|Language(s)||Russian, from Greek|
|See also||Alexis, Alexius|
Alexey (Aleksey) (Russian: Алексе́й, [ɐlʲɪkˈsʲej]) (Bulgarian: Алексей, [aleksej]) is a Russian and Bulgarian male first name deriving from the Greek Alexios (Αλέξιος), meaning "Defender", and thus of the same origin as the Latin Alexius.
The Russian Orthodox Church uses the Old Church Slavonic version, Alexiy (Алексiй, or Алексий in modern spelling), for its Saints and hierarchs (most notably, this is the form used for Patriarchs Alexius I and Alexius II).
The common hypocoristic is Alyosha (Алёша) or simply Lyosha (Лёша). These may be further transformed into Alyoshka, Alyoshenka, Lyoshka, Lyoha, Lyoshenka (Алёша, Алёшка, Алёшенька, Лёша, Лёшка, Лёха, Лёшенька), sometimes rendered as Alesha/Aleshenka in English. The form Alyosha may be used as a full first name in Bulgaria (Альоша) and Armenia.
In theory, Alexia is the female form. It is however virtually non-existent in Russian-speaking countries. A popular Ukrainian and Belarusian female name Olesia/Olesya/Alesia/Alesya is one possible form.
The patronymics based on Alexey are Alexeyevich and Alexeev (male) and Alexeyevna and Alexeeva (female).
The following surnames derive from Alexey and its various forms:
- Alyokhin (Alekhine, Alekhin)
- Alexeytsev/Alekseytsev /Alekseitsev
Alexeyevka is a common Russian village name.
Persons known by first name Alexey
- Aleksei (Russian convert to Judaism)
- Aleksey Kadochnikov, developed the Russian martial art Systema
- Aleksey Kuleshov, Russian volleyball player
- Aleshenka, a rumored alien found in Russia
- Alexei Beletski, Ukrainian-born Israeli ice dancer
- Alexei Kovalev, Russian professional ice hockey player
- Alexei Makeyev (born 1991), Russian ice hockey player
- Alexei Nikolaevich, Tsarevich of Russia, the son of Nicholas II of Russia and Alexandra Feodorovna (Alix of Hesse)
- Alexei Ponikarovsky, Ukrainian-Canadian professional ice hockey player
- Alexei Sayle, English comedian and author
- Alexei Shirov, chess Grandmaster
- Alexei Yagudin, Russian figure skater
- Alexey Andreevich Anselm, Russian theoretical physicist
- Alexey Goloborodko, Russian dancing contortionist
- Alexey Leonov, pioneering Russian cosmonaut, first person to conduct a space walk
- Alexey Pajitnov, inventor of the popular puzzle game, Tetris
- Alexey Rykov, a Bolshevik revolutionary and Soviet politician
- Alexey Shved, Russian basketball player
- Alexis of Russia, Tsar of Russia from 1645 - 1676, son of Tsar Michael
- Alexey Karamazov, a fictional character from Fyodor Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov
- Grand Duke Alexei Alexandrovich of Russia, son of Tsar Alexander II
- Grand Duke Alexei Mikhailovich of Russia, grandson of Tsar Nicholas I
- Tsarevich Alexei Petrovich of Russia, the son of Peter I the Great of Russia
- Aleksei Sytsevich, fictional character in the Marvel universe better known as Rhino
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|