Alexis Stamatis is a well-known Greek novelist, playwright and poet born in Athens, Greece. He studied Architecture at the National Technical University of Athens and took postgraduate degrees in Architecture and Cinematography in London. He has published eleven novels. His second novel, Βar Flaubert (Kedros, 2000), a critically acclaimed bestseller in Greece, has been published in UK, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Serbia and Bulgaria. Bar Flaubert has been adapted as a screenplay by the author and the director Vassilis Douvlis. Stamatis has also published six books of poetry. His second book, The Architecture of Interior Spaces, was awarded the Nikiforos Vrettakos Prize in 1994. Τwo collections of his poems have been translated in Great Britain. He wrote the libretti for two musical pieces performed in Megaron Mousikis and the Chora theatre. In 2004, he participated at the world-famous International Writing Program of the University of Iowa through a Greek Fulbright Artists & Art-Scholars Award.
In 2007, the US publishing house Etruscan Press won the 1st International Literary award from the US National Endowment for the Arts to publish his novel American Fugue. Stamatis presented his book in the US in 2008. His tour included around 15 universities all over the country, including Harvard, Yale, New York University, San Francisco State University and Brown.
He has written the following plays, among others: Last Martha, Monologue for the Cultural Olympiad; directed and performed by Dimitris Ikonomou(2003), Dakrygona (Tear Gas), 2010, and Kill Your Darlings, 2012, three-act plays, staged at the Theatre of Kefallinias Street and directed by Aris Troupakis, Melissia, National Theater of Greece 2012 (play reading), Midnight in a perfect world, Monologue (2013) directed by Aris Troupakis and staged at Theatro Technis Karolos Koun, Innerview, one-act play, staged at Southbank Centre, London (2013). for the event "Greece is the word!", Innerview, three-act play, to be staged at the Michael Cacoyiannis Foundation, 2014–15.
In 2009 he was writer in residence in Shanghai, invited by the Shanghai Writers Association. He has represented Greece in various Book Festivals and seminars all over the world. He has been working for many major Greek newspapers and magazines. Ηe currently teaches creative writing at the Hellenic American Academic Foundation (Athens College - Psychico College) and the Herakleidon Art Museum.
- 1998 - The Seventh Elephant. Kedros
- 2000 - Bar Flaubert. Kedros, 16th edition, 2011, 20th edition, Kastaniotis, 2012
- 2002 - Like a Thief in the night. Kastaniotis, 4th edition, 2009
- 2003 - Theseus Street. Kastaniotis, 4th edition, 2004
- 2005 - Mother Ash . Kastaniotis, 4th edition, 2005
- 2006 - American Fugue. Kastaniotis, 4th edition, 2007
- 2008 - Villa Combray, Kastaniotis, 9th edition, 2014
- 2009 - Kill your darlings, Kastaniotis 4th edition, 2010
- 2011 - Sunday, Kastaniotis (2nd edition, 2011)
- 2012 - Can you cry underwater? Kastaniotis, 3rd edition, 2013
- 2013 - Chameleons. Kastaniotis, 2013, 2nd edition, 2014
- 2014 - Melissia. Kastaniotis (to be published on October 2014)
Novellas and short stories
- 2002 - Scorpio in the drawer (novella). Ellinika Grammata, editions
- 2005 - Zoi (novella). Minoas Editions
- 2007 - Stories for Lonely People (short stories), Topos editions
- 2010 - The errand boy - Kurtz Revisited (short story), Magic Box editions ("The Book of Evil")
- 2010 - Legendary Tales (short stories), Kastaniotis editions
- 2014 - Zoi (novella), Minoas Editions [re-issue, 2nd edition 2014]
- 2000 - The Seventh Elephant. Arcadia Books, London, UK
- 2002 - Bar Flaubert. Crocceti Editions, Milano, Italy
- 2003 - Bar Flaubert. Alter Edit, Paris, France
- 2006 - Bar Flaubert. Rd Editores, Seville, Spain
- 2007 - Bar Flaubert. Livre de Poche, Hachette, Paris, France
- 2007 - Bar Flaubert. Arcadia Books, London, UK
- 2008 - American Fugue. Etruscan Press, USA
- 2008 - Fuga Americana. Crocceti Editions, Milano, Italy
- 2009 - Bar Flaubert. Archipelag editions, Belgrade, Serbia
- 2010 - Mother Ash. Nemesis Editions, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2011 - Bar Flaubert. Porto Editora, Lisboa, Portugal
- 2013 - Mother Ash, Kastaniotis edition [in English]
- 2014 - Bar Flaubert, Panorama, Sophia, Bulgaria
- 1992 - The Corner of the World. Socolis Editions
- 1993 - Architecture of the Intimate Spaces. Kastaniotis Editions
- 1995 - A Simple Method of Three. Kastaniotis Editions
- 1999 - Dense Now. Ellinika Grammata editions
- 2002 - The closer I get the more the future gets away. Rodakio
- 2004 - We are never alone. Kastaniotis Editions.
- 2001 - Collected Poetry of Alexis Stamatis. Dionysia Press, Edinburgh
- 2003 - Dense Now. Dionysia Press, Edinburgh
- 2014 - We are never alone. Dionysia Press, Edinburgh (under publication).
- 2008 - Alkis and the Labyrinth. Kastaniotis Editions
- 2008 - Last Martha, Ianos Editions.
- 2009 - Genesis. Two Monologues (The Errant Boy & Genesis), Socolis - Kouledakis Editions
- 2010 - Dakrygona (Tear Gas)
- 2012 - Kill your darlings, Socolis - Kouledakis editions
- 2013 - Midnight in a perfect world - Theatro Technos Karolos Koun editions
- 2014 - Melissia Editions théâtrales de la maison Antoine Vitez
- 2014 - Innerview Philotypon editions
Theatre, opera, and cinema
- 2002-2003 - Look at me. Opera Theatre Group, Chororoes Theatre; directed by Theo Abazis
- 2002 - Last Martha. Monologue for the Cultural Olympiad; directed and performed by Dimitris Ikonomou
- 2008 - Last Martha. Monologue; Theatre of Kefallinias Street, directed by Vicky Georgiadou and performed by Christos Stergioglou
- 2009 - Genesis. Two Monologues (The Errant Boy & Genesis), Chora Theatre, directed by Avra Sidiropoulou and performed by Christos Stergioglou and Rinio Kyriazis respectively
- 2010 - Dream a little dream of me, one-act play, directed by Ektoras Lygizos, performed by Dimitris Makalias, Michalis Oikonomou, Danai Papoutsi for the "24 Hour Plays Athens" (Chora Theater)
- 2010 - Dakrygona (Tear Gas), play, Theatre of Kefallinias Street directed by Aris Troupakis, and performed by Nikos Arvanitis and Danai Papoutsi
- 2011 - Thalamos, one-act play, Theatre "Synetgeion" directed by Giolanda Markopoulou, and performed by Maria Aiginitou, Despoina Kourti, Charis Charalambous (part of the play "Exodus")
- 2012 - Kill Your Darlings, play, Theatre of Kefallinias Street directed by Aris Troupakis, and performed by Antonis Karystinos and Danai Papoutsi
- 2012 - Melissia, National Theater of Greece directed by Eleni Boza (reading)
- 2013 - Midnight in a perfect world. Monologue, directed by Aris Troupakis and performed by Nikos Arvanitis at Theatro Technis Karolos Koun (Athens Art Theatre)
- 2013 - Innerview One-act play. Staged at the Southbank Centre, London, for the event "Greece is the word!" Performed by Nikos Poursanidis and Eva Simatou, directed by the writer and the actors
- 2014 - Innerview Three-act play. Staged at the Michael Cacoyiannis Foundation, directed by Lilly Meleme performed by Nikos Arvanitis, Eva Simatou, produced by Lycophos productions and Giorgos Lykiardopoulos
- 2000 - Socrates. Megaro Mousikis, music by Theo Abazis, directed by Victor Ardittes
- 2000 - A walk in Hades. Orchestra of Colours, Chora Theatre, music by Theo Abazis.
- 2002 - Bar Flaubert. With the film director Vassilis Douvlis Stamatis co-wrote a screenplay based on his novel Bar Flaubert sponsored by the program "GRAFI" of the Greek National Film Center
- 2007-09 - Storm. Original screenplay for a Haris Patramanis film
- 2014 - Light director-screenwriter Vassilis Douvlis. Script editor.
- 2012 Conceived and wrote the text for the iPad application "itravel Us" developed by Top Creations and Propaganda
- 1994 - 1st award of the City of Athens in memory of the Greek poet Nikiforos Vrettakos for his second book of poetry: "Architecture of the Intimate Spaces" Athens, 16 March 1994.
- 2004 - Greek Fulbright Artists & Art-Scholars Award
- 2007 - Etruscan Press won the 1st International Literary Award by the US National Endowment of Arts for Alexis Stamatis' novel American Fugue
- 2009 - First Award of The Circle of the Greek Children's Book- IBBY Greece, for his children's book Alkis and the Labyrinth
Alexis Stamatis, 2015
- 2001 - Represented Greece at the 2001 Leipzig Book Fair.
- 2001 - Represented Greece at the 3rd Round table of European Poetry in Riga and Sigulda, Latvia
- 2002 - Represented Greece at the Sydney Writer’s Festival.
- 2003 - Represented Greece at the Blue Metropolis Writers Festival in Montreal, Canada
- 2003 – Presented the French edition of his novel Bar Flaubert at the Salon de Literature Europeene in Cognac, France
- 2004 – Presented the French edition of his novel Bar Flaubert at the Panorama de la Littérature Grecque Contemporaine in Caen, France
- 2004 - Represented Greece at the Southeast European Literature Festival in Salonika and Istanbul, Turkey
- 2004 - Participated at the world famous International Writing Program of the University of Iowa through a Greek Fulbright Artists & Art-Scholars Award, 2004–05
- 2005 - Spent one month at Villa Mont Noir, the birthplace of Marguerite Yourcenar with a fellowship of The Conseil du Nord
- 2005 - Participated at the Summer School for Translation of the University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
- 2006 - Participated at the 5th Cinema & Literature International Forum of Monte Carlo presentig his novel Bar Flauber which has been adapted as a screenplay
- 2007 - Participated at the Edinburgh International Book Festival, in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 2008 - Did an all USA book tour presenting his book American Fugue which won the International Literature Award by NEA (National Endowment for the Arts). Presented his book at Washington College, the Greek Embassy in Washington, Yale, Harvard, NYU, Brown, San Francisco University, Boston College, Youngstown University, Akron University, Kent University, Loyola Marymound, Michigan University, Iowa University, San Bernardino University, Morningside Bookstore, NY
- 2009 - Spent one month in Shanghai as a Writer in Residence invited by the Shanghai Writer's Association
- 2009 - Participated at the Belgrade Book Fair, in Belgrade, Serbia
- 2011- Participated at the Bosphorous Book Fair, in Istanbul, Turkey
- 2013 - Participated in a panel about the "Crisis and the South" with fellow writers José Luís Peixoto from Portugal and Santiago Roncagliolo from Spain which was held at the offices of the European Union in Brussels, 10 April 2013
- 2013 - Participated in the event "Greece is the Word" at the Southbank Centre London, on 19 October. He was interviewed by Victoria Hislop and a "Innerview" short play of his was staged with the actors Eva Simatou and Nikos Poursanidis, to critical acclaim.
- 2015 - Will spend July 2015 at "La Maison d' Ecrivains Etrangers" in Saint Nazaire (France), having being offered a place at the Writers residency.
- "Innerview, a play by Alexis Stamatis: Southbank Centre, October 2013". YouTube.
- "Innerview" (review by Howard Loxton), British Theatre Guide.