Alfa Romeo Stelvio
|Alfa Romeo Stelvio|
|Assembly||FCA Cassino Plant, Cassino, Frosinone, Italy|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Compact luxury crossover SUV|
|Body style||5-door crossover SUV|
|Layout||F4 layout or FR layout (2.0 Turbo Petrol)|
|Related||Alfa Romeo Giulia (952)|
2.9 L F154 V6 twin turbo petrol |
2.0 L I4 turbo petrol
2.2 L I4 turbo-diesel
|Transmission||8-speed automatic (ZF 8HP)|
|Wheelbase||2,818 mm (110.9 in)|
|Length||4,687 mm (184.5 in)|
|Width||1,903 mm (74.9 in) exl mirrors|
|Height||1,648 mm (64.9 in)|
|Kerb weight||1,660 kg (3,660 lb)|
The Alfa Romeo Stelvio (Tipo 949) is a front engine, all wheel drive, five door compact luxury crossover SUV manufactured and marketed by the Alfa Romeo subdivision of FCA since debuting at 2016 Los Angeles Auto Show and entering production at the Cassino Plant at the end of 2016.
Sharing the platform of the mid size Giulia sedan, the Stelvio uses FCA's Giorgio platform, ultimately to be shared with Maserati, Dodge and Jeep. The name Stelvio derives from the Stelvio Pass, Italy's highest mountain pass, noted for its 48 circuitous switchbacks.
History and development
Preceded by the Kamal concept car in March 2003, the Stelvio is Alfa Romeo's first production SUV, using a modified version of the Giorgio platform shared with the Giulia, available in both rear and all-wheel drive configurations. Alfa Romeo made its first off roader, the Matta, in the 1950s.
The sporting trim level of the Stelvio, the Quadrifoglio, was unveiled on November 16, 2016 at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The European versions of the Stelvio were presented at the Geneva Motor Show in March 2017. The car's engine lineup is similar to that of the Giulia's, with a turbocharged 2.0 litre inline-four and a 2.2-litre diesel inline four.
The Quadrifoglio trim level will offer a 2.9-litre twin-turbo V6 rated with 510 metric horsepower (375 kW; 503 hp) developed by Ferrari for Alfa Romeo. On January 18, 2017, Alfa Romeo began accepting orders for the Stelvio First Edition in the EMEA region. On November 2, 2017, the Stelvio Quadrifoglio went on sale in Italy.
For model year 2019 Stelvio diesel engines got updates to meet the Euro 6d emission standards, with AdBlue technology introduced to tackle particulates in the exhaust. 150 PS (110 kW; 148 hp) and 180 PS (132 kW; 178 hp) versions got 10 PS (7 kW; 10 hp) more power. Also all models have now an 8.8-inch infotainment system with Apple Car Play and Android Auto as standard, and small tweaks have been made throughout the ranges. In Europe consumption standards use now WLTP measuring system, which should give more accurate consumption and emission figures.
Chassis, mechanics and suspensions
The Stelvio uses the same Giorgio platform already used by the Giulia, but slightly modified and raised by 22 cm (8.7 in) compared to the sedan. The Stelvio has also the same engines and most of the mechanics, including a carbon fiber driveshaft. In addition, compared to the Giulia, its track has increased by 2.9 cm (1.1 in) in the rear and 5.4 cm (2.1 in) in the front. It has a boot capacity of 525 l (18.5 cu ft).
It has a 50/50 weight distribution between the two axles, and a drag coefficient of 0.30. To help keep the Stelvio's weight in check, Alfa Romeo uses aluminum for many body parts such as the fenders, hood, and tailgate, as well as for mechanical parts such as the suspension, braking system, and engine.
The suspension, called AlfaLink, implements double wishbones in the front, and an aluminum multi-link configuration in the rear. The springs are longer than those in the Giulia, but stiffer to account for the extra weight and ride height. The driver sits 190 mm (7.5 in) higher from the road than in the Giulia.
Alfa's "Q4" all wheel drive system, which is normally rear drive but sends up to 50% of power to the front in low-grip conditions, is standard on all trim levels, except an entry level turbo petrol version. The Stelvio weighs 1,660 kg (3,660 lb) with fluids, 145 kg (320 lb) less than an equivalent BMW X3 and 185 kg (408 lb) less than a 4-cyl Porsche Macan.
In North America, the Stelvio will be available in three different trim levels: Stelvio, Stelvio Ti (for Turismo internazionale) and Quadrifoglio.
In 2018 Geneva Motor Show was unveiled limited edition (only 108 examples) NRING edition of Stelvio (Nürburgring-inspired special edition). The NRING edition has Carbon-ceramic brakes, Sparco carbonfibre seats, carbonfibre interior trim, a Mopar-branded gear shifter and Mopar floor mats, the cars are differentiated on the exterior by 'NRING' badges as well as carbonfibre mirror caps and side skirts. Equipment is upgraded to include adaptive cruise control and a premium sound system.
In 2018 NYIAS was unveiled Nero Edizione' Package for Stelvio, a new exterior appearance through special blacked-out wheels, badging, and other touches. The Nero Edizione package is available only for the 280-horsepower, 2.0-liter model.
|Euro NCAP test results|
|Alfa Romeo Stelvio (2017)|
The Stelvio was crash tested in July 2017 by Euro NCAP, with a score of 97% for the adult occupant protection. Overall, the Stelvio achieved five star results. For adult protection, the Stelvio did "exceptionally well" , with its near perfect 97 percent score matching that of the Volvo XC90 (all tests are not comparable because Euro NCAP updated its protocols in 2017).
The Stelvio is also fitted with an autonomous emergency braking system (AEB) as standard.
Engines and performance
|Engine/Transmission||Displacement||Max. power output
|Top speed||0–100 km/h (0–62 mph)||Combined consumption
|Petrol engine range|
|2.0 L I4 GME T4 MultiAir Turbo AT8 Q4||1,995 cc (121.7 cu in)||200 PS (197 hp; 147 kW)||330 N⋅m (240 lb⋅ft) at 1750 rpm||215 km/h (134 mph)||7.2 s||7.0 L/100 km (40 mpg‑imp; 34 mpg‑US)||161|
|2.0 L I4 GME T4 MultiAir Turbo AT8 Q4||1,995 cc (121.7 cu in)||280 PS (276 hp; 206 kW) at 5250 rpm||400 N⋅m (300 lb⋅ft) at 2,250-4,500 rpm||230 km/h (143 mph)||5.7 s||7.0 L/100 km (40 mpg‑imp; 34 mpg‑US)||161|
|2.9 L 90° V6 24v Twin turbo 690T AT8 Q4||2,891 cc (176.4 cu in)||510 PS (503 hp; 375 kW) at 6,500 rpm||600 N⋅m (440 lb⋅ft) at 2,500–5,500 rpm||283 km/h (176 mph)||3.8 s|
|Diesel engine range|
|2.2 L I4 Multijet II AT8||2,143 cc (130.8 cu in)||150 PS (148 hp; 110 kW)||450 N⋅m (330 lb⋅ft) at 1750 rpm||198 km/h (123 mph)||8.8 s||4.7 L/100 km (60 mpg‑imp; 50 mpg‑US)||124|
|2.2 L I4 Multijet II MT6||2,143 cc (130.8 cu in)||160 PS (158 hp; 118 kW) at 4,000 rpm||450 N⋅m (330 lb⋅ft) at 1,500 rpm||221 km/h (137 mph)||8.2 s||n/a||129||MY2019|
|2.2 L I4 Multijet II AT8||2,143 cc (130.8 cu in)||180 PS (178 hp; 132 kW)||450 N⋅m (330 lb⋅ft) at 1750 rpm||210 km/h (130 mph)||7.6 s||4.7 L/100 km (60 mpg‑imp; 50 mpg‑US)||124|
|2.2 L I4 Multijet II AT8 Q4||2,143 cc (130.8 cu in)||180 PS (178 hp; 132 kW)||450 N⋅m (330 lb⋅ft) at 1750 rpm||210 km/h (130 mph)||7.6 s||4.8 L/100 km (59 mpg‑imp; 49 mpg‑US)||127|
|2.2 L I4 Multijet II MT6||2,143 cc (130.8 cu in)||190 PS (187 hp; 140 kW) at 3,750 rpm||450 N⋅m (330 lb⋅ft) at 1,750 rpm||230 km/h (143 mph)||7.6 s||n/a||149||MY2019|
|2.2 L I4 Multijet II AT8 Q4||2,143 cc (130.8 cu in)||210 PS (207 hp; 154 kW)||470 N⋅m (350 lb⋅ft) at 1750 rpm||215 km/h (134 mph)||6.6 s||4.8 L/100 km (59 mpg‑imp; 49 mpg‑US)||127|
|AT8 8-speed automatic transmission, Q4 all wheel drive.|
North America engines and performance
|Engine and transmission||Displacement||Max. power||Peak torque||Top speed||0–60 mph (0–97 km/h)||EPA fuel economy
|Petrol engine range|
|2.0 L I4 GME MultiAir Turbo AT8 Q4||1,995 cc (121.7 cu in)||280 hp (284 PS; 209 kW)||306 lb⋅ft (415 N⋅m)||144 mph (232 km/h)||5.4 s||24 mpg‑US (9.8 L/100 km; 29 mpg‑imp)|
|2.9 L 90° V6 24v Twin turbo AT8||2,891 cc (176.4 cu in)||505 hp (512 PS; 377 kW)||443 lb⋅ft (600 N⋅m)||177 mph (285 km/h)||3.6 s||19 mpg‑US (12 L/100 km; 23 mpg‑imp)|
- 2018 'Crossover of the Year' By Popular Mechanics.
- Car and Driver 2018 Editors’ Choice
- SUV of the Year 2018’ for ‘Auto Zeitung’
- Stelvio Quadrifoglio Performance SUV of the Year by AVA
- Panait, Mircea (18 February 2016). "Alfa Romeo Stelvio (Tipo 949 D-SUV) Name Confirmed, Production Starts in Q4 2016". Autoevolution. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles EMEA Press: ge will be completed with new engines including the 200 HP 2.0 Turbo, accessdate: 7. March 2017
- "Alfa Romeo & Jeep: iconic brands to play globally" (PDF). Fiat S.p.A. 2011. Retrieved 17 September 2011.
- "Alfa Romeo will share platforms with Dodge, Jeep and Maserati". Autoblog. February 2, 2017.
- "Alfa Romeo Stelvio Lineup Debuts in NY: Stelvio Pass". Alfa Romeo Press Release. April 6, 2017.
- Taylor, Michael (18 February 2016). "2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio". Auto Express. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Why Buy a Stelvio When You Could Get This 1950s Alfa Romeo Military Jeep?". Road & Track. 2017-07-31. Retrieved 2017-12-15.
- Florea, Ciprian (28 June 2016). "2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio". Top Speed. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio goes on sale". Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio diesels get power boost for 2019: Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio diesels get power boost for 2019, accessdate: 6. September 2018
- Top Gear: Alfa Romeo Stelvio Review | Top Gear, accessdate: 11. June 2017
- Autocar: Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio Quadrifoglio NRING editions on show | Autocar, accessdate: 5. April 2018
- "Alfa Romeo Giulia" (PDF). euroncap.com. Retrieved 5 July 2017.
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles EMEA Press: Alfa Romeo Stelvio is fitted with an autonomous emergency braking system (AEB) as standard, accessdate: 5. July 2017
- Top Gear: Stelvio Quadrifoglio laps in 7min 51sec – the fastest for a production SUV, accessdate: 30 September 2017
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles EMEA Press: Orders open for Alfa Romeo Stelvio First Edition - Press Releases - Fiat Chrysler Automobiles EMEA Press, accessdate: 18. January 2017
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles EMEA Press: seconds in Race mode. The transmission also features a lock-up clutch to give the driver a powerful feeling of in-gear acceleration once the gear is engaged. Depending on the mode you set with the AlfaTM DNA Pro selector, what's more, the auto box optimises fluidity, comfort and ease of driving in all environments, including around town, and further improves fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. Steering-column-mounted, aluminium paddle shifters also feature as standard., accessdate: 16. november 2016
- Automotive World: New term updates for the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio this September | Automotive World, accessdate: 15. September 2018
- "Si stringono i tempi per Alfa Romeo Giulia". tgcom24.mediaset.it.
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles EMEA Press: Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio is ‘SUV of the Year 2018’ for ‘Auto Zeitung’ - Press Releases - Fiat Chrysler Automobiles EMEA Press, accessdate: 31. August 2018
- Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio Named Performance SUV of the Year by Automotive Video Association: Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio Named Performance SUV of the Year by Automotive Video Association, accessdate: 3. October 2018
|Small family car||Arna||145|
|Compact executive car||Giulietta (116)||75/Milano||155||156||159||Giulia (952)|
|GTV and GTV6||GTV (916)||Brera|
|Spider||Spider (105/115)||Spider (916)||Spider (939)|
|Sports car||SZ||8C Competizione||4C|
|RZ||8C Spider||4C Spider|
||GTV, GTV6||75 Turbo||SZ Trophy||155 GTA
155 V6 TI
|GTV Cup||156 D2/
147 GTA Cup