Alfred Leo Abramowicz
Alfred Leo Abramowicz
|Born||Alfred Leo Abramowicz|
January 27, 1919
|Died||September 12, 1999(aged 80)|
|Occupation||Roman Catholic auxiliary bishop for the Archdiocese of Chicago|
|Ordained||May 1, 1943 by Archbishop Samuel Alphonsus Stritch|
|Director of the Catholic League for Religious Assistance to Poland|
|Title||Auxiliary Bishop Emeritus of Chicago, Illinois, USA|
Alfred Leo Abramowicz (January 27, 1919 – September 12, 1999) was a Roman Catholic auxiliary bishop for the Archdiocese of Chicago who served as Director of the Catholic League for Religious Assistance to Poland from 1960–1995, working as a principal US fund-raising and organizational contact for the Catholic Church in Poland and for the Polish Solidarity movement.
Born in Chicago, Abramowicz attended Archbishop Quigley Preparatory Seminary and University of St. Mary of the Lake, the latter under rector Reynold Henry Hillenbrand, and was ordained a priest in Chicago on May 1, 1943. He studied at the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome from 1949–1952, earning a licentiate in canon law. After service at several parishes and at the Chicago Metropolitan Tribunal, he was consecrated auxiliary bishop of Chicago and titular Bishop of Pesto in 1968, in which capacity he served until his retirement in 1995.
Bishop Abramowicz was a friend and associate of John Paul II, and arranged the details for the visit of then Cardinal Karol Wojtyla to the United States in 1969. For his work for the freedom of Poland, Abramowicz was awarded the Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland.
- Abramowicz, Alfred (January–June 1963), "The Catholic League for Religious Assistance to Poland", Polish American Studies, Polish American Historical Association, 20 (1): 28–33, JSTOR 20147632
- Corley, Felix (1999-09-27), "Obituary: Bishop Alfred Abramowicz", The Independent, London
- Boleslaw Wierzbianski, ed. (1996). Who's Who in Polish America (1st Edition 1996-1997 ed.). New York, NY: Bicentennial Publishing Corporation.
- "www.poles.org memorial to Alfred Abramowicz". Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- "Chicago, Vatican mourn a friend, coinciding with a funeral at Holy Name, Pope John Paul II says a Mass for his friend, a giant in the Polish community", Chicago Tribune, 1999-09-18
- "Postanowienie Prezydenta Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej z dnia 2 czerwca 1993 r. o nadaniu orderów" (in Polish). 1993-06-02. Retrieved 2013-11-24.