Alfred Rawlinson (bishop)
Born on 17 July 1884 and educated at Dulwich College and Corpus Christi College, Oxford, he was ordained in 1910. His career began as a tutor at Keble College, Oxford. Further academic posts at Christ Church, Oxford and his old college followed: he was a Student (the Christ Church equivalent of a Fellow at other colleges) and Tutor at Christ Church from 1914 to 1929, and assistant chaplain and college lecturer in divinity at Corpus Christi from 1920 to 1929. He was also a university lecturer in divinity studies from 1927 to 1929. He was appointed a Canon Residentiary at Durham Cathedral and Archdeacon of Auckland in 1929.
- Dogma, Fact, and Experience (1915)
- Religious Reality: A Book for Men London: Longmans, Green & Co (1918)
- Catholicism with freedom : an appeal for a new policy / being a paper read at the Anglo-Catholic congress at Birmingham on the 22nd June, 1922; and now addressed as an open letter to all members of the Church of England ... London: Longmans (1922)
- Adventures in the Near East, 1918-1922 London: Melrose. Attr. King's College London (1924)
- Authority and freedom: Bishop Paddock Lectures. 1923 London, Longmans, Green (1924)
- The New Testament Doctrine of the Christ Bampton Lectures (1926)
- Christ in the Gospels Oxford: Oxford University Press (1944)
- The Anglican Communion in Christendom London: SPCK (1960).
- Essays Catholic and Critical edited by E G Selwyn London SPCK (1926)
- Essays on the Trinity and the Incarnation London Longmans (1928)
- God and the World through Christian Eyes London: Student Christian Movement Press (1933)
- The Christian Faith: essays in explanation and defence London: Eyre & Spottiswoode (1944).
- Diocesan details Archived 20 November 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- New Bishop Of Derby Archdeacon Rawlinson Appointed The Times Saturday, 21 Dec 1935; pg. 10; Issue 47253; col E
- The Times, Saturday, 18 Apr 1959; pg. 6; Issue 54438; col E Bishop Of Derby
- “Who was Who” 1897-2007 London, A & C Black, 2007 ISBN 978-0-19-954087-7
- Crockford's Clerical Directory1940-41 Oxford, OUP,1941
- "Rawlinson, Rt Rev. Alfred Edward John". Who Was Who. Oxford University Press. April 2014. Retrieved 9 February 2015. (subscription required)
- Bygone Derbyshire
- Amongst others he wrote "Dogma, Fact, and Experience", 1915; "Religious Reality", 1918; "Studies in Historical Christianity", 1922; "The Church of England and the Church of Christ", 1930; "Christ in the Gospels", 1944; "Problems of Reunion", 1950;and "Current Problems of the Church", 1956: British Library Web Site accessed 15 February 2009 08;26 GMT
- Rt. Rev. A. E. J. Rawlinson Scholarly Bishop The Times Monday, 18 July 1960; pg. 12; Issue 54826; col D
- Works by Alfred Rawlinson at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Alfred Rawlinson at Internet Archive
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Derby