Alfamart

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Alfamart
Subsidiary
Industry Convenience stores
Founded 1999
Headquarters Tangerang, Banten Province, Indonesia
Area served
Indonesia & Philippines
Key people
Djoko Susanto (President)
Revenue Increase Rp 56.1 trillion (2016)
Increase Rp 553.8 billion (2016)
Total assets Increase Rp 19.474 trillion (2016)
Number of employees
42,115 (2016)
Website www.alfamartku.com

PT Sumber Alfaria Trijaya Tbk or Alfamart (IDXAMRT) is a primarily franchised chain of convenience stores from Indonesia, with over 10,000 stores across Southeast Asia.[1][2] Their business started in December 1989 as a trading and distribution company in Jakarta by its president, Djoko Susanto.[3] Ten years later, Susanto ventured to a convenience store as Alfa Minimart with its first branch at Karawaci, Tangerang, Banten.

History[edit]

Djoko Susanto and his family establish a trading and distribution company that sells various products in Jakarta in 1989. The distribution company has its corporate share of 70% with PT HM. Sampoerna Tbk and the remaining 30% were to Susanto's PT Sigmantara Alfaindo.[3]

In 1989, Susanto ventured out into a convenience store business and branded it as Alfa Minimart. They open their first branch at Jalan Banyan Kingdom, Karawaci, Tangerang, Banten. In the span of six years, it grew to 1293 branches along Java. The name was later rebranded as Alfamart.

In 2006, PT HM. Sampoerna Tbk sold their shares to Susanto's PT Sigmantara Alfaindo. Susanto gained 60% of its shares while the 40% of its share was granted to their new shareholder, PT Mulia Prima Horizons.

By 2009, Alfamart joined the Indonesia Stock Exchange with around 3000 branches nationwide. Their business soon renamed as PT Sumber Alfaria Trijaya Tbk. Alfamart soon brought Lawson stores in Indonesia while expanding from being a convenience store chain, to supermarket stores as Alfamidi Mini Supermarkets.[3][4][5][6]

In 2014, Alfamart has 7000 branches in Indonesia with an average of 2.5 million customers daily.[7] With success they grew in Indonesia, Alfamart ventured overseas and started to its neighboring country, Philippines. Their entry to the Philippines was a partnership with SM Investments Corporation with their first branch at Trece Martires, Cavite.[8][9][10] By 2020, Alfamart in the Philippines would start expansion along Visayas and Mindanao areas, particularly in Cebu, Davao, Cagayan De Oro and Zamboanga areas.[11][12]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ "Indonesia's Alfamart to expand retail footprint in the Philippines - DealStreetAsia". www.dealstreetasia.com. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
  2. ^ "Nikkei Asian Review - PT Sumber Alfaria Trijaya Tbk".
  3. ^ a b c "Promo Member Alfamart Minimarket Lokal Terbaik Indonesia". Retrieved 2016-12-01.
  4. ^ "WEBSTA - Instagram Analytics". WEBSTA. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
  5. ^ "Asia Nikkei Review - Japanese convenience stores fail to gain traction".
  6. ^ "Brick-and-mortar retailer Alfamart goes full throttle on e-commerce". Digital News Asia. 2016-05-31. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
  7. ^ "SM Group opens three Alfamart stores south of Mega Manila". GMA News Online. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
  8. ^ "SM group enters convenience store business; opens Alfamart - The Manila Times Online". www.manilatimes.net. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
  9. ^ "Alfamart Philippines targets 3000 stores". Inside Retail Asia. 2015-03-03. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
  10. ^ "SM strikes gold with Alfamart partnership | SM Investments". sminvestments.com. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
  11. ^ "SM Will Introduce Alfa Mart In Visayas and Mindanao". About Cagayan de Oro. 2016-08-23. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
  12. ^ Silva, Victor Anthony V. (2016-08-22). "SM eyes expansion in Visayas, Mindanao". Cebu Daily News. Retrieved 2016-12-01.

External links[edit]