Emelin with the Montreal Canadiens in January 2015
25 April 1986 |
Tolyatti, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||214 lb (97 kg; 15 st 4 lb)|
Ak Bars Kazan
|NHL Draft||84th overall, 2004
Alexei Vyacheslavovich Yemelin (Russian: Алексей Вячеславович Емелин; born 25 April 1986) is a Russian professional ice hockey defenceman currently playing for the Nashville Predators of the National Hockey League (NHL). Emelin was drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in the third round, 84th overall, of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. Emelin is considered a punishing body checker.
Emelin spent a large portion of his career with Lada Togliatti in the Russian Superleague (RSL) before signing with Ak Bars Kazan. He was also a member of Russia's under-18 and under-20 national squads, and has also become a regular member of the senior national team, skating for both in EuroTour and the World Championships.
In a Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) game in 2009, Emelin sustained a face injury during a fight with Alexander Svitov; an orbital bone shattered and had to be rebuilt with metal plate. He has tried to avoid getting into fights ever since the incident.
On 17 May 2011, the Emelin signed a one-year, two-way contract with the Montreal Canadiens for the 2011–12 season. He played his first regular season NHL game on 9 October 2011, in a 5–1 victory against the Winnipeg Jets. In addition, he scored his first regular season NHL point, an assist, on 6 December 2011, in a game against the Columbus Blue Jackets. On 25 January 2012, he scored his first NHL goal against the Detroit Red Wings.
During the lockout shortened 2012–13 season, Emelin established himself as a key member of the Canadiens' defensive core, often playing with fellow countryman Andrei Markov. He scored three goals and 12 points in 38 games for the Canadiens and finished with a plus-minus rating of +2. His season, however, was derailed by an injury during a game against the Boston Bruins on 6 April 2013, when Emelin collided with Bruins forward Milan Lucic, falling awkwardly and tearing a ligament in his left knee. As a result, Emelin missed the remainder of the regular season and the playoffs. On 31 October 2013, he signed a four-year contract extension with Montreal, lasting through the 2017–18 season.
After his sixth season with the Canadiens, Emelin was left exposed at the 2017 NHL Expansion Draft. He was selected by the Vegas Golden Knights on June 21, 2017. On July 1, 2017, the Golden Knights traded Emelin to the Nashville Predators in exchange for a third-round pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft. Vegas retained approximately $1.2 million USD of Emelin's salary in the trade.
Regular season and playoffs
|2003–04||CSK VVS Samara||RUS-2||53||2||4||6||198||—||—||—||—||—|
|2007–08||Ak Bars Kazan||RSL||56||0||4||4||123||10||0||1||1||10|
|2008–09||Ak Bars Kazan||KHL||51||0||3||3||58||7||1||0||1||10|
|2009–10||Ak Bars Kazan||KHL||46||1||6||7||50||22||5||8||13||24|
|2010–11||Ak Bars Kazan||KHL||52||11||15||26||117||9||0||0||0||4|
|2012–13||Ak Bars Kazan||KHL||24||2||7||9||40||—||—||—||—||—|
- "Emelin the Canadiens' mystery man". Montreal Gazette. 2013-02-27. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- "Lightning's Ryan Malone on attacking Habs' Emelin: "It's not old school hockey, it's pretty much hockey"". Tampa Bay Times. 2012-02-28. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- "Canadiens sign Emelin to a one-year contract". Montreal Canadiens. 2011-05-17. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- "Habs ink Alexei Emelin to a 2-year deal". Montreal Canadiens. 2012-06-30. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "Canadiens v Rangers: No changes to defense pairings". habseyesontheprize.com. 2013-04-28. Retrieved 2013-04-28.
- "Canadiens lose Emelin for season to knee injury". National Hockey League. 2013-04-06. Retrieved 2013-04-06.
- "Canadiens lose Alexei Emelin to Las Vegas in NHL Expansion Draft". Montreal Gazette. 2017-06-21. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- "Predators acquire defenseman Alexei Emelin from Golden Knights". The Tennessean. 2017-07-01. Retrieved 2017-07-01.