Sir Alfred Hopkinson (28 June 1851 – 11 November 1939) was an English lawyer, academic and politician who served as a Member of Parliament (MP) for two three-year periods, separated by nearly thirty years.
He was the son of John Hopkinson, a mechanical engineer, and among his brothers were John Hopkinson, a physicist and electrical engineer, and Edward Hopkinson, an electrical engineer and MP. He first stood for election to the House of Commons at the 1885 general election, when he was the unsuccessful Liberal Party candidate in Manchester East. He was unsuccessful again as a Liberal Unionist candidate at the 1892 general election, when he stood in Manchester South-West.
Hopkinson finally won a seat at the 1895 general election, when he was elected as MP for Cricklade in Wiltshire. He resigned from Parliament in February 1898, by the procedural device of accepting appointment as Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds.
Hopkinson was Vice-Chancellor of the Victoria University from 1901 to 15 July 1903 and then of the Victoria University of Manchester until 1913. In December 1914 he was appointed to the Committee on Alleged German Outrages, which in May 1915 reported on German war crimes against civilians during the invasion of Belgium in the opening months of World War I.
- "House of Commons constituencies beginning with "C" (part 6)". Leigh Rayment's House of Commons page. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1885–1918 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 148. ISBN 0-900178-27-2.
- Craig (1974); p. 153
- Craig (1974); p. 415
- "Appointments to the Chiltern Hundreds and Manor of Northstead Stewardships since 1850" (PDF). House of Commons Information Office. Archived from the original (PDF) on February 6, 2011. Retrieved 2009-11-25.
- "Glasgow University jubilee" The Times (London). Friday, 14 June 1901. (36481), p. 10.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1885–1918 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 667. ISBN 0-900178-27-2.
- Hulme, Charlie; Nicolson, Lis. "John Cassidy at the Manchester Academy". John Cassidy: Manchester sculptor. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- Hopkinson, Mary & Ewing, Irene, Lady (eds.) (1948) John and Alice Hopkinson 1824-1910. London: Farmer & Sons, printers
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Sir Alfred Hopkinson
- Works by Alfred Hopkinson at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Alfred Hopkinson at Internet Archive
- Works by or about Alfred Hopkinson in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Cricklade
1895 – 1898
Lord Edmond Fitzmaurice
Sir Martin Conway
|Member of Parliament for the Combined English Universities
1926 – 1929
With: Sir Martin Conway
Sir Martin Conway