University (1938–1952)|
Alexandria University (Arabic: جامعة الإسكندرية) is a public research university in Alexandria, Egypt. It was established in 1938 as a satellite of Fuad University (the name of which was later changed to Cairo University), becoming an independent entity in 1942. It was known as Farouk University until the Egyptian Revolution of 1952 when its name was changed to the University of Alexandria. Taha Hussein was the founding rector of Alexandria University. It is now the second largest university in Egypt and has many affiliations to various universities for ongoing research.
At the time it became an independent institution in 1942, it had the following faculties:
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Medicine (1942)
- Faculty of Arts (1938)
- Faculty of Commerce
- Faculty of Engineering (1941)
- Faculty of Law (1938)
- Faculty of Science (1942)
A number of institutional entities were established as follows:
- Faculty of Sports Education (1955)
- Faculty of Nursing (formerly the High Institute of Nursing) (1954)
- Faculty of Pharmacy (1956)
- High Institute of Public Health (1963)
- Faculty of Education (1969)
- Faculty of Dentistry: founded in 1971 and serves the city of Alexandria. It is located in El Azareta near the famous Alexandria Library.
- Medical Research Institute (1971)
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (1974)
- Institute of Graduate Studies & Research (1983)
- Faculty of Tourism and Hotels (1983)
- Faculty of Finearts
- Faculty of Kindergarten
In 1989, four faculties, located in Alexandria and administered by Helwan University, were annexed to Alexandria University. These are the faculties of Agriculture, Fine Arts, Physical Education for Boys and Physical Education for Girls.
Notable Alumni & Faculty
- Ahmed Zewail (Faculty of Science, 1967) – Noble Prize in Chemistry 1999.
- Boshra Salem, professor, founder and the Chair of the Department of Environmental Sciences
- Mohammed Aboul-Fotouh Hassab (1913–2000) – Professor of gastro-intestinal surgery; creator of surgical procedure known as Hassab's decongestion operation
- Mohamed Hashish (Faculty of Engineering) Research scientist best known as the father of the abrasive water jet cutter.
- Yahya El Mashad (Faculty of Engineering, 1952) Egyptian nuclear physicist.
- Mo Ibrahim (Faculty of Engineering) Sudanese-British mobile communications entrepreneur and billionaire.
- Ahmed A. Moneim (Faculty of Dentistry) - Egyptian American Dentist.
- Abdel Wahab El-Messiri (Faculty of the Arts, 1959) – Coordinator of anti-Mubarak movement Kefaya (2007–2008);
- Tawfiq Saleh (English literature, 1949) – Film director
- Ossama Salem (Faculty of Engineering,1988 - Professor and Department Chair of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Syracuse University, New York, USA)
- Abdel Aziz al-Rantisi (Faculty of Medicine) co-founder of Hamas.
University Leadership for academic year 2012/2013
- Education & Student Affairs: Prof. Roushdy Zahran
- Community Service and Environment Development:
- Graduate Studies and Research: Prof. Seddik Abdelsalam Tawfik Abdelrahman
Prof. Dr. Osama Ibrahim Al-Sayed Ahmad Al zengery have been elected President of Alexandria University in December 2011. This was the first time in Egypt to have presidency elections .
Alexandria University was ranked 147th worldwide based on Times Higher Education's World University Rankings 2010–2011. The 2010 rankings were controversial, as a single professor's practice of publishing a great number of articles in a journal of which he himself was the editor was identified as a crucial contributing factor for the high rating of Alexandra University Alexandria University is ranked 301+ worldwide based on Times Higher Education's World University Rankings 2011–2012. Alexandria University is ranked 601+ worldwide based on QS World University Rankings 2011/12. It was ranked 701+ in the QS World University Rankings 2014/2015.
Also, according to webometrics Ranking of World Universities it comes 1223rd worldwide and 4th in Egypt.
- "The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1999". Nobelprize.org. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- "Dr. Boshra Salem inducted into U.S. Department of State’s Women in Science Hall of Fame". International Council for Science. Retrieved 10 July 2016.
- "Egyptian renowned film director Tawfiq Saleh dies at 87". Al-Ahram. 2013-08-18. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "World University Rankings 2010-2011". Timeshighereducation.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- Questionable Science Behind Academic Rankings, The New York Times 14 November 2010.
- "World University Rankings 2011-2012". Timeshighereducation.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
-  Archived April 15, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Alexandria University New official website
- Alexandria University official website
- Alexandria University official Portal
- Human Rights Watch: The Repression of Academic Freedom in Egyptian Universities
- Alexandria University on Facebook
- Alexandria University on Twitter